Backwards Unicycle Riding

I had a long comment discussing my thoughts on how that thinking would lead to no one being able to give any advice, because it might always be discouraging to beginners, but the page randomly reloading has deleted most of it. Maybe for the better, since it is a bit OT for this thread. Since I’m thinking of making a Muni- Tutorial series, I might just open a thread where that discussion would be more appropriate anyway in a bit.

What I’m going to say on topic is: As with any skill, everyone struggles with a different part of riding backwards. I’ve seen people, where them just randomly getting out of the rythm of pedaling for no apparent reason was their only issue, telling them to “pedal smoothly” and them then focussing on that helped a lot. Others do some jerky riding, because they are correcting their balance a lot, and that is fine and will smooth out over time. Same for keeping an eye on posture. A bit of slouching while focused on balancing is usually okay, but someone else may be sitting in a twisted position in 2 axis, with a fully rounded back, which will surely be a hinderance, and needs correction. The same piece of advice may be unneccessary, or even distracting from the actual issue for one rider, but the key piece of the puzzle for another rider.

As people essentially writing tips for no one specific at all, we can only share the things that helped us (and maybe others we’ve seen). I won’t go as far as saying there is no right or wrong, but I’m certain that there is no “one size fits all”.

1 Like

ALRIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT let’s get back on topic!!!

However, I’m glad to see that this thread has inspired some good discussion:

1. Mikefule you’re advice on focusing on a fixed point is great. If you have total control of your body system(posture, core, legs, feet, knees,…etc) perfectly calibrated to your eye tracking movement of a stationary object as you are moving away from it. Then it will work kind of like a guided missile. Total body and eye coordination is like perfect pitch in musicians. That is rare and I can see that you can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t713_vy7R4. Ultimate wheel. Amazing. However, I don’t think most of us regular riders can follow that advice. Most of us need to understand how to move our bodies to move the pedals to go backwards, first. Actually, I would like to attempt the ultimate wheel, someday please make some more videos on that.

2. Gockie: Regarding, learning backwards riding from practicing SUPER IDLING . That is 50% of what I did to learn backwards. However, when idling there is a “pendulum leaning action” that does not translate to learning backwards riding. When riding backwards you are straight up or slightly backwards leaning. You don’t get to practice this from normal super idling. So, in addition I did this:
    a.) Stall at the “end point” of each idle by trying to balance perfectly at the 3 and 9 o’clock position. Then rock back.
    b.) Stand up at “end point” of each idle.
    c.) Oh heck, just do the whole idle standing up.

Learning to stall at the 3/9 o’clock position allows you to “pause” between each backwards step. So, if you can do this then the “drop” into each backwards down pedal is not so scary and very controlled.

3.) Johnfoss & Siddhartha: Regarding DISMOUNTING!!! That is a really great point especially, if you are like “most of us” who refuse to suit up like JimT for riding protection. As we practice more riding, we all develop this “recovery reflex” but when we are in the learning stage, if something is not right the chance of recovery is almost 0%. So, you must make a conscious effort resist our natural “recovery instinct”. Consciously kick away the unicycle. Then jump up or down into a strong stable squat position to land on our feet. Train your mind to quickly say quit and execute dismount. My worst injuries were not from falling “off” but falling “into” the unicycle when my body went into a failed feedback loop of recovery impulse. When I ride backwards I always keep count, and when I lose count I jump off. There were times when I did not know what I was doing, but I was going backwards “like magic” but that always ended in disaster.

4.) Pierrox: Save your 36" for the bike trails. Time to take out your 20" or 24". I plan to discuss some “specific techniques” that I have focused on when I learned to ride backwards. I just have not detailed them here yet. I just wanted to first see if anyone was interested at all, first. Then also gather some feedback on what anybody thought about backwards riding. I want to separate the advice from “natural experts” who can just “do it” from the “normal riders” who feel it is impossible(like I thought). I want to specifically detail my pedaling and riding action. What I was focusing on. What I was feeling when trying to learn and actually being able to ride backwards. So, stand by and I think you will be able to find something that may work for you.

1 Like

Dismounting, I forgot to mention:

Yes, what direction do I fall off/dismount.
I fall into the direction of “where I am going”. So, when I ride backwards and I “jump off/dismount” I am leading the fall and my unicycle is trailing behind me.
So, I will either land on my feet stationary, or i will land on my feet running backwards.
Does that make sense.

Okay, think of normal riding. When you fall? You fall forward(direction of lean) and the unicycle falls behind you.
You never let the unicycle “shoot out forward” and you “fall trip behind it”.
So same goes when riding backwards.
Hope that make sense.

Backwards Unicycling Tip No.1: Lengthen your pedal kick.

