Anyone Tried to get a good Unicycle game out?

Ok, well since this seems to be the time when people want extreme stuff, we have Mountain Boarding, Mountain Biking, BMXn’ Skateboarding, offroad wheeltrairing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, all these sports, that before didnt have as many people doin them, and not as well known. Well now these people have there own people or person who gives them alot of publicity. like skate boarding, would be like Tony Hawk, bmxing Dave Mirra, or Matt Hoffman, offroad wheelchairing, Trevor Snowdin (think thats his name, and hes the only offroad wheelcharer ive seen so far in magazines and movies) those are teh big name stars of the sports that i can remember, oh yeah for us unicyclists its Kris Holm. Woulndt a good way to get the word out about MUni, Trials Unicycle, and just unicycling, would be to have a game for alike computer, PS2, Gamecube, (or whatever the next system the companies will put out next)
The game could be like extreme unicycling, like Tony Hawk 2 or the bmxn’ games, or the mountain biking game No Fear Racing or whatever the name of it is. All those sports have a game to show what the sport is about. Why not have this with unicycling?
It would be cool you could have all teh big name people in unicycling in the game, and you could be there char. each having there own strenghts and weaknesses. Like some could specialize in Trials, or MUni. Then you could have lvls were you go around a city or mountain, and ride on stuf like hop up onto a rail, ride teh rail, or take a drop, ride on stuff that us unicyclist ride on, anything that is a challange or fun. For the MUni part, there could be like teh North Shore, and other various neat trails about N.A. and teh world, there could be teetertotters, drops, steep tricky sections, lots of stuff that would make teh game neat, and challenging.

I guess that the first question that might come to mind is, how do you balance within the game do you just balance automaticly? well i think it could partly be that, but also say on like the PS2 you could use the analog controlers sticks, to balance to,. For like walking the wheel, it could be like square plus say another button, for hopping that would be teh all purpose button X i thiink that would be teh best button because thats what most sports gaems use to hop or jump, and you woulnt want to change it because the consumer would be frusturated when the button their used to pushing to hop is anohter button.
And there could be a shop like Unicycle.com were if you break parts on your unicycle deoin stuff, you go to them to get a new part of maybe fix it, it would be good plublicity for unicycle.com.

Well tell me what you think. It would be cool if someone did this, i dont think i could im only 16 turning 17 in 15 days, and i dont know anytihng about games and how you would go about gettin them made.

So hopefully somone will reply to this, tell me what you think, what you think there would be problems wiht the gameplay, and stuff, k thx for your time, later.

A unicycling game would be cool, but I think that we would need to get some TV exposure first and populrise our sport. Games cost big bucks so there has to be a market for the game.

Does anyone know if ESPN, or it’s ABC parents has been talked to about getting Unicycling, or MUni into the X games. I think that could be a great start to a game like this.

Hmmmm…

I program stuff every now and then, and I’ve been after a new idea since I finished my winamp plugin, and I’m quite tempted to try and knock something up.

How would you envisage doing the balancing? Controlling a unicycle is much more complicated than most things in games…

<puts thinking hat on>

Hmmmmmm.

Phil, just me

as much as we all think unicycling is cool, it’s just not a fast enough sport to be roped in with the X-Games crowd.

What I’m really waiting for is a Freeride/downhill MTB game (I know there’s a crappy one out already) that’s played like Tony Hawk/Dave Mirra/ect… They could call it ‘Joshua Bender Freeride Mountainbiking’ That’s be fantastic

I was thinking about this one day while playing Super Monkeyball. My roommate said, “They usually don’t make video games for one person.”

I would visualize it being a lot like Monkeyball. The analog stick would maintain your balance envelope, and you would pedal with the shoulder buttons (one button forward, one back). Maintaining your balance envelope with the analog stick would be hard at first, but you’d learn - just like real unicycling.

And, to make it more realistic for the player (and a little more like monkeyball), maybe the game character would always remain upright, but the environment would tilt. Just a thought.

Re: Anyone Tried to get a good Unicycle game out?

In article <Sofa.68l6y@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Sofa <Sofa.68l6y@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)as much as we all think unicycling is cool, it’s just not a fast enough
)sport to be roped in with the X-Games crowd.

The X Games include flatland BMX, which is no faster. (You won’t see it
on ESPN, but it’s there).
-Tom

but the crashes in BMX are pretty funky!

Speed, and wipeouts.

Unicyclists just tip over (generally)

A DH uni X-Game event would be awesome.

Downhill courses, drops, technical descents…that’s the stuff!

“Sofa” <Sofa.68trb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Sofa.68trb@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> but the crashes in BMX are pretty funky!
errm isn’t flatland bmx kind of like bmx ballet or something, like not many
big crashes or anything?

well yeah i like the idea that nbrazzi has

“The analog stick would maintain your balance envelope, and you would pedal with the shoulder buttons (one button forward, one back). Maintaining your balance envelope with the analog stick would be hard at first, but you’d learn - just like real unicycling.”

thats a great idea, what also you could do in teh game is do grinds.

what checkernuts said is probably true, that we as unicyclists do need more exposure, before there can be a game put out. hmm, well Kris Holm has been in mutiple videos, newpapers,magazines, heres some of what he’s been in

-Kris has starred in ten extreme sports videos and numerous television features including Ripleys Believe it or Not, Fox Sport’s You Gotta See This, Real TV and a pilot episode of That’s Incredible. He is also the star of the award-winning filmshort Skilletto, which played at the 2001 X-Games and on the Banff Film Festival World Tour, and Unizaba, which plays on the 2001 Outside Magazine Adrenaline Film Festival Tour and at the 2001 Banff Film Festival. - Taken from the Norco website.

be bakck later to finssish up

Unicyclists just tip over (generally), generally just but have you ever seen
Kris Holm come off his unicycle, maybe we can get him to do a workshop at
UNICON on “how to fall”
Barb K.

RE: Anyone Tried to get a good Unicycle game out?

Tony Hawks has plenty spectators making comments and adding to trick points.
We’d have to have them too… along with the smart arse comments. Of
course… knocking down and grinding such a spectator would send your score
through the roof :wink: It’d act as an educational tool for any non riders
playing so they know not to make any dumb comments when they see a rider in
the real world :wink:

-----Original Message-----
From: rsu-admin@unicycling.org [mailto:rsu-admin@unicycling.org]On Behalf Of
brokenframe
Sent: 14 June 2002 16:17
To: rsu@unicycling.org
Subject: Re: Anyone Tried to get a good Unicycle game out?

well yeah i like the idea that nbrazzi has

“The analog stick would maintain your balance envelope, and you would
pedal with the shoulder buttons (one button forward, one back).
Maintaining your balance envelope with the analog stick would be hard at
first, but you’d learn - just like real unicycling.”

thats a great idea, what also you could do in teh game is do grinds.

what checkernuts said is probably true, that we as unicyclists do need
more exposure, before there can be a game put out. hmm, well Kris Holm
has been in mutiple videos, newpapers,magazines, heres some of what he’s
been in

-Kris has starred in ten extreme sports videos and numerous television
features including Ripleys Believe it or Not, Fox Sports You Gotta See
This, Real TV and a pilot episode of Thats Incredible. He is also the
star of the award-winning filmshort Skilletto, which played at the 2001
X-Games and on the Banff Film Festival World Tour, and Unizaba, which
plays on the 2001 Outside Magazine Adrenaline Film Festival Tour and at
the 2001 Banff Film Festival. - Taken from the Norco website.

be bakck later to finssish up

brokenframe

Old enuf to know better. Young enuf to do it again.

brokenframe’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/726
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/18683

rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

> How would you envisage doing the balancing? Controlling a unicycle is
> much more complicated than most things in games…

Don’t make it too real, or people will give up before they give themselves a
chance, just like in real life.

But computer games don’t need to be real. Look at all the fighting games.
None of them comes anywhere near to the real thing, and balance isn’t even
an option. As if you can’t fall down from doing a backspin kick…

What about a relatively simple concept, where you have two different tracks,
the wheel’s track on the ground, and your “body’s” track, representing your
center of mass. You have to keep your center of mass in the right area in
relation to the wheel track, or you’ll fall down.

It might be fun to figure out how to depict that on the screen, but if you
can make it work it would allow you to fall off in any direction. Plus it
would require you to lean into your turns, be lined up real good for riding
on narrow things, and to lean forward or back to add or reduce speed.

Have fun,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

IF IT DAMAGES PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PROPERTY,

SKATEBOARDING

AND UNICYCLING

IS A CRIME

(Mind where you grind)

> what checkernuts said is probably true, that we as unicyclists do need
> more exposure, before there can be a game put out.

I don’t think this is necessary. After all, Nintendo came out with Uni
Racers way back when they introduced Super Nintendo.

Video games are abstract, so that you would not have to like unicycling to
like the game. You would only have to like how the game plays.

My question: Would a popular unicycling video game lead to more people
riding unicyclists? I don’t think martial arts video games lead to more
people taking martial arts classes. Or do they?

JF

> > but the crashes in BMX are pretty funky!

