Are you 45+

I’m also just under 45, and I got back into unicycling two years ago. It is now my main form of exersize, and I get out onto the trails as often as I can. I enjoy the incremental progress I’ve made over weeks and months. It just keeps getting better.

I hope to keep riding for at least another 20 years. :slight_smile:

46 - Got back into riding a few years ago after running into a couple of Muni riders on a business trip in Austin, TX.

Went home and bought a beater, got back into it, and now I’m the proud owner of four rides, a 26" Qu-Ax muni, a radial 36", and a five foot Torker giraffe, to go along with the dust-collecting beater…

I still feel like I’m 15, though!!

logo.bmp (284 KB)

I’m a little under the age limit here, not turning 45 until late 2008.

I mostly muni with 2 of my three sons, and the third will likely get started next year when they do circus arts in PE (6th grade–cool, huh?). I was in an endurance race last weekend on the muni, and had a blast–it is an addiction, all right. Besides the unicycle, I like to bike and skateboard (I longboard to work lots of days, and have fun at the skateparks in our area even though I have no skills!).

My father grew up in SLC after being born in NYC; his dad was some kind of an executive muckety-muck at the Bingham Canyon Copper Mine (at the time run by the Ohio Copper Company) back in the 1930s. I’ve not visited often, but always enjoyed the area.

Hello!

I’m checking in as soon to be 53. Unicycling is great, I’m still having fun, and continue to improve.

I can idle, hop, and am just beginning to think about SIF hopping. Funny thing about SIF, is that as a teenager, I could ride SIF, but have not managed it since I started riding again at 49 years.

Never mind what the neighbors think.

i’ll be 50 this april. got my aarp in the mail, then rolled on the wheel for an hour. whew feels great!

Hey ag_streak on the giraffe, you better remove that grown-up-looking name tag or people won’t realize that you are still 15!

And steveyo, I ended up in Salt Lake City after ski bumming in Jackson Hole (in the late 70s and early 80s). I’m still ski bumming (tele-ski and snowboard patrolling at Brighton).

It is fun to make these connections. An interesting side note, my best friend and windsurfing buddy disappeared about five years ago to live with his sweetie in Colorado. The last I heard he was living part time in Baja and kitesailing. It sounded too coincidental with Cynbad’s story so I PM’d her. Sure enough, her fiancé and my buddy are one-in-the-same. It is a small world.

Speaking of finding these connections … I just found out that my grandfather was one of the founding members of the Salt Lake Winter Sports Association, which was responsible for securing the land and raising the funds to create Alta ski area, with the nation’s second ski lift, back in 1936. Google rocks!

47, been riding over 31 years.

Most of those years on my 24 Schwinn (still operational but retired), 24 Miyata, and 20/24 Schwinn Giraffe.

Then about 5+ years ago I discovered there was such things as Freestyle skills, MUni, Coker, & Trials. New skills don’t come as fast but I’m still going strong.

Both my girls ride too.

Like UniBrier, but been riding 7 years. I haven’t made as much progress in freestyle, trials, and muni as I’d like, as I got into distance riding a few years ago and have become kind of a one trick pony. Get on and ride 50 miles appears to be my trick, just please don’t ask me to wheel-walk along the way.

Stevea: welcome to riding and the forum. You live in a GREAT area for off-road riding, as well as some on-road. If you don’t know him, you should connect with Rolf, who organizes the annual Moab Muni Fest. Think he’s down around point of the mountain, and knows lots of trails. If you need contact info, PM me, or search on Moab Muni Fest.

My favorite ride in Utah (not that I know many as I moved away from there just after learning), is Mill Creek Canyon in late-spring, early summer. There is a period when the snow has melted on the road, but they haven’t yet opened it up to cars. Pedalers rule, and it’s a great climb. Do it on a muni or a 29-er with knobby, and you can take the Pipeline Trail on your way back down. Great mix of road and off-road in a single day.

Best think about being an old fart who rides is having a kid to ride with me. Here’s me and my son Miles on Father’s Day this year, about to set a new personal best for him at 26 miles. Good times…

t and m fathers day smaller.jpg

46 here. I’ve been riding for nearly 2 years now having got the idea from my younger son, who started about 5 years ago.
I’m mainly muni with a bit of road riding (26" muni & 29" road) but every time i see a coker I’m thinking mmmmmmmm. Only a matter of time, and persuading the other half I need another uni, three at the moment along with two b*kes gathering dust in the garage.

Thanks for the info, tomblackwood.

I’m definitely aware of the Moab Muni Fest (http://www.moabmunifest.homestead.com). In fact, although I have plenty of Street to learn on my 20" (and love it), I purchased a KH 24" last week in the hope that I will get in some MUni time before the Fest (March 28, 2008). It is likely I’ll end up a lurker at the Fest with weak MUni skills, because the mountains are already blanketed in a thin layer of snow. I will be transitioning to telemark soon, but not yet (I’m meeting my buddy in a few minutes to ride on this brisk, 45F, morning).

we, old geezers on one wheel from France, have a project to go together at Moab munifest … in 2009 :slight_smile: !!!
ok, ok this is really in a distant future! but then you’ll have time to train and we could create a special “old geezers” subsection for a future Moab Munifest. :sunglasses:
btw if any person from the organisation of this event could read this post and note to warn us of the dates in 2009 that would be fine!

when I come to think of it: if my job is prematurely terminated (not an unlikely occurence) I could go to the 2008 edition

OK, I’m 54, and started on Christmas Day, 2006. Purchased a KH24 and went to Moab in March, then purchased a Nimbus 36 for the LBI Unithon in June. Rode my first 25-miler last month by riding from my home to the local community college on the 36er, using Rails to Trails, back roads, and sidewalks.

I try to get out and ride about town 3 to 4 days a week, covering 8-12 miles at a time. I love this sport!

If you haven’t tried it already, before you get too much snow you might want to check out the “Quarry Trail”. You park at the base of Little Cottonwood, and the entrance is basically right by the big flashing road conditions sign. The trail is an old road–now quite decayed which is the challenge–which was used to access the quarry for the temple granite. It goes up the south side of the creek, and offers some good accessible beginning muni…some uphill, downhill, stair-steppy challenges, etc. Plus great views of the creek.

Hey, I am 52 started muni riding about 3 years and hope to have another good 20 years of unicycling in me!

Hans

We’d love to have you in 2008 or 2009. I don’t think the date for 09 has been selected yet, but contact me or visit http://www.moabmunifest.homestead.com when 08 is done.

If you do come either year, feel free to PM me and I’ll try to arrange a geezers gathering. I’ll buy the first round of Moab beer. I have two recent French connections: the Uni Girls video (with French teenagers) is what got me to try a uni this summer, and I was on holiday in Paris and Normandy in 2006. Enjoy!

Wow! Geezers have passion, eh? That’s tremendous progress and focus in 10 months. Keep it up geezer <pun intended>.

They also often have extra cash for impulse purchases. :slight_smile:

Age 51. My 5’3" drop. (Finally landed it!:slight_smile: )

drop2.jpg

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
You are my new hero. That is just plain ill sickness.

Well thanks to this thread I realize I am not just some old geezer who is trying to reclaim some semblance of my youth. So I just ordered an actual Muni today!

I am so totally stoked. I ordered the Nimbus 26’er.
:slight_smile:

I blame each and every one of you! :angry: :angry:
Like I need another sport. :roll_eyes: