BC Wheel tips?

I just got an awesome 24" BC wheel from Darren at Bedford Unicycles and I’ve begun learning how to actually ride it.

So far all I’ve practiced is the “skate mount” on flat ground and I’ve made a little progress there, but I’d love to speed things up. Unfortunately, it seems BC wheels are really uncommon so I haven’t found much online about them.

I’m curious if it’s any easier to learn going down a hill. I figure that way you could get more speed and thus more stability, but getting started might be harder.

Does anyone have any tips to share?

I’m no expert, but the easiest way to mount for me is rolling the wheel, running after it, and jumping on. No joke.

Looking for opinions from more experienced BC riders. Do you think it’s easier to ride a BC with a tire that has a rounder or more square-ish profile, and with a wider or narrower tire? Also, have you found that riding is easier if the psi is high enough to make the tire firm, or a bit on the “springy” side? Btw, this is based on riding on smooth, paved surfaces, not offroad.

Thanks!

I know it’s a little late for this advice, but with a BC Wheel, speed does not equal stability. Plus there aren’t any brakes, so you want to be careful what kind of slopes you go down… :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: Probably all of my BC experience is with 1.75" tires at necessarily high pressures. People with more varied tire experience might have a better idea. What I’m pretty sure about is that you probably don’t want a tire that has textured side treads that spread out wider than the rim. This can be annoying/painful. Smooth is better. With practice, you can rub against it for a braking effect.

Profile: Square might be preferred for learning, since you’re just trying to survive going in a straight line, but otherwise I’d vote for round. I prefer round for any type of riding. Your early turns will be pretty vertical, so a square tire most likely wouldn’t hinder you. You’ll have to develop more confidence before getting into any kind of turns with a lot of lean.

Pressure: Assuming your surface is smooth, higher is better. More pressure means longer rides! Then let some out if your pavement is rough or irregular. But when starting out, try for real smooth pavement (or a floor), as you would when learning to glide or coast. Having a “springy” tire could be useful for some forms of tricks, and possibly even mounts, but for springy to work, the tire has to be wider than the old-school 1.75. Once you make one of those tires springy, the friction is way up there.

I think the perfect tire would be smooth-sided, round, and always clean on the sides (don’t wear long white pants!). :slight_smile:

Then bust out some old ski poles, put rubber bumpers on the tips (I used pieces of old tires), and start cruising up the hills!

Thanks John! That was very helpful.

I just installed this tire which is 20 x 2.1. Pretty smooth all around and psi max is 100. Running it at 75 seems plenty firm. Tread is surprisingly grippy, at least on dry surfaces. If this one doesn’t work out I do have the old school kenda 20 x 1.75.

IMG_0209.JPG