Anyone know a brand of unicycle which is...

not abusing of children from third world contries? For those who still beleives world is USA, well im talking about the little «Made in China, taiwan, south corea, India, etc. »

Yeah, the ridiculously overpriced ones.

Thanks to the hard work of all those little guys, I have many unicycles, instead of just one. Everyone wins!

Not sure. But I remember reading somewhere that just because something is made in a third world country doesn’t mean that it was produced in a sweatshop or using child labor.

David

True, but lately, the third world contries have been in a ferocious competition and it caused the salaries of the workers to lower as a point where they can hardly subsist

by child i meant 14-20 years old, after 20, they are often fired because they are less fast at producing, and it reduces the chances to have mothers on the staff, which costs more to the employer)

The pieces are not ridiculously overpriced. It is like saying Fair Trade coffee is ridiculously pricey?

Is anyone aware of any unicycles being produced that are abusive third-world children? How about we start there.

Not to assume this is not happening, but we can’t assume it is, either. And possibly a definition of what are unaccaptable conditions, and what options a worker in a less developed country has to choose from.

You not buying their unicycle is NOT going to help them one bit!

Yes and no. In the short term you are right. But, in the long term IF the companies that use bad practices lose enough business, then those companies either go out of business or they change their practices. Either way, you are (in the long term) left with companies with better practices.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not pro child labor or pro “sweat shop”. Of course if we could identify companies with blatantly abusive labor practices for manufacturing my unicycle, we would want to put them under. But by American standards perhaps most third world factories would appear to be sweat shops. Those people subsisted before the unicycle factory came to town, and now it is a little bit better for them, most likely, and that gives them hope;)

Sounds good, until you realize that guys like YOU and I (who imported our unicycles) will continue to go for the best price (and the best service).

Last time I checked, a unicycle purchased with the similiar specs as mine will cost $200 more than I paid. Whether or not Sally Struthers cares is irrelevant, we can all “care” when there’s a tax deduction involved :slight_smile:

//runnin’ a crank made in the US and a tire made in China.
//thinks this thread should be moved to just conversation before . . .

I don’t get your point. We imported our unicycles from Canada to the USA. Canada has good labor practices. We got no substantial price break (at least I didn’t).

I got a good KH wheelset muni, customized to my liking, and I got in January instead of months later :slight_smile:

Where was your KH stuff made?
I know some KH stuff was made in Canada (I forgot what, the old seats?), however, at MOAB they explained why some KH stuff was made overseas . . . which comes to my point.

Economics, availability and service.
Did you buy your KH thinking about Canada’s labor laws? Would you have agreed to wait months if Canada alledgedly had bad labor laws? I know that I cared about durability, service, speed and price (I did quite a bit of research before going to Bedford). I knew I was importing (which took extra time) but that I would get a better price.

I am willing to admit that I would NOT have bought the same unicycle for $200 more after considering my opinion related to 2nd-hand information regarding labor law rumors. I buy direct from Russia, Romania, China, India and Canada, and get a cheaper price every time.

I am not sure how you didn’t benefit the same way. Maybe it was because I was dealing with a higher priced product? In my case, I was able to get the same quality of any of the rough-terrain unicycles at unicycle.com (sans brake) for $200 less (even though I am pretty sure a paid a lot more for the tire).

I think I remember Roger from unicycle.uk.com mentioning a trip to Taiwan to a factory. Maybe he could fill us in on the labour practices employed there.

I’m sure there will be the ultra righteous who wouldn’t believe that people in Far East industries could possibly be treated fairly, but there you go. Some first hand testimony is probably better than wild speculation.

Re: Anyone know a brand of unicycle which is…

First what makes you believe that a ‘child’ in any of these countries builds any Unicycles in less than ideal conditions?

You haven’t answered that question so far or is it just an assumption based on your miss-educated judgement about the rest of the world?

Have you in fact ever been to any of these mentioned countries?

I work in Angola presently and have travelled extensively. Workers in these countries want you to buy their products, it’s better to work a ‘sweat shop’ and make some sort of a living, than hawking on the street. You condescend these low paid workers with your assessment of their work. The employers of these people become wealthier, they in turn purchase products and services, which employ other low paid men, women and children. Just because they ‘subsist’ and don’t have the wealth that the USA has, doesn’t mean that they don’t have a quality of life that which by buying their products provides makes them unfortunate.

Consumerism of the USA/Europe should perhaps be a better topic?

JJ

============.

Re: Anyone know a brand of unicycle which is…

In article <duaner.157dn8@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
duaner <duaner@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)elmer wrote:
)> *You not buying their unicycle is NOT going to help them one bit! *
)
)
)Yes and no. In the short term you are right. But, in the long term IF
)the companies that use bad practices lose enough business, then those
)companies either go out of business or they change their practices.
)Either way, you are (in the long term) left with companies with better
)practices.

Well, you’re right as far as you go. But you have yet to prove, or even
provide any reason to believe, that companies making unicycles and unicycle
parts have bad practices.
-Tom

Come on answer the charges?

DrBallard,

You never answered any of the questions?

JJ

Semcycle??? They do make a bloody good multigenerational unicycle, it is constructed much better than jugglebug, but it does cost 3+ times as much.
carjug

Sorry I dont spend my life watching these boards!
I<ll try to explain my POINT OF VIEW as best as I can in english since im… french canadian, and therefore, my english skills are quite poor.

«You haven’t answered that question so far or is it just an assumption based on your miss-educated judgement about the rest of the world?

