Average cruising speed

I’d say on my new 29er my avg speed is between 7 and 9 MPH(depending on the strength of the coffee I drank that morning.:smiley:
Max speed I got 14(I think).
only did a few rides on the computer so far… I hope I set it up right.

For the big apple tire, what are you suppose to enter as the size in the computer? 234?

Ive hit over 50 mph on my 2 1/2 inch unicycle, its soooooo fast :roll_eyes:
but on my 67 inch unicycle i average prolly 1.2 mph lol jk

Prolly round 9 mph on my 24 inch.

Whoa that’s pretty cool, i did 35km/h on my coker on saturday. :smiley: :smiley: This saturday, i am determined to break it though. :smiley:

I am comfortable at 14/15mph on my 36". It is not a tiring speed on a windless flat day. After I have warmed up I can take the speed up to 18mph for about 10 miles then my legs start to get heavy, I guess this is just my unfitness. What I think this shows I think is that 18mph is possible to cruise at should you have the fitness. Top speeds… I am whimp and try and keep things below 20mph but have noticed recently that my sprint speed across the roundabout over the A19 is normally about 23/24 mph just so I can keep out of cars way.

Roger

Wow…just goes to show it’s all relative. With a lifetime top speed of 16.5, I’m having trouble grasping that anyone could sustain 18 mph for 10 miles…much less that they’d then blame their failure to do more than 10 miles on their unfitness.

Me 'ats off…

I took my gps on my ride to school and it was 5.9 miles and I averaged 5.9 mph so as u could guess it took an hour but that was taking it quite easy I was on my 20" trial uni and was reading a magazine most of the way

I was just thinking the same… I read Roger’s first sentence (comfortable at 14/15mph) and thought “I’m not as bad as I thought then - my top speed on a coker ride is usually 15mph”… the I read the rest of the post :o

My top speed is definitely limited by technique and guts - I’m not confident enough of my technique to ride faster than that. I’ll sprint my muni up to absolute maximum spin (which is about 14mph), so I ought to be able to do 18mph or so flat out on the coker - but I occasionally fall off the muni at that speed, and I really don’t want to crash at 18mph (it hurts at 14 on gravel!).
I think I need a lot more practice on the coker before I’ll be going any faster.

Rob

Roger has been clocked riding at that speed whilst reading a book.

Yesterday I went for a muni ride, but I had to do it on my trials. (Not tooo bad though, cause a lot of the riding was extremely technical. On some of the downhills I could have easily been doing 10mph. I was really flying. It was fun:) BTW, O have fairly short cranks on there so that helps.

I never even said the word “comfortably” so I don’t know why you used that word in quotes. And I surly didn’t say anything that would equate to “comfortably” run at 15 mph.

I said that msot people can easily run (for a very short distance) 11 mph, and that the threshold (that somone can maintain for long enough to slow down and stop) is at least 15 mph.

Tread mills may be SLIGHTLY easier to run, as you don’t actually have to greatly propel yourself forward and only have to “bounce” yourself to the same place. But you still have to move your legs that fast, and the added weight isn’t that much of a change. Again, I’ve never used a gps speedo on a run, but I’ve clocked in close to 20 mph with a car speedo beside me. Again, I know that at that low speed, a car’s speedo is quite errorific. But, just pointing out, AGAIN, that I’m not talking out of my ass. I don’t know why all of you people have such a hard time accepting things that are in now way feats of strength, but everyday common occurances.

And NO, I couldn’t do well in a race. I never said I could run fast for any length of time. A few hundred feet probably and I’d be out of steam. But again, LOTSO people can run a 4 min mile, that’s 15 mph sustained for a mile. So, you peeps thinking that running that fast in a VERY short burst is just my imagined boasting are being kinda silly.

Thank you for supporting my idea that the wiki article is slow , it’s max speed is only 4 mph faster than what you report as being a VERY real average. (For us NORMAL folk that think that 10 miles is the whole ride, and not just a section that isn’t quite worthy of counting as an average speed distance :))

And also, thank you for making things easier for us silly americans and keeping your speeds in mph. :slight_smile:

See, you were taking it easy on a 20 and averaged 6 mph, that should only be 2 mph off of your max speed. Just saying the article needs to be reworked. And thanks all for making me realize that for fit peeps it’s slow, and that the rest of you that think that I’m just a lying boastful bastard and that the wiki speeds are right, must be quite unfit. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t count on Roger’s speed as being average…if your speed is close to his, then you are decidedly above average.

I don’t think unicycling speed is that highly correlated with fitness either. When I’m fit I average only slightly faster than when I’m not…and sometimes actually slower. It’s all about technique and how fast you can pedal without falling off.

Average speed

My 28" Sun has a bike computer. On distance rides it shows I average between 6.7 and 7.0 mph. I guess I could go faster but it would be tiring. I’ve never tried a Coker. Wonder what I could average on one of those?

Absolutley, it is all relative.

Most conversations about speed take into consideration the size of the wheel but any comparisons between rides, unicycles, and riders should take into consideration …

wheel size (diameter)

wheel width (the exiwolf I ride is slower on pavement… it’s all beef :slight_smile:

crank length

terrain… are we talking pavement if so what kind… smooth tarmac, rough blacktop, cement with constant bumps and cracks at regular intervals, dirt road, path, sand… I can go quite a lot faster on well maintained paved rail-trails that are straight and wide compared to in town riding in traffic and along streets with potholes and kids (who put 2x6" planks in my path :slight_smile: )

rider… is the seat an appropriate and comfortable height, is the rider carrying lots of extra weight (weight is an issue not just by the force it takes to propel forward but also an issue of comfort especially in the inner thighs)

I sort of equate riding the rail-trials with running on a treadmill. There is hardly any change in the terrain… practically no obstacles to look out for, no curves to manage, no choices to make… (should I go this way or that?). Treadmills (for running) and smooth straight-aways for cycling are quite different from your average ride. (A steady diet of either would bore me to tears.)

Speaking about treadmills, I saw a clip once of someone riding a unicycle on a treadmill. Something I never would have thought of had I not seen it myself.

Hmm. I’m comfortable at 14mph on the Schlumpf. But from that, I can go up to about 18mph without being scared, and that’s it. I think maybe with shorter cranks I might hit 20, but 23mph is amazing.

Rogers numbers fit pretty well with the 36" numbers in the wikipedia article though, a couple of miles higher but then he’s undoubtedly one of the top 5 speed/distance riders in the world, so that’s not surprising that he’s faster than a typical rider.

I think the 29" and 36" numbers are about right for a typical rider, although the top speed in the 36" thing is a bit high, most riders rarely go over 20mph on the flat. The 24" numbers seem maybe a couple of mph low for a muni, because the muni typically has a 24x3 tyre that is 26" in diameter, but might be okay for a 24" freestyle, I dunno. The 20" numbers, seem a little bit low, although if they’re talking rubbishy freestyle with pumped up hard 1.5" tyres, unless you have a perfectly flat run, it’s hard to go fast on them.

Joe