BC Problem

Well, we decided to break out the BC to have another go at learning. It’s coming along quite well, although it’s quite clear that I’m going to take much longer to learn to ride it than Nick, partly because he pretty much can.

The problem is that the nuts tend to unscrew themselves in no time, this problem was there ages ago but I didn’t address it back then. We just have to tighten it up every time before we have another go on it. If we try to tighten it up too much, like with a spanner, then it locks and the wheel barely spins. I think the problem is because we are just using an old bike wheel off a really old bike, and we only have one nut on each side. Surely the true way to have them lock in place would be a nut on each side of the platforms so that they can lock against eachother? Then you’d be able to tighten it up as much as you want. Maybe I’m wrong about that, which is why I came here to ask what your purchased BC wheels are like, or someone that at least knows what they are like. I would try the nut on each side trick, but the axel doesn’t stick out enough for us to be able to do that :frowning:

Thanks for your help in advance,
Robbie

Tightening the outer nut shouldn’t lock the wheel no matter how much you do it, there should be a nut where the axle protrudes from the hub which adjusts the pre-tension on the bearings, this should not be tight, tightening it will lock the wheel and damage the bearings. This is a wild guess but maybe the bearing has jammed and the plate is actually just rotating on the axle? This would account for the wheel locking when the outer nut is tightened and the mysterious looseing of the nuts, which is otherwise inexplicable. When the wheel is spinning the nut and the end of the axle should not rotate in the plate, if this is not the case then you need to have a good look at the bearings in the middle of the wheel.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll take a look at what you suggested… it sounds extremely logical though. I started to get a bit better today but then the wheel shot off in to a curb and is now even moer buckled than it used to be. It looks like we’ll have to find a new wheel shortly anyway.

Thanks once again,
Robbie