Anyone ridden Wharncliffe Woods?

I’ve been looking for some good trails that aren’t too far from where I live and I found an article about Wharncliffe Woods near Sheffield, UK at mtbbritain.

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/wharncliffe_woods.html

Has anyone ridden up there? Is it any good? It’d be good to get a unicyclists perspective before I give it a go.

Cheers, Gary

Don’t know the woods, but we can give it a go some time. At this time of year, we’ll need a Saturday or Sunday free, as evenings are getting dark too early. I’ll be in the Sheffield area next Tuesday visiting friends so I might have look at the woods.
Mike

<Dashes off to find out how long it takes by train from Lincoln to Sheffield>

:slight_smile:

Phil, just me

I’ll not get up there before next Tuesday so let me know if you get chance to take a look but don’t go riding it all without me :slight_smile:

Cheers, Gary

You Brits are so lucky. Everything is just a train ride away for you. Here in Canada, stuff is more like a plane ride away.

-Mike

Yeah, right. And you’ve been on a British train? It’s no picnic. Generally quicker to walk, and cleaner to roll in the mud. And besides, no one goes on the trains coz they’re too crowded.

OFF TOPIC!!!

Do these conditions pre-date the privatization of British Rail, in your opinion? I have not been to the UK since the late 80s and the system seemed to work pretty well to me. I’ve heard that splitting up the railway among various owners has made the pricing and schedules incomprehensible and generally a great bother.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

ok. What I was trying to say was that everything is close together. I’m sure the trains are crowded, but at least you dont have to drive fow two days or take a plane to get to the other side of your country.

-Mike

It can take two days to drive across Nottingham at the moment. :0( (As Unicus may confirm.) But I suspect we wander off topic… unless these planned trams have considerably fewer wheels than I expect.

Arghh. you know what I mean. Plus, the UK is such a nice place (people, landscape, monty python, etc.). But dont get me wrong, Canada still kicks ass. I really need to visit Britain sometime. All my family, but me, has been there and they say your country kicks ass. One of these days…

-Mike

Re: Anyone ridden Wharncliffe Woods?

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:32:30 -0500, ekimstorm
<ekimstorm.bhwh1@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>ok. What I was trying to say was that everything is close together. I’m
>sure the trains -are- crowded, but at least you dont have to drive fow
>two days or take a plane to get to the other side of your country.

Trying to be helpful. Why don’t you draw a virtual line the size of
Britain around the place where you live. There must be plenty of good
MUni trails in there and they’re all close together by your
definition. Your problem stems from your desire to ride all over your
country - but why would you?

Klaas Bil

If you had this signature, I have forged it.

I don’t know about 2 days but with these damn road works, I could get to Wharncliffe Woods (about 45 miles) quicker than your side of town (about 8 miles). And I’ll never use the trams anyway, as I don’t the trains (I have my reasons but that’s more off topic).

Anyway, I was thinking (dangerous) that there should be a site with info and reviews of places to Muni in the UK. Hmm maybe I…and if I…then I could…and if someone else…

Is there a site for Muni places in other parts of our small globe?

Gary (thinking some more)