Axo Dually shoe

I had a chance to try this shoe on recently. Kris and others have recommended it. Anne (in our club, and in this newsgroup) found a pair for $40 on Overstock.com, if I remember correctly. Well, it does look like a great unicycle shoe - has a good tread pattern, good support, offers side ankle protection while still allowing your foot some flexibility. The Dually seems to be available for about $80 on shoebuy.com.

So I will most likely buy this, but before I do, am wondering if

1. there is anything else comparable to the Dually out there?
  2. Has anyone seen the Dually for less than $80?

The only other shoe I can think of that might be good might be a Vans. John Childs had recommended a Vans shoe a while back, I think.

In any case, I have not managed to find a shoe store in Manhattan that sells MTB or even one that has a decent selection of Vans. There are lots of skateboard shops, but the skateboard shoe tread tends to be too hard and slick. So unbelievably, it looks like I will be buying shoes online. I’m reluctant to to this since it’s better to try a shoe on before buying, but seems there’s little choice here.

Joe

Joe,
recently, Roger Davies had a bunch of the old style Axo Dually boots. He was asking 45.00 pounds plus s&h. I was also apprehensive about buying shoes online, but I am glad I did this time. After I read that Dually boots run kind of small I ordered the next size up (European size 42 instead of 41), and this paid off. I have no idea if the same would also apply to non-European sizes.
Sorry, I am not aware of any alternatives.
Have fun,
Fred

I don’t think you are going to find the AXO Dually for $40 any longer. It looks like they have sold out or are down to just the oddball sizes. You’ll likely have to get the 661 Dually at full price (about $80 US). I haven’t found anyplace that sells them for much less than that, but I haven’t looked all that hard.

The Dually is a good shoe when paired with a good pedal. They grip very well when used with pedals that have traction pins in the center area of the pedal (pedals like the Atomic Aircorp <http://www.atomlab.com/>). They don’t grip so well when using pedals that don’t have traction pins in the center of the pedal (pedals like the Easton Flatboy <http://www.eastonbike.com/COMPONENTS/comp_pedals.html>).

I do a lot of riding on wet trails and that is when I really notice the difference in traction between Vans and the Dually. But with the right style pedal the Dually is plenty grippy even in the mud. I have been using the Aircorp pedals with the Dually shoes in the mud and the shoes stay put on the pedals even when the shoe sole is full of mud.

I also find the sole of the Dually to be a tad soft so I add a Dr. Scholls sports insole with a plastic arch support to stiffen them up.

The Dually has a better, more durable upper than any of the current Vans shoes. Not a real big deal because usually the sole wears out before the upper.

I usually get Vans from Dans Competition <http://www.danscomp.com/>. I have not found a local shoe store that carries the styles of Vans that I like for muni so I have to get what I want online. I already know what size Vans I wear so getting them online isn’t too much of a problem for sizing. Try on a pair of Vans at a local shoe store to find your size and then order style that you want online. For the current styles of Vans it looks like the Vans Flat Top and Vans Jarama shoes will be good for muni. Those two have the sole that is stiff enough for muni but not too stiff.

Stay away from the Vans Weld shoe. At first glance they look like an ideal shoe, but the upper is badly designed and the tongue and the lacing are very uncomfortable.

Re: Axo Dually shoe

I went to this site, checked specials. Axo Dually 29.95. I’m psyched!

Dang. They only have size4, 4.5, 5.5 and 6.5, 12.5 and 13!
----- Original Message -----
To: Joe Merrill
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: Axo Dually shoe

You might want to try the dealer locater at www.sixsixone.com. 661 is kinda in with axo it seems, anyway you might want to try.
Joe Merrill wrote:

I had a chance to try this shoe on recently. Kris and others have recommended it. Anne (in our club, and in this newsgroup) found a pair for $40 on Overstock.com, if I remember correctly. Well, it does look like a great unicycle shoe - has a good tread pattern, good support, offers side ankle protection while still allowing your foot some flexibility. The Dually seems to be available for about $80 on shoebuy.com. So I will most likely buy this, but before I do, am wondering if 1. there is anything else comparable to the Dually out there?2. Has anyone seen the Dually for less than $80? The only other shoe I can think of that might be good might be a Vans. John Childs had recommended a Vans shoe a while back, I think. In any case, I have not managed to find a shoe store in Manhattan that sells MTB or even one that has a decent selection of Vans. There are lots of skateboard shops, but the skateboard shoe tread tends to be too hard and slick. So unbelievably, it looks like I will be buying shoes online. I’m reluctant to to this since it’s better to try a shoe on before buying, but seems there’s little choice here. Joe