Bad to lace a wheel myself and have the LBS do the rest?

Oh uhh… I need rimtape too yeah? :o

You can use duct tape (two strips sticky to sticky side, if you have a drilled rim), or, duct tape over the same length of cordon tape! That way you don’t have to use two strips of duct tape if you have a drilled rim. Easy and cheaper than rim strips, and you’ll have enough to last for years of wheel builds.

It’s this rim. The older KH rim. isn’t rim tape pretty cheap? I’m not going to be seeing it so it doesn’t need to be special colors.

for a non-drilled rim, installing duct tape rim strip is beyond easy. But if you want to buy a rim strip that’s fine too. 29er rimstrip is $6 plus shipping. Big roll of duct tape is about $4.95 for 2"x60 yards. That would make more than enough rim strips for Foss’s collection!

I just never like how duct tape degrades. I’d probably wear out the tire before the duct tape though.

When you get used to build wheels it gets faster, I build all my wheels since about a year now, I never had problems with them, I even make money from my brother by builting his b*ke wheels :stuck_out_tongue: If I’m builting my wheel, I will just use my finger to make it true, because if it’s not perfect I dont really matter because it will get un-trued over time anyway (Trials/street wheels), if I’m builting someone elses wheel I’m going to use a strap to be sure it’s perfect.

Also, I used Sheldon Brown’s tutorial to first learn to built wheels, I only looked at the drawings though :slight_smile:

When you get used to build wheels it gets faster, I build all my wheels since about a year now, I never had problems with them, I even make money from my brother by builting his b*ke wheels :stuck_out_tongue: If I’m builting my wheel, I will just use my finger to make it true, because if it’s not perfect I dont really matter because it will get un-trued over time anyway (Trials/street wheels), if I’m builting someone elses wheel I’m going to use a strap to be sure it’s perfect.

Also, I used Sheldon Brown’s tutorial to first learn to built wheels, I only looked at the drawings though :slight_smile:

That’s all I use and it’s still good after 5 years on the same MUni! :smiley:

Oh cool. You just need to use enough to cover the holes and have it secure so it doesn’t slip around right?

By “holes” I assume you mean the spoke holes. My [large marge] MUni rim is not drilled, so I only needed one strip of duct tape to go around. It has stayed in place just fine after several tire changes/flat repairs.

Strapping tape works great too and probably lasts longer than duct tape.

Strapping tape is just clear packaging tape?

It usually has fibreglass strands which makes it really tough and non-stretch.

Beat me to it… I have it in my 36-er :slight_smile:

Oh yes yes, I think I have a roll of it around. Thanks guys

Word… Build it and post it…
Welcome to the world of uni-obsessed :smiley:

Yep, was telling Terry that I haven’t even built my 29er yet and I’m already looking at 36ers on UDC. I got the disease.

Here’s my first attempt at wheelbuilding. It’s a Coker super wide hub, 48 spoke on a 29" Sun Rhyno Lite wheel. The cranks are 125 Cokers. Took me 2 hours.

IMG_1214.JPG

What frame are you pairing a 29-er superwide set-up with? I thought those hubs only fit the 36-er frames.

Success! I did an awesome job for my first build. Laced it up in about 20 minutes no problems, then adjusting took me quite a while just using the frame. But I got it really really close to perfect. I took it out for a spin today and had a blast!! Thanks to everyone that helped me in doing my first build! Especially Tirving and Terry who put up with my silly questions in PMs and the wonderful folks at the LBS!

I’ll post a pic tomorrow hopefully!