backwards riding

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting started backwards riding. Is it better to start off holding onto something, or to just go into it from riding forward? Also is it better to learn that before or after learning to idle, if anyone has any tips on idling that’d be cool to, thank you.

Andrew

I spent a lot of time getting my idling really neat before I learnt to go backwards - I found the best way into backwards riding was to simply idle and then take half a turn backwards, and start idling on the other foot… Then take a full turn backwards etc… This improved my right footed idling no end and also got me going backwards very fast. Now if only I could apply that theory to seat out!

Bob

cool, thank you.

cool, thank you : )

I’ve been practicing backwards riding, just by coming to a halt, and then continuing backwards. At start it wasn’t quite effective but now I can ride fir little distance. I’ve never felt comfortable practicing with a wall. Not even when I was learning to ride.

I just did a combination of idling and also riding forwards then stopping and trying a half-revoltion backwards and continuing forwards and I just kept doing that till I could do several revs and so on and so forth!

ok…

So it seems the consensus ( or however thats spelled ) is that praciticing with supports not recomended. I tried that a little and a couple times I fell back, I could of just been leaning too much though.

I think I tried it from riding forward too, but then I bail, which is my fault. Maybe next time i’ll try riding forward, idling, and going backwards all together, thanks peoples.

Hey I have good news and bad news. The good news is I dropped in on a quarter pipe! the bad news is that it wasn’t on a unicycle, sorry, it was a skateboard. But i’m still happy cause last time I was at the skatepark i’m not sure if I did it, if I did it wasn’t as easy as it was this time. I fell the first few attempts, but then that got me over my fear of doing it, and then I did it, my friend devin told me I had to. But I like upding off a uni better than falling off a skateboard, it hurts less. I wonder if I couls skate better cause of unicycling… I dunno

Re: backwards riding

I have just learned to ride backwards, and it’s great fun. It took me
about as long to learn as riding forwards, and was just as frustrating,
but it’s worth it.

• Sit on the unicycle holding yourself up (I held onto a pole)
  • Try to ride off backwards (don’t use anything for support)
  • It can help to wave your arms around
  • Stop pedalling and start again if it feels right
  • Repeat a million times!

I kept going back to the pole, again and again, and falling straight
off, again and again, day after day. Eventually, something sticks. You
can do 5 metres. Then 10 metres. Then more. The sense of satisfaction
is fantastic!

supertones wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting started backwards
> riding. Is it better to start off holding onto something, or to just go
> into it from riding forward? Also is it better to learn that before or
> after learning to idle, if anyone has any tips on idling that’d be cool
> to, thank you.
>
> Andrew
>
>
> –
> supertones
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> supertones’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4499
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29147
>

Re: backwards riding

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:13:31 -0600, supertones
<supertones@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>So it seems the consensus ( or however thats spelled ) is that
>praciticing with supports not recomended.

I initially learned backwards riding holding lightly to a rail. This
is not specifically a recommendation, but I am the kind of person who
likes learning new things in small steps.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I like things that are either curved or tapered. - Steve Howard

another question

Ok, I ran into another question, is it better to have the seat too high, or too low? The seat post i’ve had is for riders 6 ft and over, i’ve been riding with it all the way down, which has my knees slightly bent. I just got another post thats shorter so other people could ride my uni, and I was wondering about what slightly bent at the knees is, like if I put my seat down so my knees bent more would it make it easier to ride? just a thought. Thanks for any imput.

Andrew

hey andrew.

im all about riding with my seat really low. im 6 feet tall, but i ride with my seat lower than a lot of the people here. http:// thats my video. if you download it (18 mb) you can see how low mine is. i prefer it like that because it minimizes the chance of nutting yourself plus it helps me to get more height in my hops. its a personal preference however and a low seat probably isnt best for everyone.

Kevin

Re: another question

No. It’s better to have the seat just right.

Adjust it like you would for a bicycle. With the HEEL of your foot on the LOWER most pedal, all the way in the DOWN position, your leg should be straight. Then, with the BALL of your foot on the same pedal in the same position, your knee will be slightly bent.

The same way you learned to ride forward, use the same techniques to ride backwards.

use a wall at first, so your legs get used to the backwards rotation, and then push off…