Have you in fact ever been to any of these mentioned countries?

I work in Angola presently and have travelled extensively. Workers in these countries want you to buy their products, it’s better to work a ‘sweat shop’ and make some sort of a living, than hawking on the street. You condescend these low paid workers with your assessment of their work. The employers of these people become wealthier, they in turn purchase products and services, which employ other low paid men, women and children. Just because they ‘subsist’ and don’t have the wealth that the USA has, doesn’t mean that they don’t have a quality of life that which by buying their products provides makes them unfortunate.

Consumerism of the USA/Europe should perhaps be a better topic? »

No I've been in deep Africa doing cooperative (?) work in villages and I've read many books, essays, on this subject. I shall stated a few authors such as Naomi Klein with her book "No Logo", a real bible about the branding process and the industrial zones (ZFI, zones franches industrielles in french) in the thrid world contries. Right now, she is working in Irak and she has already visited MANY of these zones which are commonly called sweatshops. I can also state Fast food nation by Eric Schlosser, Boycott by Steve Proulx (a french canadian essay), La Grande désillusion (dont know english traduction) from Joseph Stiglitz, and many more. All that to say that no, it was not, like you said, a "miss-educated judgement about the rest of the world". Maybe you are so well educated, but you don't seem to have learned respect yet.
   "t’s better to work a ‘sweat shop’ and make some sort of a living, than hawking on the street." Have you ever asked someone working in a sweatshop if he'd like better to go back in his village? He will tell you YES. At least, maybe it was hard working of a poor farm, but he can be with his family and receive support from the community. Also, he is not obliged to work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week with non-paid overtime periods when they have to fill in huge orders. Also, people working in sweatshops are often kicked from their home villages because some multinationals companies is building industrial fields or new golf court for a chic tourist zone. Therefore, they are STUCK to work in sweatshop and such. Yes, it is better than doing nothing, but it is OUR fault if they do not have any choices besides ... sweatshop, until death comes. It may look like the industrial revolution europe and north america lived in the late 1800 early 1900, BUT, they only get the bad sides of that. In long term, they wont be richer, nor more industrialized! It only generates more wealth for us, north-americans and "civilized" (no i do not think what ive just typed) people. Yes globalisation creates wealth, but for whom? 

If you do not want to spend money buying books to be informed or travel to see this reality WHICH IS BIAISED BY THE MEDIAS, then al least, go to the library and lent it and… read some. It is quite sad, we are virtually living in an aseptized cocoon. Blocked from all realities which shock us too much, and then, we just do not want to hear them.
Once again, I say, sorry for the poor quality of english and the lack of specific terms.

Charles

“Well, you’re right as far as you go. But you have yet to prove, or even
provide any reason to believe, that companies making unicycles and unicycle
parts have bad practices.”

False. That’s the impression we all have with the new “mode” coming in such as Boycott nike becuase of child labor. The activists took Nike as a symbol for the figth of human rights because they are a huge brand. Because hes the top one. Same thing for Coca-Cola, McDonalds. It doesnt mean the competitors doesnt do the same! they could NEVER be competitve if they would use the ZFI (zone franches industrielles in french) in third worl countries part! In 1984, when the Mondial Bank and the OMC (in french again) mades pressures on the thrid world countries to pay back their depts they had for trying to “catch up” with north america after getting their independance, they interests rates were much higher. Therefore, most thrid world contries now have to spend near 50% of their yearly PIB to pay back only the INTERESTS on the debts (that money mostly going to … usa). The OMC then imposed a single culture in most african countries so they can make more exportations to pay back their depts (coffee, peanuts (in Senegal) or cocoa (Ivory Coast) FOR computers, cars… the trading rate is quite unfair). In countries such as Thailand, India, Indonesia, South Korea, Vietnam, etc. they installed ZFI so strangers companies would come give out some job since the jobles rate was so high. Before 1984, everything was “MAde in China” and the people working in teh ZFi were getting semi-descent salaries, sonme were getting syndicates, etc. But after 1984, a huge competition was installed between China and the newly ZFI countries i stated before. Therefore, many syndicalized companies from china moved to a cheaper labor country. Sri Lanka, for exemple, gave out a 10 years taxes free for the companies if they came. Therefore, now there is so many unemployed in those countries, if a company gets syndicalised, it would just close, and switch country. The competition is so heavy, salaries goes as low as 11 cents an hour. Much lower than minimum salary of the country since ZFI and NOT under the labor laws of the country, even if they are physically there. Therefore, everything made in china, india, sri lanka, etc. is VERY VERY probably made in sweatshops.

a question that all ways comes up for me is:

should i buy american made products?
surely financialy assisting the worlds greatest oppressor is a bit imorral?

i share charles’s concerns that our equipment might not be entirely free from bad karma.

i actualy can’t think of a unicycle that is made with fairtrade parts.
the closest i can think of is dm, but even they have tyres made in china.

“should i buy american made products?
surely financialy assisting the worlds greatest oppressor is a bit imorral?”

Yes, you should! We all should!
First, the are laws in usa which assure that the people crafting the gears are not abused. (Not talking about the illegal mexican immigrants who are tolered in california because they are paid a lot less to collect our strawberries and such).
Also, if we buy products made in usa, the companies might less want to move her crafting arears to third world countries to be more competitive. Although, as we are going now, it will happen. Ok, im a bit pessimistic, but… we HAVE to do something.

Charles