Anyone know of a good vest?

So, I was practicing, got going too fast for my own good, my uni goes out in front of me, and I landed in such a way that I kinked my back. Can anyone recommend an affordable vest?

Come to think of it, I didn’t land on my back, I landed right on my butt. So, I do not think a vest would make a difference if it happened again. I probably just need to watch it. Anyone else taken a spill like I described? Also, I tried flailing around my arms like I read somewhere, and it does seem to help.

I’ve seen references to armor that covers your butt, there are some here–I remember someone talking about his armor that he had to stuff into the back of his pants. :astonished:

You must be making progress if you got going fast enough to hurt yourself. :slight_smile:
Now that you see that uncontrollable falls are possible, will you please get some wrist guards? I remember from your other thread that you didn’t think you needed them. I can highly recommend half-finger Harbingers. Hand and wrist injuries are very possible(I know of several), and I think wrist guards help you protect the rest of your body by removing any hesitation to catch yourself in a fall. Broken wrists from slipping on ice/slick floors and falling backwards are pretty common and could certainly happen on a uni.
You won’t be much use over there if you have a broken wrist, and we need you there.

Have fun and be careful on all fronts.

Scott

one time i was doing a 180 off a ledge and when i hit the uni shot out from under me and i hurt my back. it was in front of a crowd so i had to act manly and pretend like it didnt hurt. regretably it did.

On my 1st proper 29er ride, I decided for some inane reason that I wouldn’t need wrist guards or 661s so off I went heading for a country park near my house, and then thought “hey going across this park that I know like the back of my hand on my new uni that I’m not great on is just crazy… I’ll go around the other track that is gravelly and pot-holed to sh*t and see what happens” Anyway, after going very fast across this gravelly pot-holey-ness, I suddenly lost control and hit the gound running, but not fast enough, so I fell on my hands and knees and tumbled over (seeing in horror on my way round my shiny new 29er doing acrobatics down the road behind me), bouncing off the middle of my back and straight on to my ass.

The worst bit is that I had just passed 3 old ladies and an old man saying “ooh look at that!” so I just got up as though it wasn’t no thing but a chicken wing, picked up my machine being careful not to make eye contact and walked briskly around the corner, feeling as though my hands and back was on fire.

Turns out I cut both palms, elbows and a knee, missed the head thank God and gave my rear-end a minor bruising. Back was unscathed strangley enough. Gonna take wrist guards from now on.

I guess a motorcycle type armadillo back protecter would do the job, but maybe over kill!

I don’t know about you, but the thought “Am I wearing wrist guards? Is it safe to put my hands down?” doesn’t tend to go through my mind as I fall. The reason wrist-guards are such a good idea (although I don’t own any) is beacause people will keep their arms out first and therefore get injured hands. That’s instinct, and there’s no hesitation. Wrist guards help protect the hands and wrists, but whether you’re weraing them or not, the only time your hands won’t go out is when you can’t reach.

That said, if you’re going to buy a helmet, I can see no good reason not to buy wrist guards at the same time, hopefully you’ll need them more often.

It is not that you think about having them on, it is that you learn that it doesn’t hurt to fall on your hands. After you tear your palms off once or twice, and sprain your wrists a few times, your mind remembers that and next time you go down you may opt for a shoulder roll or trying to run it out when it isn’t necessary or safe. Just as you can teach yourself the “right” way to fall, you can also become conditioned to fall the wrong way because of some past experiences or a deficiency in some area of your body.
Also, wrist guards with exposed plastic splints slide on hard surfaces which can be very helpful in a high speed fall.
I know others will disagree, I only speak from my experiences with several abrasive and high impact sports.

I agree with Scott. Wristguards are better than gloves (which I usually wear), but whatever you’re wearing, you can also teach yourself how to fall. This is probably the best way to reduce your chance of injury.

In my early years of riding I got fairly proficient at falling because I was getting so much practice. I learned to dive-roll if I was at speed, and how to come down in ways that would minimize bodily damage.

This does not mean you can avoid wearing safety gear and not get scraped up; I wore it!

For a butt-landing that causes a sore back, there is probably not much you could wear to protect against this, except possibly a weight belt (one of those things you wear for lifting). I don’t know. Mostly it would probably help to work on some falling techniques to try to avoid this kind of landing. You can’t prevent everything, but if your body is trained to react fast in falling situations, it can make a big difference in how long before you can go back to riding without pain.

This is especially true as we get older, heavier, more out of shape, etc. Been there.

I agree about needing wristguards, and have been looking at protective equipment on the internet. All I have at the moment are weight lifting gloves, which I will be wearing until I get real wristguards in the mail. As far as the whole lower back protection goes, I do think I just need to learn how to fall from a unicycle. I’m pretty good at riding a skimboard, and a good part of safety in that sport as well is learning how to bail. I just got all caught up in the moment of riding as far as I did, which I’m sure is common.

Leather cycling gloves will also allow your hands to slide on the pavement. Not as well as sliding on plastic splints, but your hands will still slide.

For people who don’t want the restricted movement of a wrist guard but still want to slide you can get a palm slider from Rollerblade. No wrist protection, but it’ll slide better than leather cycling gloves.

rollerblade_palm_slider.gif