Banned from riding to school... not quite what you think

Oh definitely yes. I will comply with not unicycling to school, but completely banning me altogether is straight up not going to happen.

Ha, if you’re being serious you’ve obviously never really been to a Japanese school for any length of time.

These last post have me wondering, which is it. Are the schools in Japan excellent, or crappy?

Also is ‘Fukushima’ really the name of the town or is it a word play to sound like the state of mind your in after being unicycle denied?

Despite this setback, sounds like you have an excellent opportunity with this program. Have fun.

IMO doing some group rides and/or workshops, introducing the general community unicycling as an actual sport and to the different aspects of uni (commuting, MUni, trials, etc.) would be part of “internationalizing” the community.

Even though it’s not necessarily an indicator of the quality of the education going on within, every Japanese school I’ve visited so far feels like it was built in a post-World War II infrastructure-rebuild-fest. They then threw students in there and didn’t care about maintenance for the next fifty years. This is just from my limited sample size, so that is subject to change.

Once inside the school, kids really don’t need to do much. If they’re interested in a specific subject they’ll study and participate, but if they don’t care (and many don’t) they can just piss off and still pass. Kids aren’t held back.

In junior high the kids must take an entrance exam to get into high school, and this is where the differentiation starts to take place. All of those kids who were screwing off and not giving a damn test poorly and go to bad high schools where the kids who cared (or were pushed to by parents) test well and go to a good high school.

The whole purpose of high school is to be able to test well to get into college.

If you tested well in junior high and got into a good high school then tested well in high school and got into a good college, congratulations. You can spend the next four years in college just screwing around, as they really don’t learn much in college.

Once you graduate from college you get hired by a company, and they largely look at the prestige of the college you went to. Now that you’re hired, the company then begins on-the-job training to teach you everything about the job that in most other countries you would have learned in college.

In both the schooling system and life in general, I see lots of stuff here that simply would not fly in America, but there are also many things in the US that would not fly in Japan.

Despite me talking about the negatives, there are plenty of things here that are better than the US and plenty of things that are worse. It’s a give and take, and you just have to get used to that.

Fukushima is the name of both the prefecture and the city where I live. In Japanese it’s written 福島 which literally translates into “happy island”, regardless of the fact that while it’s on an island, it’s not actually an island.

any updates on the situation mate?

Yeah, I posted the final result a few posts back.

Long story short: After discussion with my supervisor I was able to get a better understanding of his position and agreed to not unicycle to work.

i was hoping they had a miraculous change of heart, but alas, no
hope things look up for ya man