Are Quax cranks completely proprietary?

I’m happy to see that Qu-Ax have also gone to caps with a hex cap now rather than the stupid wavy end cap from Shimano that they used to use which was just another tool to carry in a comprehensive toolkit.

1 Like

It’s a big honking hex cap though. I had to go digging in my collection of rarely used allen wrenches to find one that fit.

1 Like

In case anyone was wondering, those Risk crank bolts mentioned are driven by a 10mm allen key.

It’s the same size as a standard ISIS crank bolt takes right?

Unfortunately no. Most ISIS bolts are driven by an 8mm allen key. Most pedals are driven by 6mm or 8mm allen key.

But for sure it’s way easier to find a standard 10mm allen key when in sudden need then such a proprietary wavy bolt driver.

And now a note on those proprietary wavy bolts: make sure to never go very hard with a those plastic tools. They can break (wavy teeth breaking/yielding) and might leave you with the urge of buying a metal tool instead.

Not really because you can use even a kitchen knife to tighten or loosen them. It’s only plastic and it’s only meant to keep the crank in place while tightening the other bolts, therefore you don’t need much force at all to tighten or loosen it. Just make sure you loosen the regular bolts first :wink: