Anyone know what this is? Help on a purchase

Someone has offered to sell me this cool looking 24" Muni for $100 + shipping across the states. They said it was custom made by someone. The crown is actually adjustable and can be changed for a smaller wheel which is interesting. I don’t have a muni yet, and I’d like to get one, so if you guys could help me out and tell me if you think this is a good idea, or if you can identify the parts that would be really awesome.

EDIT: I really don’t know much, especially about buying unicycles used, so if you have any tips at all I’d appreciate it.

Looks like a bargain. There was a company in Germany that made unicycles like that; Pichler. Don’t know if they still make them, or if that’s one of theirs. I wonder how old it is?

Cool thanks for the info. I’ll have to get back to you on it’s age. The only things I’m worried/curious about are the weight, and how secure the crown clamp thing is, because even if it were really secure and they didn’t more up and down, they could still shift forward/backward and sort of “twist” if you get my meaning. Like when you land your bike hard and the seat twists off to another direction.

I can tell you everything you need to know about it. I built it several years ago and sold it to another member here on the forum. The legs and seat tube are made of 4130 chromoly tubing and the clamping section of the crown is very stable and secure. It has 150 mm Nimbus X cranks with a unicyle.com wheelset. The bearing holders are made from shaft collars and are very solid (unlike some of the weak bearing clamps used on cheap unis).
It is well worth $100 since it is a “handmade custom frame” :wink:
I built 3 of those framesets, that one, a 29’r (which I still own) and a 36" frameset

Here’s the link to the 36" frame thread when I built it:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37531

It looks like I sold that Muni back in 2007:

Wow very cool! I love seeing the story behind things. And I love that 36 frame you made.

Thanks for taking the time to share the info!

Now it’s a steal! Kenny, you have invented the Pichler Rad. :smiley:

Thats

Really cool id love to get one of them! It sounds like a great deal!

Lots of the same features as in the Dirt Uni

Man! That uni has a lot of the same features as in Eugene Cathcart’s Dirt Muni! The round bearing holders and the adjustable fork crown!

Unicorn

There was one more of those frames out there somewhere. I forgot about the first one that I built, I don’t remember where it ended up?

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36747

are you still making anything?

No, Dane. I don’t make them anymore. As a matter of fact, I haven’t ridden either one of mine in over a year :thinking:

That’s too bad, they have a really cool look to them. Is the crown section from mountain bikes? Or did you synth it yourself?

Thanks, the crown section is from a MTB suspension fork. I guess I need to find time to start riding again. My Muni is just collecting dust (it’s the second picture in the link):

That’s a crazy looking frame!