Attention, Attention. SPonsorship help Please?

Hey all,
I would like to get sponsered so I can get Profiles quicker, so I put a form together. I was wondering if you guys could help me out what do you think needs to be changed or added. Thanks.

Logan

E-mail adams_logan@hotmail.com
Logan Adams Trials & Street Unicyclist
Objective: To improve my riding skills, the problem is that I find it tough to advance my skills with ordinary Unicycle parts. Due to the sever stress and pressure that is placed on the Unicycle while doing Trials (mainly the cranks and hub), my skills have gotten to the point where my equipment cannot withstand the punishment from my riding style. I have often had to hold back from doing certain drops or improving my seat-out hop. I am hoping that after reading this and watching me ride you will decide to sponsor me with better parts and I can help to promote your company through special events, competitions, exhibitions and friends.

Experience:

 Ridden for 6 months
 Placed 3rd at TOQUE Beginner Trials Competition
 Ride with The Toronto Unicyclists
 Next competition The RoundHouse

Achievements: Although I have only been to one competition I still practice diligently, with constant improvements. I go on two 4-hour rides per week, one two hour ride with the club and am often practicing on my street or in a near by court. As you will see I can:
Trials
 Gap 4 feet
 Hop 50cm (20 inches, seat in or out)
Rolling Hop 15cm (6 inches)
 Drop 3 feet
Street
 180◦ Hop Twist ride out backwards
 45◦ Shifty
 180◦ 3 feet Drop
 3 feet Rolling Gap

Equipment:

 Kris Holm seat by Velo
 Bedford frame
 20" Luna Bike Trials tire
 Alex DX32 rim
 DT Champion stainless spoke set
 Bedford hub
 Lasco cranks
 Wellgo Gladiator pedals

P.S. It’s in a lot better format and look than this.

I guess it depends on who you’re sending it to, but unless they’re unicyclists I think they won’t understand a lot of the terms like ‘gapping’ and ‘45 degree shifty’.

If you contact your local paper you can probably get them to do an article on you which you could attach to the e-mail; I think companies will be impressed if they see you’ve got some publicity already.

You should also try and get to see them in person/do a demo, as the skills you have look more impressive in reality than on paper.

Good luck!

Good luck. That almost reads like my uni resume…Not! After tomorrow I can add 2 parades. I don’t really know how sponsorship works in the Uni world, but nobody offered me sponsorship in the Moto Cross world until I had a lot of wins. Then the offers came rolling in. Ahhh, Glory Days. If only I had invested all that time into Uni, people would be talking about Chad not Kris.:smiley: What do I have to show for all that effort now, a bum knee! and fortunately not any more.

First a spelling correction:
“severe stress and force” looks a lot better than “sever stress and pressure”.

There is lots of info on the web talking about sponsorship and how to get sponsored. Do a Google search on “bike shop sponsorship” or something similar.

Here are three links I found from a quick Google search:
<http://www.imba.com/sprockids/resources/sponsorship.html>
<http://www.thebikeshop.com/Bikeshop.ca/index_files/Pages/sponsorship.htm>
<http://www.bmxbasics.org/new/sponsor1.html>

And here is a link about sponsorship by a manufacturer like Norco.
<http://www.norco.com/profile/sponsorship.htm>
A manufacturer sponsorship is much more demanding than sponsorship by a local bike shop, but Norco’s description of the requirements does show that sponsors are looking for a return on investment. You need to sell the bike shops that you approach for sponsorship on what they are going to get out of the deal. The economy sucks right now and bike shops aren’t doing all that well right now so getting a sponsorship deal right now may be a tough sell.

Make a short video showing your skills. Some quality still photos would also help.