> errm isn’t flatland bmx kind of like bmx ballet or something,
> like not many big crashes or anything?

BMX = Bicycle Motocross. Flatland Freestyle, or BMX Freestyle is what you
are describing, which definitely is low on big crashes. It’s less like
ballet than like the Open-X event (see it at NAUCC and UNICON)!

Regular BMX is done on a dirt track, and though it may also be a part of the
X Games, I don’t think I’ve noticed it on TV. I’ve seen a little of the
Flatland on TV though, but it’s harder to watch without good closeups, and
not as “big” as vert (ramps).

JF

Ok back, had to get off, tehn i tried to get back on but the page woulndt load :frowning:

John Foss:

:My question: Would a popular unicycling video game lead to more people
riding unicyclists? I don’t think martial arts video games lead to more
people taking martial arts classes. Or do they?:

Your right. A game may not bring new people into the sport. But it certainly give more show of what the sport is about… We need more people like Kris, who give all tihs coverage, who else is big in unicycyling? If there was like coverage on some primetime show, that showed what the sport can be, and not what most people think of like a clown, on a unicycle,but that you can hop, do drops, ride railings, down moutnains, if they saw that, they might pick up teh sport, and more games could be bought.

Can people go to the unicycle conventions for free to see whats happenin if they dont compete? like just watch people ride? Because that could be another good way to get the sport ouf of teh closet and into the light.

But back to the game, anyone know what it takes to make a good quautliy game? and about how to advertise, like you can have a good game, but if you dont advertise good, noone will know about it, well not as many people if you adversied in a way that everyone saw what the game is about?

ok later. :slight_smile:

Re: reply

A lot of money. Marketing and development costs for the quality console games can be more than $5 million. Just getting the development kits and development hardware for the console systems is difficult and expensive.

PC based games are more accessible to develop for. It’s easier to get the programming tools needed to write the game. But actual development costs are still going to be very high. Modern video games are very complex. They are not the relatively simple games from the 80’s where a small group of programmers could write and sell a good looking game.

Here is a little blurb about 3DO and their costs for developing console games <http://www.howstuffworks.com/3do7.htm&gt; A google search will find you more info on what it takes to develop a modern video game.

Given the costs, it is very unlikely that we will ever see a unicycle based video game like you want.

john_childs

I did make some lame unicycling platform game ages ago because i was
REALLY bored…
All you had to do was use the arrow keys and jump over stuff and the
knock down certain things for a score. It was all 2d graphics and
everything, which is why it took hardly any time.
For a game like this to work it would really have to be 3d and then it
would be very expensive.
Its a nice idea, but I don’t think the target audience is large enough
to make production worth while.
Out of every 2,000 games made 1,950 dont make money. 50 make their
money back, and 50 make a profit, but this profit will be millions…
These are the really popular games like ‘the sims’.
Unfortunately I think a unicycling game would be one of the 1950 :frowning:

Paul

I’ll throw in my two cents, as I am a game developer, and have toyed around with this same idea for quite a while. I even almost started once, but changed my mind to do a bit of simpler stuff to get it out on the market and produce some money while I undertake a larger task. I have friends with a studio, where they have PS2 development tools and lots of other good stuff, but to convince them to make a “Kris Holm’s Pro Unicyclist” would be rather challenging. The way I would convince them is to get an early alpha out, showing them what is possible with it, and then they might take it up.

I am a big fan of the whole “pro sports” series, including Tony Hawk’ Pro Skater and Matt Hoffman Pro BMX, and I don’t doubt that if the game was well-made and similar to the other titles, KH Pro Unicyclist would catch on just the same. They’re just fun games to play to a lot of people.

When my financial situation becomes more stable, I can see myself producing this game… perhaps next year. It’s one of those games that would need to be on the consoles more than the PC, as console games get much more revenue and people tend to play sports games more on console systems. Nowadays if you have the right tools it’s not difficult to write a game for the PC and consoles at the same time (RenderWare, for instance). It’s still difficult to write the game, but there is no need to rewrite for the other platforms.

Anyway, if anybody decides to start up such a project, let me know, and I’ll help where I can.

There was Uniracers for the SNES back in 1994 or so. Loops, jumps, stunts, all kinds of fun stuff. I have it and play it once in while along with Stunt Race FX. Old video games rule.

John

Uniracers is the greatest! i love that game. that is where i got my uni forum name hint**hint yea and in the last levels there are added challenges of reverse controls where everything is backwards or barf mode whn the screen spins and goes crazy or the best the slow mo mode where all the stunts and spins look soo cool. there are alot more so ill have to play and report back with othersl peace out Kyle Grasso