Back and forth

I’ve been riding my new Diet Coker recently, then Monday night pulled out the 24", hopped on and fell on my face. I thought I had simply missed the pedal and tried again. After analyzing, the Diet Coker demands so much of a forward leap that I was shooting over the top of the 24". Then once I learned to land the 24" again, I was extremely shakey and it took a good while before I was used to it. It was almost as if I had to learn to ride all over again. Going from the 24" to the Coker doesn’t seem to pose a problem. Anyone else experiencing this phenomonen? Of course, the boys don’t seem to have a problem going back and forth so it must not genetic. Let’s see, what other differences are there between the boys and me?

Bruce

Re: Back and forth

I had this problem with my 24" and 20", let alone a coker. Going back to the smaller wheel was really difficult, it’s so fast! The kickback for a rollback mount has the thing flying off into the distance; I’d jump straight over it when getting on and then wobble around manically for a while before getting used to it again.

Phil, just me

Re: Re: Back and forth

MY SON! YOU’VE COME HOME! No wait, it wasn’t genetic was it. Never mind.

Bruce

Now that’s what I call an extended family, being the father of everyone who’s ever overshot their uni…

:slight_smile:

Phil, just me

Ask Lewis: when I first got the Coker, when switching back to the 24, I would giggle manicly while pedaling around in a jerky, Franken-stein like manor. 'Tis not so bad now; still, I feel the same way whenever I get on a 20. Popped on Greg’s for a bit in NO, and felt the fool -even more so after the H-Man’s Mad Kossack skills and speedy Begger’s Hobble…

-Christopher

i recently had a go on a 16"
it was fine, i had my knees for lunch, real quickly

>Let’s see, what other differences are there between the boys and me?

the traditional answer would be the price of your toys
i’m not sure if it applies in your case

The gap is quickly closing. I just brought home a brand new long gun for Ben. He’s heading to the woods for the first time with me this fall.

Bruce

ooops
tmi

…and I held back “mi” at that.

to each his own

:frowning:

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

If this thread doesn’t head directly back on to the convaluted path of unicycling, I will re-release the tastelessness at unicon thread from it’s cage (some how I managed to refrain from posting in it)… :wink:

…speaking of strange effects from switching cycles, it can be a real confidence booster to try skills on larger/smaller cycle then switch back to the favorite.

-Christopher

Absolutely true. I’ve been working on riding backwards on my 24". This has definitely improved this skill on my 20".

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: Back and forth

Speaking of the original topic of this thread, I find that going from a Coker to a standard 20" Schwinn difficult; the 20" seems very choppy. But going from the Coker to a 20" Savage 5’ Giraffe presents no problem. I’m presuming that this has something to do with the fact that the gear ratio (or whatever) makes the transistion qualitatively different.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I would not normally be so rude as to pint out a spelling mistake, but this one conjures up such a picture. Someone on this thread wrote:

I would giggle manically while pedaling around in a jerky, Franken-stein like manor.

But returning to the original point of the thread, changing wheel size or crank size is always an amusing time. For some reason, I find it harder to move from the Coker to the smaller uni than the other way round. After five minutes, the problem’s gone, but at first, it can be ludicrous.

(For those who don’t know: manor is a huge old building.)

Nor me :smiley:

Akchewally it shud bee, “Nor I”.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

To reiterate the words of a great American…“If this thread doesn’t head directly back on to the convaluted path of unicycling, I will re-release the tastelessness at unicon thread from it’s cage.” :smiley:

Bruce

Bring it on, baby!

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

You noticed, oh I do enjoy frequenting this here forum and…

The first time I went from a 24” uni to a 20” uni I was so disappointed when the silly feeling went away I got back on the 24” just to repeat it. Unfortunately the silly feeling is no longer as prominent as it once was and I get used to the different size more quickly.

Let it be known I can get back on topic :slight_smile:

Gary