Backyard Trials-ish

Yeah, it’s sturdy as hell. I’ma make a video on that stuff in the next week or two, if I have time.

Man that is some pretty impressive stuff there.

And to further threadjack the topic while backing up Skrobos claim that Torx are the way to go, last summer I put on 6 pallats of nova brick on our house, one bit :smiley: it was awsome it’s like having a splined hub vs a square taper, which one is better?

That is completley AWESOME! I really like all of them. I absolutley need to make some trials stuff now.

thats realy cool! I think you might kill the stairs in time though

those obstacles look amazing. Really ssturdy and well made looking.

how long and how much did it set you back for? Sweet, i hope i make some similar stuff soon

Those obstacles look really good. I’m hoping they stand up to trials abuse well. Just out of interest, are you going to bother adding little improvements to the wooden structures?

Well, it’s just that in raw wood form, after becoming wet loads and loads, the wood will eventually get very fragile over time. Surely maybe, it’s OK to varnish it to add a water resistant layer, and then stip skateboard griptape to certain parts of the obstacles that really need grip for tyres.

Just a suggestion, but meh. Props for making them though

Those are good ideas. I’m not so sure what to do about the wetness. Humidity in Oklahoma is really high, so that alone could cause problems. I’ll probably keep them in my garage cause I won’t get to use them every day.

Here’s a quick video of me using the stairs and boxes. My grass was wet so I put them in the street, so one of the stair cases isn’t sitting flat cause of my street. In the grass there’s no wobble.

they look smaller in the pic, they look pritty sturdy in the vid, good job

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Dam good trials skills to match those construction skills:)

So how much did the wood cost?

Oh, I spent $90 all together, but I still have like…4 8’ long 2x4s, a sheet of plywood, and like 6’ of 2x10 left. I am gonna build a couple smaller things to play on when I get a chance.

very good job on that stuff you do in that vid

I really want to build something like this now

yea, you should have made them out of pressure treated wood. but nice obstacles, really clean.

Looks awesome!

Also VERY SMARTLY designed. Impressive that you figured out how to make them modular so they stack and integrate with each other so you can change up the “course” a bit.

Nice Job :slight_smile:

Nice work, you gave me a few ideas.
We should compile a database of awesome trials courses, so we can share some cool ideas.
I like the clean look of your obstacles, but the price seems a bit steep. I about that much in nails and gas for the saws we used to make this and more: .

Your setup is top notch, and especially for the amount of space it uses + storage. I am going to build something like this this summer, with a few changes for my level.

Real short clip from this morning.

i agree:D

A trick I used on a boat once

Paint it. Sprinkle with sand. Then paint over that. This proved to be none slip on a wet rocking surface. :slight_smile:

How did you attach the legs on these platforms? Really long nails or screws through the top side pieces? Are there brackets underneath? If no “L” brackets, what would prevent them from folding? The angled pieces will support them on on plane only.

platforms.jpg

Edit time ran out! I meant to say that the corner legs seem strongest since the angled support and the leg form an “L”, whereas the center legs are on the same plane. Are they bracketed underneath?

If not, what would prevent the middle legs from collapsing inward or outward, under a heavy load? Is it partially because they are so short that it wouldn’t be a problem? Would you use the same design if the platforms were 5’ tall?

I look forward to your reply as I really want to start making some like this. I’m now thinking about making three at 16" each, to stack to the height of my stair set, and also to use separately for other stuff like gaps, etc. :smiley: