Bad fall last night - kinda shaken

I have those too, but the wrist protection seems soo thin. If you land too hard, surely your wrist will break. Before this I had hard plastic rollerblade wrist protectors. The only downside to them was that my fingers were bare and wearing gloves underneath them wasn’t really possible.

Agree on this one, I don’t trust the KH gloves for big falls.

Hillbillies are the answer :). Gloves and wristguards in one.

Thanks. A google search shows both the cool wristguard gloves and some Halloween hillbilly costumes. Maybe they go together. Then I can give peeps a real scare when riding past their bicycles.:smiley:

I saw a post on here a few years ago from someone with a broken wrist who concluded KH gloves really don’t offer adequate protection.

I use Hillbillies. Love them but I bought them from a serious rider who described them as unsuitable for unicycling. I think it depends on how you hold the handle. I have always used wrist guards so I have always held on with my fingers.

I have the Kh’s with gloved fingers. The only other thing I have against them is that they are very warm in summer, but when I tumble on my hands, my finger tips also lay open somehow. I will look around for hillbillies. Will also be nice now that it is getting winter again.

Good for you for trying to get back into this now. There’s no better time!

There was a European guy (Germany?) at the Snowqualmie UNICON who was riding in his late 80s. Not a 36", something smaller. On the track. Not overly fast. I’m not sure if he free mounted.

I suggest not trying to free mount until you feel comfortable riding again.

I have both KH gloves and wear them both, depending on temperature. I Have the Hillbilly gloves too, which seem great , if you plan on flying off the front, superman like.

I never plan on flying off the front, but it does occasionally happen. I once owned a pair of KH gloves. Not enough wrist protection, especially when all my 210 lbs go down on my hands. The plastic inserts in the wrist protectors interfered a bit when I was holding the seat handle, but once I switched to bar ends, the problem went away.

The total protection includes unbreakable wrist guards (roller bladers made these popular years ago), ankle biters, knee and elbow pads, and helmet.

Plus hip pads. (Mine are 25 mm thick high density closed-cell foam in calico coin bags tucked inside my shorts.)

I also use hard plastic hockey shin pads when on the trials uni.

BTW I just bought some of the same pads in a kids size which I plan to modify into forearm guards for protection from falls on concrete edges such as steps.

Don’t forget spine and tailbone protection.