Basebikes uni

I have had one for afew years now and it has taken quite a beating. The cranks now creak anyone know why that is and what i can do it sort it? And is there any upgrades worth doing to it to make it better?

Dunk

Come on someone must know about them?

Dunk

Creaking cranks, if it is the cranks, are usually caused by them being worn or lose. Firstly check it is the cranks, not the spokes pedals or seat. The tighten the cranks with an appropriate wrench, they should be pretty tight. If they were very loose then the chances are thast the crank will have been irreperably damaged.

It’s most likely that your uni was a generic no-name which has been rebranded basebike, I’ve certainly never heard the name in several years on the forum.

It is like the old KH ones and summit ones any other ideas?

Dunk

Oh, well is i has the old KH 8 spline crank interface they were known to creak, mine certainly did. The answer is to undo the pinch bolt, remove the end bolt and liberally grease the splines before refitting the cranks (and it’s best practise to reft them on the next spline round). Unfortunately you will probably have to do this every few months. The creaking isn’t very detrimental, just terribly annoying.

Oh dam any ideas on upgrades then?

Dunk

To be frank that’s a pretty good uni, your best bet would be to sell it and trade up for a modern KH or similar, but if that’s the only problem with it I really wouldn’t bother.

Yeh but u don’t get much for them second hand anyway and it been well used. I think i will probs keep it till i breaks compleatly and then get a new one. Will see if i can stop the creaking tomoz cheers. Oh and what do you think of this http://www.unicycle.co.uk/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=646

Dunk

That’s true, second hand value is low and new KHs are exspensive. The Qu-Ax is really popular and reckoned to be pretty strong, it weighs a little more than the KH but that’s no huge deal, and the price is good.

Yeh a bargin at £175 :slight_smile: What do you think to a brake as well are they usefull or just a novelty?

Dunk

Unfortunately that is pretty cheap for a uni, you can easily spend three times that much. I presume you do trials and that kind of thing, brakes are pretty miuch useless for that they’re only used by mountain and distance riders.

Yeh i try :wink: i just saw it on someones and the looked cool though they don’t half stop u well!!!

Dunk

um, if you don’t mind shipping overseas, get the KH20 from www.aebike.com

The Qu-ax is great. I’d spring for the KH if you can afford it. If not, the qu-ax is perfect. And you don’t need a brake.

Yeh how much better are the KH ones?

Dunk

What about koxx ones any good?

Dunk

Do some research. you aren’t going to get unbiased fact by just asking a couple people. Theres plenty of posts on this forum, specifically over in the product review section which will allow you to deduce which uni would be best for you.

Research how where?

Dunk

Well the search button would be a good bet, there have been loads of threads comparing trials unis. The product review forum also has some of these. Check out the company websites and unicycle.com descriptions, see some of the videos of people riding them. People are always biased towards the uni they have, the KH and Koxx are both very good trials unis (and no I don’t have either).

Right i will do cheers

Dunk