Back in business... I hope

Well, cool! I’m glad to hear that you’re making progress. Like LargeEddie mentioned, hopefully things will cool off soon and be better for riding. This summer was a real killer for me too, and the stupid-crazy heat came right when I was in a really great learning and riding routine, and it stopped me in my tracks for a while. Hopefully, all of us that have been stifled by the heat will get some relief before too long. Hope things continue to go well for you, and good luck with it!

Good to read. Keep us updated! :smiley:

elpuebloUNIdo, how do you get your seat in front, when you ride with the seat very high? Isn’t it stuck between your legs? I thought with SIF the saddle had to be a bit lower. Also do you put the seat to the front after you’ve mounted or do you mount in a kind of hopping state where the seat already is in front? I tried riding SIF once in the unicycle club, but it messes a bit with keeping balance.

The seat is not too high to pull out; it’s just almost too high. I think it’s the SI (seat-in) crowd who likes having a lower seat. They’re the ones trying to jump with the uni under them. It was never my intention to ride with so high a seat. But, whenever I raised the seat a tiny bit, then tried to go back to the old seat-height, I wasn’t satisfied. Also, performing SIF with a high seat allows the hands to provide greater leverage on the seat, and my hands are positioned closer to my “core”, during SIF, with the seat at this height. When I experimented riding SIF with the seat lower, I felt weaker in my upper body, and I was unable to stand up straight while riding. In regard to your question, I just looked at an old “seat height” thread, and some riders suggested that a high seat was good for SIF trials.

I mostly mount SIF, then depending on what’s next, stay SIF or go immediately seat-in. I have both hands on the seat during mounting, and this makes any subsequent adjustment really easy. I still do a lot of Seat-in mounting. SIF riding takes more energy, but the more I do it, the longer I can do it sustained. My efficiency is improving. If you want to feel like you’re using your entire body, start practicing SIF. Good luck!

This is all interesting. Three weeks ago snapped the end off my tibia and have a spiral fracture in the fibula near the ankle. I have had it put back together with plates, pins and over a dozen screws. They are talking about my leg not being weight bearing for 3 months. :frowning:

How long after you started walking again did you start unicycling again? Was it with in days or weeks of getting back on to your feet?

Roger

Damn Roger, sorry to hear… Is this a uni related injury?

No, I fell off the Monkey bars during the Stockton River Rat Race. :slight_smile:

Roger

Ouch, sorry to hear that - but welcome in the plate-and-screws club! :wink: Fractured calcaneus

I don’t want to discourage you, but it might take a bit longer than you would expect… I was cleared for weight bearing again after 8 weeks but I still wouldn’t attempt to start unicycling at the moment.

I didn’t have to wear a boot or anything while I was not weight bearing, so I maintained good ankle movement and could exercise the affected leg to a reasonable extent. Still, the forefoot had become rather stiff after the 8 weeks and it was very painful to put any weight on the foot in the beginning - but I could ride on an exercise bike.

After about 2 weeks I could walk without crutches and started riding my bike again. I have been going to physical therapy once a week for 5 weeks, doing about half an hour exercises every day and rides on bike to and from the train. Compared with the other participants in the physical therapy, I feel that my progress is very good - but still slower than I would prefer.

I wish you the best and hope that you will be back on your unicycle soon. :slight_smile:

I’m really sorry to hear about this injury. My broken foot doesn’t compare to that if you ask me. I was non-surgical. I was in a boot from the beginning. My injury allowed me to be weight bearing for a couple of hours a day, though due to my work, and inability to take adequate amounts of time off to really heal, I pushed the limits of my medical recommendations. I really underestimated the amount of time it would take to fully recover. My injury was May 21 and I fully anticipated to be riding no later than August 1. That was a joke. I did get back on my 20" about 3 weeks ago in a very limited fashion. I’m still riding the 20, and maybe in the next couple of weeks will get back to the 26. My foot is still tender, but today is the first non-limping day I have had since walking. That is a very good feeling.

So, good luck in your recovery. Give yourself more time than you think you will need. I hate to say that, but it is true.