Concept:: When pedaling backwards apply pedal force stroke and duration from 12 to 5 o’clock, instead of the normal 12 to 6 o’clock pedal drive.(note: my pedal reference as you push down goes from 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, and 5 o’clock)

Lengthen your pedal kick.:
a.) Think of holding weight on the pedal a little longer on every kick
b.) Think of holding a longer kick, lengthening your kick a bit more. Feel the pedal push down and arc up a little.
c.) When done right you will get a momentary 2 point balance feeling of stability between the saddle and the down pedal.
d.) Next, get ready to pedal again on the other side.

This was my first “Ah-Ha” moment, when trying to go backwards. Hey!!! I got it!!!
More tips to follow. I will be presenting one step at a time.

My current skill level is:
a.) I can reliably do 4-5 backwards steps at any moment.
b.) I can maintain a slow, controlled streak of 25-30 steps.
c.) I am starting to be able to do a full turn

1 Like

Backwards Unicycling Tip No.2: Pinch your thighs/knees together.

Pinch your thighs/knees together:
a.) Just like riding forwards, doing this gives you saddle control and minimizes wobbling.
b.) As you are pedaling and extending your kick(tip #1), you should feel your knees “lightly dragging” against the seat or frame.

This was another “ah-ha” moment. After applying tip #1, it was still hit or miss. Then I thought, why don’t apply the thigh pinch technique from normal riding? Well, it worked. Give it a try, but make sure you already have implemented tip #1, and it’s fully “programmed” in your head.

1 Like

Backwards Unicycling Tip No.3: Pull back the other pedal.

Pull back the other pedal(resting/returning pedal), while you drive the other pedal(per tip #1):

a.) Point that toe downwards, so you can “hook” that pedal under your feet.
b.) Then pull back so it “starts’ pedaling motion with tension/weight
c.) Make sure you consciously synchronize the pulling(returning pedal) with the pushing(driving pedal).

You are merely “adding weight” or “preloading” that pedal so it’s not resting with zero force, while the other foot is doing all the work. Think of what you did when you were first learning how to unicycle forwards(keeping “back pressure” on the other pedal”¦never letting it relax).

The normal action of the driving foot pushing down/away will cause that side of your upper body on the saddle to fall down. However, the “pulling” action by your feet on the other side of the saddle creates counterbalance. So, when done simultaneously with precision, it will control lateral balance.

Do your tips also apply to riding backwards on a UW? Some of them prolly do.

Hello Setonix,
I think you will have to wait for me to “master” the UW, and then maybe “master” UW backwards. It will take a few years for me.
Actually, let’s just consider what is universally unique about backwards pedaling:
a.) As you pedal down, you can actually “push down & away from you”. Normal pedaling you cannot pedal “down & behind you”
b.) Maintaining weight on the pedal for the top pedal(returning pedal) is a little difficult. It requires some finesse, but you can also point your toes down and hook the pedal and pull it.

I’m not sure being aware of those things will help on the UW. Well, here is one thing for any newbie to understand.

What is common in both regular unicycle and UW for control is to “point your knee’s inwards”. This results in what I see most UW riders have to do to stay on. That is rubbing your calves against the UW wheel. On a regular unicycle you just pinch your thighs together for both saddle control and minimizing wobble.

Anyways, I think you will be able to accomplish backwards UW riding much more earlier than I will ever. Keep on.

Thanks Slamdance. Before being able to ride backwards from forwards riding, you have to stand still. Today I focused on doing that on the UW. Just like with a normal uni, standing still means dismounting backwards, as that is what I generally do it for, so I have to force myself to keep the weight in the center first. It is true that with riding UW, my calves touch the wheel while I ride, but I think a good UW rider should be able to keep the wheel exactly in the center between the legs while riding. This happens occasionally, but letting the wheel fall against my leg gives some “security”. On youtube there is the UW rider from Finland Yksi360 who is extremely good at the UW and does ride backwards and idles with it, but then he has been riding solely on the UW for the past 6 years. Im only at 3 months.

I don’t necessarily think you need to hook the pedal, because all of the weight is on the pedal. It is just a matter of applying the right pressure and very slightly hanging backwards, to get in that direction. With a unicycle you sit on the seat and have more freedom to move your feet.

Slow response but I’ll offer my perspective:

There is no “correct” or “graceful” way to dismount while riding backward. If you re displaying backward riding as a skill, you want to finish that skill by switching back to forward. Otherwise, how do we know you meant to do that? :slight_smile:

The purpose of the "graceful dismount in Skill Level 1 is to make it clear that you meant to stop at that moment. A normal dismount for most early riders is to step off to the front, and catch the seat. But it can be hard to tell if the rider intended this. So the rear dismount is required to show you can stop where you want. To translate that to backward riding, I think the best way to do it would be to ride to a complete stop, then step down, keeping your rearmost foot on the pedal like you would on a forward dismount.

