Bc brake?

I had this idea, and it was the idea i wsa going to go with for a long time. After talking to colin, and rethinking the idea, I dont think your foot can apply enough pressure to cause the wanted braking affect.

to slow down on this mountain board you lean back on that thing by the back wheel kinda like what your trying to do, hope this inspires someone.

make the plexyglass lever for your leg rap stop like even byrne was talking about in the first post but mount a brake pad like you would have on any bike in the right posision so it would rub on the rim rather then the plexyglass itself rubbing

I dont think one brake pad, pushing into the side of the rim will be enough force to stop you. When its rubbing the tire you get alot more surrface area affected, and a rougher surrface.

I agree that the single brake pad won’t be quite so effective. When you push against the rim, the rim will have to push back, but the only thing holding it upright is the axle, via the bearings. So a bit of the braking force will be applied to the bearings (not just the rim) and that won’t do much to slow you down. A two-pad system works in opposition, so the pads press against each other; the braking force is only applied to the rim.

Evan, I know money shoots out your a** like so much sh*t, but for those of us who can’t afford constant tire replacement, a “tire brake” could wear the tire down significantly… especially if you use an abrasive type pad against the tire.

Now if you use plexiglass against the tire you’re in better shape, but you have to press harder to achieve braking. The question is, how thin would the plexiglass have to be to allow you to bend it… then how thick would it have to be to withstand impact and not break? That sounds like some experimentation is in order.

The calf pads sound deadly. The few times I’ve ridden a BC I’ve had to step off the plates to the front or to the back. But it may be a non-issue for you BC pros…

That is similar to a scooter brake, right?

I think the disk brake with the calf thingy on a pair of bedford or a longer version of your plates should work well.

But the purpose of the calf pad is for a brake, and with a brake, you wont have to bail as much, Problem solved.

yeah calf pad for leverage and a disc brake (rather than V brake) sounds like the way to go

didn’t we already discuss a calf pad and u said it would be deadly evan?

I thought a double calf pad would be hazardous. But you really need to step back, and ask your self, why are you worrying about a possible danger on something with one wheel? Your already signing your own death cirtifficate when you fly down a rocky trail on one wheel, The calf pad will just ensure a painless death.

Good to hear you think the Disc with calf pad will work, Because i sure dont, and i get the wheel tomarow.

no, it doesn’t directly apply pressure to the tire, it activates the disc brake when it is pushed on.

Oh, I completely missed that.

Evan, if your BC wheel completely fails then at least we will have a good wheel for that other thing.

You sure you want a 26" geared?

Sure, if its free:)

That last post was in my old name on accident…

be sure to post a video of you guys riding it. or maybe even a “making of” video.

Will do.

Any more ideas people?

would there be a way to attach brake pads to your shins and then use them to brake?

Yes, but just use a fork or “Arch”. It will deliver more precise, and stronger braking.

didn’t you make a rim brake thingy? what hapened to that? was it not powerful enough?

what if attached grip tape to your 661’s or leg wrap or ace bandage, and then used thatto brake with your shin!!! I think that might work!!!

i have a simple idea.

instead of using an ace wrap, you could take some cutting board, (i may have some somewhere) like some people(like me) use for grind plates, and attach that to a strap and strap that to your leg instead of an ace wrap.

it’d last longer and prolly brake harder.

but the disc brake idea would probably work better.

the calf-activated disc brake sounded like the best idea for what you have in mind, evan.