Thanks for that advice/information. It does not look great does it… oh well.

I had 5 casts in less than 2 weeks! but I am now in a boot. My foot swelled so much I had 2 pressure sores on my foot so they decided to take the cast off as the bones looked good. Having a boot on is fantastic! I am even allowed/recommended to move my ankle (not lateral though). So I have 80% movement back already.

Roger

That’s good news. I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. You’ll be back on it eventually. Patience is my biggest lesson to take from this.

Recovery is going well. As of last Saturday, I can walk without crutches or a boot on. My ankle is still quite swollen and massive! It is also very painful…

So the best way to get to the toilet at work (100m away) is to ride a unicycle. :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Glad to hear you are recovering !

Swipe me, I have just read this thread and am saddened at your injury. I do hope it fixes soon so you can enjoy life again, especially in the manner you like. I feel for any youngster hurting, and it tends to worry myself a bit, due to my age. I am getting quite old now, and smell of pee and biscuits apparently, and the fear of hurt is manifest… nice to know you are on the mend…!! :wink:

I followed Sukie47’s news closely, and I am heartened by her progress so far, now yours, streuth, what a hassle for you both.
Please be safe for your own sake…

Regina, you are only 3 years older than me and if you keep on playing the age card, I shall have to come up to Norfolk and forcibly rejuvenate you. Also, it sounds like you are doing the biscuit thing wrong. It is tea you dunk them in - that’s why we put milk in it, so you can tell the difference between tea and other fluids. And if you are dunking biscuits in the latter, bear in mind that might explain it if you get diagnosed with diabetes.

Currently, I am in a bit of pain and feel somewhat jaded, hence the reason I keep banging on about care :o.
Sorry, but I am allergic to dairy, always have been, conventional tea is a grim, bitter brew to me, espresso is the ultimate stimulant for myself, in fact I sit here tapping away at the keyboard with a freshly brewed, large mugful beside me. It probably has about three average measures in it. Weirdly, after this, I will go off on the unicycle, quite nicely usually, to be honest, or, at least I have been recently, when the rain passes. :roll_eyes:

I promise to never mention my age again, but Methuselah keeps going through my brain for some reason or other. Oh, and Norfolk is about twenty miles further North than here. I am Suffolk born and bred :wink:

I tend to keep my own counsel, but it is others that often reference my age when confronted with the unicycle. I may well be the only one riding one in these close regions, and I tend to be ridiculed when spotted. The comments are normally inane to be fair, but ageism remarks are often the subject.
I may have a face lift so I too can look like Liberace, like all those others. Maybe a vanity hair dye process, so I can resemble a Chestnut conker like Paul McCartney :smiley:

Congrats on the recovery! Sadly I am quite “experienced” with sports injuries. I have had both ACL reconstruction and a shoulder reconstructive surgeries. For the sore knee I highly recommend a zero Q-factor crank, it helps keep your knees in line with your hip to reduce some of the lateral force applied on the knee. You can also look into shorter spindle pedals that bring the pedal body closer to the crank arm.

Good info regarding the cranks. I’m back on the Oracle and have worked up to 6 miles/ride. Finally feeling good. Foot still sore when walking, but I can ride. Staying off the hills for now, since I broke my foot on an incline.

Damaged I did not do this on a unicycle

Since I am now at least looking normal (well as much as I ever do!) wearing my special T-shirt is now inappropriate. It says “Damaged I did not do this on a unicycle”

So I will give it to anyone who has a need for it. :slight_smile:

IMG_4588.JPG

Good to see that you are at least getting around. I hope I am never in need of any of the accessories you are sporting…bot, crutches or the T-Shirt.

I just saw your post from a couple weeks ago… I love that the comment about getting to the bathroom on your unicycle being easier than walking! I am now about 95%, but have been unicycling for the last 2 months. It was initially easier for me to unicycle in order to exercise my dog than walk him. At least, that was how I justified it :slight_smile:

Now I’m back on the logging roads and riding as much as I can (within reason). And, I have finally found a unicyclist who I can ride with. Keep healing!