If you’re handy with a wrench and know how to repair bikes you might be able to get a job as a junior mechanic at a bike shop. Working at a bike shop you’ll be able to get a discount on parts and you’ll be getting some income.

john’s last point is likely to make a majority of sponsorship-wantees say ‘i dont want a job, i want a sponsorship!’
it is important to realise that getting a sponsorship from a company IS getting a job from them and unless u r willing to work hard at ensuring they get a return on their investment in u, u will be ‘fired’

i have to salute your get-up-and-goness on this issue tho

good luck!

Looking at the CV, it says a lot about what unicycling skills you do, but very little about what you can do for them. Have you done any media appearances, papers, magazines, TV etc.? Those would probably be interesting to sponsors. Are you entering an event every couple of weeks, list a calendar of upcoming events you’ll be entering, do you enter lots of bike events, they’ll probably not be interested in unicycle only events.

From talking to sponsored bike riders, it probably is harder work and takes more time than just earning the money. Bear in mind that promoting a company is only partly about actually doing the riding and making them look good, but also about doing stuff like talking to the press, doing demos, explaining it to the public etc, it’s very much not just money for riding.

If you’re applying to large companies for sponsorship, make sure they get some hard-copy still pictures as well as a CDROM/video with your riding on it. Bear in mind that they probably get hundreds of these things a week and probably chuck most of them before watching any video footage. They’ll probably read the first paragraph of the letter you write and maybe more if the photos look good.

If it’s local shop sponsorship you’re looking for, go round all the shops and talk to the people there, find out if they have shop teams and what their specialities are (mtb, road, trials, bmx etc.). Find out which ones sell unicycles if any or are interested in doing so. People I’ve met who rode for local shops don’t always get free parts, but did get to buy things trade price.

Bear in mind that if you do get sponsorship you might have to go to events you don’t want to go to or get up at 6am to talk to the local radio station.

Also, if you’ve got a bigger wheel at all, you might want to do some muni, as if it’s anything like it is in this country, the mountain bike scene is far bigger than the trials scene, so there’s a far larger number of companies who are possible sponsors.

I would remove “ridden for 6 months” off the CV as people don’t usually want to sponsor beginners, replace it with “experienced rider” or something else non-commital like that.

Joe

I think it sounds like some sort of get rich quick scheme that might not work as well in practise as it sounds in concept. Why don’t you start saving up for Profiles? I rode Unicycles that are inferior to yours for more than 6 years, let alone 6 months. I now have Profiles, and they are a luxury to ride with, but I had to save for ages to make it happen. Have you considered a cheaper splined option like Qu-ax hubs or Kris Holm unicycles? Profiles are very nice because they have a lifetime garauntee and are strong etc, but you have to pay for them like everyone else, unless you get very lucky I guess. The equipment failure gives you motivation to save for something better. It is frustrating when you are limited by your gear, but there are still plenty of skills you can work on that don’t break unicycles in the meanwhile.

It’s a hard life. There must be a lot of riders who face this dilemma, but most face the fact that it is them breaking the equipment, so it is them who should pay for upgrades. While you are holding back from certain drops also try to hold your money and save it, gathering together funds to pay for your goal (Profiles). Good luck in getting yourself a strong axle/crank setup Logan, whether it be through sponsorship, fundraising, saving or whatever.

True. Since the economics of the unicycling “industry” have almost no sponsored riders whatsoever, the likelihood of adding yourself to those ranks is very slim.

So, short of figuring out how you will convince a potential sponsor that they will benefit from sponsoring you, it might be easier to approach your campaign as a request for dontations. “Help me buy Profiles because I’m a needy unicyclist.” Some people will donate money to any cause. It could work! Other riders may be annoyed or jealous, but you’ll deserve whatever you can collect. After all, it will be your efforts that got it.

Or you could try the more basic approach of getting the Profiles, which is to earn them yourself. I don’t know how old you are, but there are probably many ways you can earn your way to being able to afford a pair. If you can’t, I guess you’re stuck with whatever you’re riding for now. Like most of us were before we saved up for higher-end equipment.

ahem.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18828&perpage=15&pagenumber=2