Back at it after 40+years

• This is my first post, I’ve been coming in and lurking for about 5 or 6 weeks now. So I thought it was time for me to introduce myself. I’ll be 60 this October. The last time I rode a unicycle was over 40 years ago. Man did we have some old timer looking unicycles back then. They were so bad the wheels weren’t even round.On top of that, they weighed about 50 pounds. No, I’m just joking. Reminds me of when my dad told me how bad he had it as a kid. He’d say he had to walk 5-miles to school in the snow and it was up hill both ways. So about 3-months ago I started searching unicycles, For the life of me, I’d never thought they would have come as far as they have. When I rode them as a kid it was just a way for me to get around.

I ended up buying a cheap unicycle from eBay because I just wanted to see if it was possible for me to still ride one. Course I had to do a curb mount.But With in 10 minutes, I was riding it down the drive way. Then I got a little too cocky and thought I could free mount it like I did way back when. Ha! Can you say Bust your Ass? Well, I sure did that real quick landed right on my shoulder. For a living, I’m a block Mason been doing that for over 30-years, I had to work so I’ve been biting the bullet so to speak, working through the pain and it’s just now starting to get back to normal. The last few weeks I’ve picked me up a K/H 20" trials, And a K/H 29" Mountian unicycle. I’ve been riding them as much as possible trying to build up my strength. And all I can take is about 20 minutes and my legs are jello. But I’m working on it.

IMGP0014 (800x600) (640x480).jpg

Hi mate, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

For some reason your thread was moderated…I’ve approved it now, so you should get a few more responses.

Congrats 1wheelonthefly. I rode some about 10 - 12 yrs ago, then had to quit for various reasons. Just assembled my Torker 20" and 24" this week and learning to sit on them. Would love to be able to curb mount as quick as you. I’ll find out sometime after next week when I have all my safety gear.

Keep cranking :slight_smile:

Welcome to the Sexagenarians On One Wheel! :slight_smile:

Where are you from in Utah? I am fond of southern Utah: rocks are tremendous there and I go visit as often as possible! (Though this year it’s Yellowstone WY and New-york NY in september … and no Muni :o !)

Oct birthday

I’ll be 53 this October. I have had my original uni for 40 years. Yes, it’s amazing how the technology has touched everything. Including unicycles. I bought the same two new models as well. 20 and 29 KH. It has been a blast getting back in the game. I’m using an ice pack as I type. Even with the occasional crash. I love my unicycle hobby. Good times. Jeff c

Welcome back! I have been back on one wheel for a little over 3 years after a 30 year break. It will come back to you pretty quickly.

Wobbling Bear I’m from Provo. I’d sure like to see Yellowstone myself.
I’m into Flyfishing also, that place would be a dream for me.
Kwikkash- I just got lucky and found the 29 on eBay and picked the 20" up from craigslist for cheap. I’ll tell you what I bail real quick now.
Dauniguy I’m really surprised at how quick it’s coming back to me.
But my problem is the strength in my legs. They give out only after 20 to 30
minutes, But I’m trying to get on it as much as possible.
Thanks for the welcome Guys. We’re going camping this weekend so I’m going to take that 20" to ride around the camp ground.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.