But it looks much better to do a frontspin, or otherwise convert yourself to going forward again, jump up a curb and ride off into the sunset. :slight_smile:

(Frontspin: A named figure found in the IUF Standard Skills List. Essentially, it’s the act of flicking the wheel from backward to forward riding using a smooth motion. The actual motion is the tire making a quick 90-degree turn, followed by another 90-degree turn continuing the rotation already present, and riding away forward. Done correctly, it looks like the rider has continued in a more or less straight line, while switching the direction he or she is facing)

1 Like

Backwards Unicycling Tip No.4: Twist your upper body.

You may already be doing this, but there is precise exact timing/rhythm with the backwards pedaling motion. I don’t quite have this timing down, but if I try to “deliberately” control this I go out of synch. Also, if I forget to loosen my upper body motion/or I am too stiff I will fall out. So, I know it absolutely must be there. It is something my body must do in order to stay on.

Why do we need to twist the upper body? I am not exactly sure, but it seems to accomplish two things:
a.) It allows synchronization with our pedaling motion. Just like “I find” in forward motion. In forward motion, my arm/shoulder/hip twist does the same thing when you walk or run. It counters the motion of the lower body. So when you drive your foot down to 6 o’clock your upper body counters and you are momentarily at stall or perfectly balanced. I get that same kind of feeling when I am riding backwards(one pedal at a time).
b.) When you twist. Half your body is actually “leaning back”. Thus, you don’t need to “consciously lean back” as you consciously lean forward when riding forwards. This answers the question, why I don’t “need” to lean back when I ride backwards. In fact, I sit and keep my back straight up. The twisting takes care of it.

So, if any of you are learning and getting frustrated? Check your technique and add this “twist motion” if you are not doing it. Especially, if you are finding yourself “falling forward”. Also, never just “fall backwards” and start pedaling fast.

1 Like

Backwards Unicycling: Progress Report

1. How far can I go?
    Currently, I can reliably ride backwards 100 yards, but it is exhausting because I have to “maintain some weight” on my pedals. I am not quite at skill level, where I can “fully seat” and just lightly pedal, as I can in forward riding.

2. What do I focus on when riding backwards?
    a.) Driving my “down foot” into the ground(as if my pedal was made of rubber and I stretch it down to touch the ground). That goes through my head, but in actuality I am just “holding” pedaling tension through 6 o’clock and slowly releasing at 7 o’clock. In mechanical speak, it would be called “power dwell”. The analogy to forward unicycle riding would be just “keeping weight” as you pedal through.

b.) Keeping my knee’s pointed inwards almost rubbing the saddle. This causes my lateral balance to be compact, so when I need to steer, which is accomplished by “exaggerating” my rhythmic twisting motion, I don’t need to do it so aggressively.

c.) I also look “down”. I definitely do that. The “look at a stationary object behind you” does not work for me. I suspect that works only for a “pure balancer” who can virtually do a standstill and then just slowly incorporates “nice steady pedaling in backwards” like a tightrope walker. I don’t do that. Somehow, I harness the rhythmic turbulence of the backwards pedaling, the straight back, and the upper body twisting to be able to do a smooth pedal by pedal controlled motion. I never just lean back and “go”, and rely on acceleration for stability.

d.) I always count my pedaling in my head 1-2, 1-2 or 1-2-3-4. This is to control acceleration. As soon as you just “let it go” you are will be in trouble. I should not brag about this, but I wear no head protection and I have never fallen down backwards. I always land on my feet walking backwards. I always feel in control, because I never allow myself to “speed up”. I am always just going 1-2 pedals at a time. At a split second, I can stop and rock into an idle to stop my motion.

e.) Finally, I should mention that I do not use any rails or walls. I did this learning forwards, but I always start my backwards riding from an idle. In fact, my standard free mounting is a rockback Idle. I believe that got me 50% on my way to learning to ride backwards. So, I highly recommend anyone trying to ride backwards or even just learning to idle. To “terminate” your reliance on the 3/9 o’clock free mount. Start with down foot near 6 o’clock or 7 or 8 o’clock, rock back and free mount. At the very least, being able to free mount rock back idle will make you “dead zone” proof(because your top foot learns to become active).

3.) How about turning?
I am not perfect in this area. I can turn in a wide area like in a 20 ft “square”. In forward riding, I can turn well by just “varying” pedal force, but prior to that I was “twisting” the unicycle to turn. So, turning in backwards motion I am currently only able to “twist”. Not 100% at twisting, either. It seems to work best when I twist when the “inside” pedal is going down stroke. That is if I an turning right, then I wait for the right pedal to go down then I twist. On the other pedal, I keep straight.

3 Likes

Howdy. I just wanted to report my current progress/skill level with backwards riding. Also, see if this website hasn’t killed this topic due to lack of response:

Backwards riding distance before falling from exhaustion: Max distance bout 150 yds. Requires conscious weighting on both the “pushing away” pedal and “pull back pedal”. Both push/pull pedal action feels simultaneous and feels like a single linked motion. However, the adding weight no matter how subtle does add up to exhaustion.

