Bath to Bristol ride

Glad to hear you are available for this one Ian - look forward to meeting again. Hey I can bring a lightweight video camera - perhaps your sis could help by taking some video? If not I know Sean is a master at videoing whilst riding - we may be able to persuade him? Y’see I got through that without making any rude comments :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

Are you sure you’ve got the right guy?
You do remember that bit of the weekend where we lost all that footage because I didn’t push the record button properly, right?

It says “off road route” how rough do you think this is? Has anyone riden it before? Not too rough to rule out 100mm cranks I hope.

I’ll give them a call tomorrow :slight_smile:

The cycle track is pretty flat all the way and I would bring the shortest cranks you’re comfortable with, I’ll probably put 100’s on my 29er for it, never gone shorter than 114’s before so it should be fun.

There’s only one hill and its not very long or steep.

I’m quite looking forward to this, would anyone mind PMing their mobile number for meeting up?

Erm, actually, the first hill is about 5 miles long, although it isn’t steep.

The cycle track is pretty much all tarmac - they probably mean “off road” as in “not on the road” (no traffic) rather than rough. It’s a very easy ride (but can be windy in places).

I was going to say I’ll come along for that, but just noticed the date - I’ll be otherwise engaged.

Rob

Check it out yourself. Here is a route guide with lots of images of the track. Looks pretty good to me

http://www.paulspages.co.uk/bbcycle/bbcyclebb.shtml

I have contacted the Bristol Evening Post to inform them about the Bath to Bristol ride and that a group of unicyclists will be taking part. They expressed interest with a view to sending a photographer and asked me to e-mail some details - that I will do tomorrow.

In the meantime if anyone would like to contribute anything to my e-mail feel free to PM me. Basically it could be:
Where you live (town or city)
How far you have travelled to take part
wheel size of uni (technical details not required)
How long you have unicycled
Anything else you might think of

Into the Blue will no doubt know more about this than me from his work in a newspaper - but I suspect a little bit of light info and some dramatic photos is all they will require if they use it.

Ah thats good, all sounds nice. Im thinking of maybe riding from my house to bristol, then doing the ride and then riding back, to make a century ride. I am also thinking about buying a 36er. Both are just ideas at the moment though so we will see.

Well I guess this is the time I offer you my N36 to try out, before, during or after the ride, or all three! even if you’ve ridden one before I would like to keep your enthusiasm up for getting one :slight_smile: Assuming of course you don’t mind lending me whatever you are riding? 16" with 170’s and a killer road tyre was it? :smiley: yeah way to go…I jest :wink: :smiley: Love to try your 29 out if your in the mood.

Yea I would be more than happy to let you use it and to have a swap. I have jumped on one 36er before but I only cycled it about 100 meters before I had to give it back. I am very half and half on whether to get a 36 or not. If it ended up being dirt cheap I would probably get it, I just dont think I will ride it enough. I dont ride my 29er on the road much, I use it mainly for Muni. The other thing is I am going to make myself a Guni at some point so that would probably take any 36ers place.

Yeah I appreciate what you mean - especially with so many customisable choices. Although my 36 has a decent tread pattern (nightrider tyre) and longer cranks for some off road and trails, essentially I hit the road with it as much as possible. I bought a Nimbus 26 MUni a few weeks ago. It’s a nice contrast to the 36 as I am getting out into the mountains and forests here in Wales.

So, with your preferences going in the MUni direction all the more reason to have a session on the 36 whilst you can :slight_smile: Look forward to meeting up.

I have had a good look around and priced up the cheapest 36er option and decided I am going to keep my money for now. I will start work on my Guni next week when I get back from the friends I am staying at. Hopefully It shouldnt take too long to fabricate and by the time of the ride I should have ironed out any problems and put some miles on it. Either way you should have the opotunity to try out my makeshift Guni or my 29er.

I just spent the last hour getting all my kit together for tomorrow and just realised that it isn’t tomorrow, it’s next week.

What a maroon.

Said it your self.

I never realised it is so soon, will get to work on my Guni tomorrow, I need quite a few parts though which I think will take a while to get hold of :frowning:

Ordering my new rim for my 29er now. Just incase my Guni isnt finished in time.

Is everyone collecting sponsorship money?

I usually do this at work or were I live.

Hmm… additionally maybe I could collect from Joe Public as I ride the route - then hand the collection in at the desk at Bath end. Then repeat the procedure on the way back to Bristol. I’ve seen this done on other events when someone carries a collection box for spectators. On second thoughts, although I’m not in a rush, it could get a bit tedious stopping for the hundreds of spectators expected en route :roll_eyes:

I have decided not to come along to this after all.

Ok, ok you can stop cheering now.

We moved house three days ago and hadn’t appreciated how much work was involved, hey it’s 23 years since we did it last time, so weekends for the next couple of months at least are going to be DIY time.

Hope you all have fun and see you soon.

:smiley: :smiley: Aw, I’m-really-glum-you-aren’t-coming :D:D:D :roll_eyes:

er…does this mean your sister is out as well :frowning:

Just joking, as usual - best of luck with moving Ian - it can be good fun I hear :slight_smile:

Im not sure if I will be riding it now. I cant get hold of a new KH rim for my 29er and my Guni isnt finished yet. Its all together but I realise now that the chain ring on the hub is off centre so it bobs when the wheel spins making it imposible to tension so its very hard to ride because there is too much slop. I need to pull it all apart and remount that :frowning: I will try and do it tomorrow.

Here it is at the moment…

Sorry for the bad photos, only had my phone on me at the time.