Arrrrrrg!!!

I’m having problems and ANY help would greatly be appreciated. Lately my wheel would get jammed, and the other day it stopped turning all together; I’m fairly sure that something is wrong with the bearing. I tried to disassemble everything to get to the problem but my crank arms would not come off of my axle (much like the problem from a recent forum “Help with getting Pashley wheel out of frame”). I’ve tried WD40 and other such products with no success, and because of the wheel and bearing holder positioning it is impossible to hammer my stuck crank arms off. I haven’t tried applying heat yet for fear of damaging anything, and I was curious if there were any alternatives that I haven’t already tried. Like I said, any help whatsoever would be wonderful. Thanks for your time,

Mister Cookie Face

Re: Arrrrrrg!!!

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:02:39 -0500, Mistercookieface87
<Mistercookieface87.mip6z@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>tried to disassemble everything to get to the problem but my crank arms
>would not come off of my axle (much like the problem from a recent forum

I assume that you have used a crank puller instead of just undoing the
crank nut and then trying to pry the crank off with manual force?
Using a crankpuller is the way to go.

If that didn’t work: maybe you could try to ride with no retaining
nuts? But be alert and stop riding as soon as you feel it’s loose. If
only one crank loosens, put that nut back on - tight enough so that
the taper doesn’t damage but not too tight so that it is removable
once the other one is loose too.

Disclaimer: this procedure implies some risk to damage your hub. There
may be a better way. But since you said ‘ANY help would greatly be
appreciated’…

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Dyslexics of the world untie.

are you sure the tire wasnt hitting the side of the frame, causing it to stop rotation. why are you trying to get the cranks off? can you get the frame off and spin the bearing by itself? more information on the exact problem is always useful in diagnosing the problem.

could be

Well, I dought it, but it happened to me. Mabey you rim is bend so the tire is jamed againt the frame.

Thank you,
Ray Edward

Let’s address this methodically. You don’t give us many clues except that the wheel keeps jamming, and you think it’s the bearings.

Lift the uni, or turn it upside down and rest it on its seat.

Now, spin the wheel by hand and let go.

Look where it stops.

Is the tyre touching the frame? If so, then that is at least part of your problem.

Is it because the wheel is buckled? This means that the tyre will only catch the frame at one point in the rotation of the wheel. As you spin the wheel, you will see the tyre appears to weave from side to side. This is because the rim is distorted or buckled to one side. Cure: remove the wheel, remove the tyre, tube and rim tape. Get the wheel trued. That’s a fiddly job, and unless you are 100% sure, get the local cycle shop to do it for you.

Is the tyre too fat for the frame? If you have a wide tyre in a fairly tight frame, it could be that the amount of buckle on the wheel is very slight, but enough to cause the problem. Cure: as above, or put a narrower tyre on!

Is the frame twisted or bent? This could cause the tyre to catch the frame. Check by eye. Measure equivalent distances each side of the frame. If the wheel is constantly leaning one way in the frame, rather than wobbling from side to side, then it could be a damaged frame. Cure: applied brute force and ignorance, or a new frame.

If it isn’t the tyre catching the frame, then it must be something else.

Long shot: is the crank catching the frame? A nasty UPD could bend the crank in slightly. Cure: new cranks. ALWAYS use the proper crank tool. About £10, $15 from any bicycle shop.

Are the bearings too tight? This one seems likely. On most unicycles, the bearing is held onto the bottom of the fork by a C shaped piece of metal, with two bolts. (main cap bearing holders.) It is an easy mistake to do these up too tightly. Slacken them off. (usually 10mm or 11mm spanner) and spin the wheel again.

The correct tightness is this: ticghten them by hand until they sit firmly in place(won’t wobble under gentle hand pressure) then ‘nip’ them a bit tighter with about 1/4 turn of the nut.

If they are too tight, the C shaped pieces of metal will grip the bearings too tight and bend them from round to oval.

If the bearings are permanently damaged then you will need to replace them. This is not a job I’ve done, but I think you’ll need circlip pliers and a bearing puller. If this sounds greek to you (and you don’t speak Greek0 then go to a local bike shop.

Could it be that the bearing holders are too loose? If so, then conceivably, the bearings could be slipping out of line somehow and jamming intermittently.

Could it be that the bearings are full of grit and sand? They are quite vulnerable. You COULD try flushing them through with light oil/WD40 and seeing if they free up. if not, then either (A) strip and clean them (a big job, and possibly not worth the effort) or (B) replace them, via unicycle.uk.com / unicycle.com , and perhaps ask the local bike shop to fit them.

So, approach methodically, from the outside of the tyre in (more or less) towards the hub:
Tyre too big? Get narrower tyre.
Rim buckled? Get it straightened.
Crank bent? Get a new pair.
Frame bent? Straighten or replace.
Bearings too tight/too loose/contaminated? Adjust, flush, replace.

Failing that, ask again.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions

OK, i took my uni down to a bikeshop yesterday to get everything straightended out. As it turns out my uni’s a little screwed up (to say the least). it’s bent in numerous places, the one bearing was broken and there was dirt/gravel jammed into the other one. i’m ordering new parts tonight and hopefully i’ll get everthing back together and in working order before the end of may. To everyone who took the time and responded i just want to thank you so much… it’s reassuring knowing that other people are willing to help me :stuck_out_tongue: heh ehh ehh well ok, thanks again!

Brian