Turning ability: Can turn 180 and 270 degrees in a 20 ft radius. Requires high concentration turning with “inside turning circle side pedal” only. Don’t feel comfortable turning with both pedals, yet.

No progress. Although I try to ride backwards at least once or twice a week, I haven’t reach what I consider next level = being able to turn easily and comfortably. Riding beyond 200 meters.

So far, I have been able to ride backwards for almost a full year. I view my progress in 3 steps:
a.) “got it”
b.) Ride backwards reliably for over 100 yds and execute 90 degree turns.
c.) Go beyond 1/4 mile. Turn reliably or even do consistent circles.

Currently, I’m still “stuck at” level b.)
Also, when riding backwards I have yet to “find” the upper body twist motion to synchronize with the backwards pedaling motion. Similar to what’s possible in normal forward riding, when you ride super slow but still maintain solid balance one pedal step at a time. I know such a feeling/technique is possible in backwards riding, but I feel I am close.

BTW, anyone interested in trying to learn how to ride backwards…check my earlier posting. However, here’s some quick tips:
1.) Always count in your head as your ride backwards. To prevent over-speeding. Never accelerate.
2.) If you can already “idle”? You are 50% there. Best way to initiate the backwards riding, and also allows you to rest during backwards riding.

I haven’t ridden bw more than 100 yards at a time. And those 100 yards seemed to take a very long time. Partly because I was riding slowly, partly because my level of concentration and effort made it seem that way. Also, I haven’t learned how to reliably turn my head to see behind me. To ride 1/4 mile, I’d have to learn that skill, or I’d have to find a safe riding location, such as a 1/4 mile running track. But even then, 1/4 mile seems like a tough goal. If you can do it, @slamdance , I will be impressed!

Intermediate Backwards Riding "minor breakthrough"

I guess I can consider myself “intermediate level” since I’ve mastered the ability to reliably stay on for a bit of distance and include steering. However, I am still working on trying to steer competently like a tight circle within 10-20 feet.

Well, I did it today. I was able go backwards in a nice tight circle.
What was the key? Well, I just “leaned backwards” more.
Sounds obvious, right?

Not really, when I ride backwards i sit straight up. During each pedaling step I just create a very small “leaning back momentum” with one side of my shoulders back. Kinda like I am “elbowing” somebody behind me. Also, I go slow and do a discrete step by step pedaling motion. It feels like I am taking a very quick pause between each pedal push. This technique is exhausting but the advantage is that I rarely fall “going backwards” since I am so vertical. I don’t like the idea/feeling of “holding” a constant backwards lean. Hello head injury!!!

I will keep working on this, and hopefully I can figure a way to pulse/oscillate a back lean to my pedaling, so it’s not constant. My goal is not to be fast/smooth. My goal is to be slow/incremental/full control. Just like my stop/go grass riding or extreme uphill technique.

1 Like

Some of the struggles with backward riding are shared with forward riding. While doing a backward figure-eight, the most difficult part is the moment when I change direction. This is still a minor issue for me while riding forward, and it frequently causes a UPD while riding backward. I should spend more time practicing slalom-like maneuvers. Then there is the idea of riding faster when doing tighter figure-eights, leaning into the turn. I am not comfortable spinning fast circles while riding backwards. It probably doesn’t help that I’m using 140mm cranks. I tend to pull my feet off the pedals when pedaling backward quickly. I can perform a single, discrete 90 degree turn riding backward. This is a jerky technique that frequently causes me to lose control.

I tried dismounting gracefully at the end of bw rides, yesterday, and found I couldn’t do it. I realized that, during a normal, graceful dismount off the back, at the end of a forward ride, there can be balance between the last remaining foot on the pedal and the forward momentum of the rider. For some reason, it took me until yesterday to realize it couldn’t be done. I had never actually attempted a graceful dismount off the back while riding backwards. Normally, I either reverse direction, then dismount, or I do a quick emergency dismount off the back.

Now that you mention it, dismounting or transitioning back to frwd unicycle riding is something I’d like to improve upon.

Typically, since I always start from an idle, then I will finish backwards riding using an idle maneuver then dismount or continue going forwards. However, it feels like work. I’d like something more instant something that will go into a quick “flying 180 degree turn”

I think this type of maneuver was covered by Aussie/Newzie unicycle pro Chris Huriwai. You know his youtube video where he covers 10 things in one video, and the video is “titled” with a low level beginner skill. When I watch them. I always feel like a total beginner. Those guys are so so advanced.

Anyways, if anybody has any tips for a quick transition from backwards to forward riding I’d like to hear it. Especially, something that can “bypass” the necessity to do a 3/9 o’clock still stand or bunny hop.