Anyone is using carry bag for his Uni?

The material is extremely durable (a little heavy), but has good water resistance as well (not counting the seams).

But the main reason I have them on my bags is because I like to do things with as little effort as possible. I went to the local canvas/boat/truck workshop and that is the material they use to cover boats and various things with. All I had to do was ask for a square thing with a zip on top and a handle, and I gave them my unicycle to measure up the size.

Cheap and easy.

I also had a bag made from the article on adventureuni site. I have backpack straps on mine which is great when you are at a train station or airport and have other things to cary. The rectangular shape is good too for putting gear/tools in. I end up with it hanging on my shoulder under my arm as well so I would recomend making the top handle big enough for this. I think it only cost $50+ to have made in the U.S.

Last year I’ve made bag for my 26’ and it’s good for travelling by trains. It is customized for 26" and looks like bag for big guitar :slight_smile:

I have got plans to travel by plane with both 26" and 24" soon. Yesterday I bought Grivel Duffle 130 liters Bag (http://www.escalade.pro/vente-materiel/fr/sac-voyage/984-duffle-grivel.html)and it looks like can hold two of them. I will try fit them in two weeks. Below are some photos of the bag with 26" inside, still some room remaining. I’m sure, it could take 26" plus sleeping bag plus some shirts and gear inside. And it doesn’t look strange.

For my 20" I’m using an uni bag from O’some:
http://unicyclist.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57445&stc=1&d=1362246541
https://www.facebook.com/pages/O-SOME-Clothing-Stuff/231784580176271
It is useful. The only thing is that you have to remove the pedals to fit uni in. Which has pros and cons as usual :wink:

And for Unicon I bought a bag for a big folding bike (I guess 26") and it accomodated my 29" and all my stuff for two weeks. But it was very large and hard to handle, so walking distances with that was a real pain:
http://www.zator.com.pl/sklep/pokrowce-na-rowery-skladane/pokrowiec-na-rower-skladany-26-and--strong.html

I just bought the unicycle travel bag from UDC and flew with it- my 29" Oracle fit nicely with the seatpost removed (I also took off the pedals but not sure I had to. Wasn’t cheap but worked well and there was room to put my helmet and hydration gear in there. Not sure I would use it on a bus for daily travel, but great for a flight and I wasn’t charged the bike fee that airlines like to charge.

Just found this searching around for unicycle bags on google:

Just got my new 36" custom made uni bag

Hi All,

Just wanted to share with you the pictures of my 36" uni bag.
It turned out a bit larger that may needed but on the other hand it allows enough space for additional equipment e.g. helmet, shin guards, etc. as well.

The main reason for this bag is simply to be allowed to carry it with me to a shuttle or bus (according to the law in my country even folding bikes must be inside a bag when loading it onto a bus).

I will put it to the test soon…

Cheers!

I figured out the best way for my trials, in a garbage bag lol

Nice unibag you’ve got!
Good luck with your shuttle plan… :slight_smile:

Have fun,
UVcycle

You are not going to believe that, but for my 20" Uni I took a large nylon garbage bag in order to wrap it as a carry bag in the shuttle - and it worked :slight_smile:

But it was a one time journey with my 20" - for the 36" I will need a daily fixed solution.

I just got a “giant” military bag I ordered long time ago:

I took off pedals and it ate my 26er up to the saddle, so it seems that just pedals and saddle needs to be removed to fit whole uni in this bag. Unfortunately it is very tight with road tire (26x2.1) so with bigger tire I would need to deflate it. Still not that much work for bigger travel and it costed 5$ with shipping.

@vookash, now your 26er has Uniform… :wink:

I used to use a big trash bag when I was taking the train with my 26 muni.

However, I recently tried to flight with my Muni and looked for a bag I can use and maybe pad properly.
I found that Mavic is making bags for 29er MTB wheels. There is a lot of room in it. I used two square of cardboard boxes on each side to have stiffer sides (the fabric looks strong but is very flexible).
I had no problem fitting my 26 Large Marge and my Conundrum frame as is. Dropped the pedals and seatpost and voila.
There was enough room for a 29er for sure and I was able to add my shin guard and elbow guard in the corners, as well as the pedals, tools and some clothing.

The hardest part was to make sure I pick an airline with no extra fee for this bag (that was right at the size limit) :smiley:

And the best part was that it was around $30 at my LBS !

Mavic_29er_bag.JPG

And here is two pics I took when I returned.

Of course, the frame can fit in the bag without a problem when not straight up :smiley:

Back again, this time with two unis in the bag :smiley:
Soon I’m going to take a plane with my 24" and 26" munis. To pack them in, I had to dismount frame, take off tires and unscrew one pedal on each uni. Not to much space left in the bag. Looks like I shouldn’t meet problems on airport. The bag looks causal. But the fact, I have to take off tires and put them again on rim after travel makes me really discouraged :angry: .

Dang! expinsive bag of stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

I have an alternate approach that would be the best by far unless it has already been tried.

I talked with the state government authority that set the policies and rules under which the various types of public transport operate. It took me about three months but I successfully negotiated (indeed, substantially wrote) a workable policy which they agreed to. It enabled me to take my unicycle onto buses.

A couple of years later I did the same thing for trains.

As result I am travelling on either with no need to break my unicycle down into bits or bag it. I am also not restricted as to the times on which I can carry it. I don’t need to carry bags, dismantle anything, plan my times or anything. There just has to be room on the train, same as if I was not carrying it. I get on when it is packed full of passengers just like everyone else.

With the prospect of an outcome so perfect, it is worth giving a try before anything else.

If you want a reference policy go to http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/UsingTransperth/BikesonTransperthservices.aspx

Hi @colinoldncranky,

Thanks a lot for your post, however in Israel the law for carrying bicycles, etc. onto buses and trains had changed only in the last few years.
It would be almost impossible for me to get such special approval as the law is very strict.

BTW - I already made my custom bag (and posted its pictures earlier).

The point is that I felt, correctly IMO, that the problems and practicality of carrying a unicycle is not at all the same as for a bike. That the difficulties a bike presented for other passengers would not be present for a unicycle. Carrying a golf bag would be a better (not good) comparison.

While we had bike policy that they were happy with, the staff didn’t know how to treat me. So they bundled me in with bikes. My negotiations were to get it treated NOT as a bike. Once I opened that line of reasoning they considered it and agreed with me.

Your people may have a recently reviewed bike policy. What you need to do is show them that it is not appropriate. That the carriage of a unicycle is not as intrusive to others as a bike.

I gleaned from the bike policy at the time that one of the significant issues they had was dirty chains in crowded passenger space. So I addressed that in my submissions by limiting it to “chainless” unicycles. (You will see that on their site.) We have no chain, dirty brake pads etc.

Another issue was space taken up. So I sent them an image of me standing at a bus stop leaning on the unicycle close to me - not much room at all. And offered to meet and show.

On movement of the unicycle though pedestrian space and crowded carriages I again offered to meet them with it in a station to show how it was easy to control and carry and move around people. To do whatever they asked to alleviate any concerns. As it happened they never called me in and so everything was done by phone and email.

They must have agreed with my basic premise - that a unicycle does not have the same issues as a bike - and they expanded their policy accordingly.

I am sure that I still have most of my correspondence filed away somewhere. If you wish to see it, PM me your email address.