Back to the Uni after 20 years need advice

I’m 44 and have decided to try unicycling again after 20 years. I used
to ride my 6’ schwinn giraffe pretty well back in the day. I live
adjacent to the national forest and thought MUni would be a lot of fun.
So I need to know what would be a good starter uni for me. I’ll mostly
be riding an old logging road nothing extreme (at first anyway, who
knows). I’m 6’ 3" 200 lbs. Any suggestions on wheel size crank length
etc. would be appreciated.

pknchap

I’m short of time so sorry to be brief, but: -

you’ll not go far wrong with a 24 x 3 Nimbus muni, low price but very good.

If you can still mount and ride, then you can’t go wrong with a 24 with a decent tyre. My first “proper” uni was a 26 with a 1.75 section tyre; a couple of years later, I have several unis, but wish I had a 24 x 3 instead of my 26 (which now has a 2.3 inch tyre on it).

Nimbus unis (called Yunis in the U$A) are simple, reliable and smart. I have Nimbus 20 and 28 and used to have a 24.

As for cranks, start with 150s and see what happens.

And just to add to Mike’s comments:

Get a slicker tire for fire roads, light to medium cross country trails and smoother surfaces.such as a 2.5 Hookworm or 3" Fireball!

I’m also 44 and I got back into it after a 30(!) year hiatis. One of the best things I’ve ever done, getting back onto the unicycle…
I purchased the Nimbus Muni also–I totally love it! But, I did get the 26 inch instead of the 24 inch (I’m 6’3"–I thought taller people would need a bigger wheel–wrong!) Before I got the 26er, everyone I knew who rode told me that it would be harder to re-learn on a bigger wheel, and that a 24 inch would be better. Well, I didn’t listen, and here I am months later, riding as well as I want, but still trying to get freemounting down. I often think that if I got the 24 inch, my freemounting would not be an issue. Still, the 26 is a nice smooth cruising ride…

I too would suggest the 24 inch Nimbus Muni. Also, you might consider getting a Hookworm tire to have in addition to the Duro Leopard that comes with the Nimbus–I switch them back and fourth sometimes because one can accomplish something on one tire, then switch, and the change of perspective helps to progress in another way–I’m always switching them back and forth, and it has helped my riding a lot.
Cheers, have fun!
Steve