Anyone ever mounted one of theese on their uni?

So I’ve had this idea for awhile… but I haven’t wanted to buy a hobby horse. Especially for unicycle jousting, I think it would be great to mount one of these:http://www.sactoys.com/shop/itemdetails.aspx?brandid=133&itemid=2826 on a unicycle seatpost or brake mount or something, so that it looks like you’re riding a horse. Anyone done this before? It was kind of mentioned at the end of the Unicycle cop stories thread, but not quite the same thing.

I’ve been pondering the concept too, but I’m not sure I’d want to just go with a head. I’ve been thinking more along the lines of a complete plush horse. Of course the challenge is that whatever is used has to handle a great deal of abuse.

I think you’d need a medieval helmit to make this work.:smiley:

Re: Anyone ever mounted one of theese on their uni?

There’s a guy up in Eureka, CA who did this as a spectator at the Kinetic Sculpture Race; basically he just used electrical tape to tape it to his seat tube, and then wore a horse’s butt strapped around his waist.

The head wasn’t affixed very well; it got in my way when I was mounting and such.

A few uni horses have been made, mini mansell in the Uk has one pictured below, some of the Dainish riders have them and most are used in shows. I used minis one a couple of years back, it was Ok to ride but mounting was slightly harder than normal. I only rode it gently in doors. the horse was a big hit with the kids at the school I was working at tho, one of the girls (aged 7 or 8 with multiple handicaps and very limited communication or mobility ) was entranced by the ribbon reins and the fuzzy mane and spent ages stroking the mane and twisddling the ribbon.
Sarah

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37618&highlight=horse+head

For best results, instead of using a head-on-a-stick, get the whole horse. Buy an old kids’ hobby horse; the kind where the horse is suspended on springs and the kid bounces around on it. Smaller ones are easier to ride, but bigger ones look better in a parade or otherwise in front of an audience.

The horse will become your seat. Attach it carefully and strongly, so you don’t break the horse by simple riding.

For extra credit, use an off-center wheel of 24" or larger, so spectators can see the “horsey” motion as you ride along.

where can one buy said wheel

A good wheel builder should be able to build you up one. Note that they are quite tricky to make and you use spokes of varying length.

My friend got one built up and it took multiple trys by multiple wheel builders before he found someone who could do it. (I think the first two wheel builders thought they could but then got half way through and failed). The guy who managed it in the end built it up once and it wasn’t eccentric enough so he tried again with the net result being a nice eccentric wheel.

The other approach is to not use normal spokes at all but weld up something (like the kangaroo unicycle on John Foss’s page)
http://www.unicycling.com/garage/kangaroo.htm

I made one for halloween. I used PVC piping to make the head pivot and a hinge on the top of the neck area that would allow it to “open” when dropped. I covered it in fur and made a saddle out of leather type material. For the backend I used more PVC and fur and for filler used foam. I actually made a “poop” shoot that dispenced peanut M&M’s, was the hit of the party. It was bulky and heavy, and If I do it again, I will look for one like John described from one of theos sationary spring type horses.

Tom Miller at the Unicycle Factory should be able to build one for you. I’ve done it, and find it very time-consuming cutting 36 spokes when each
is a different length.

I didn’t find it that difficult to build, and if you give me the hub & rim measurements and the offset you’d like, I’d be happy to calculate the spokes lengths for you. You’ll need a Hozan spoke-threader to cut-and-thread the spokes, but the actual building of the wheel is not that difficult when you precalculate the lengths.

This is a 20" with two inches of offset, designed for a right-foot climb with about 15 degrees of lead. (Right foot does the climbing and maximum effort occurs when the right crank is still 15 degrees above vertical.)

Neat. You’ve got a spoke crossing pattern there. The unicycle club I’m in has an eccentric uni (or a bronco as we call it) that has a noticeable offset. The problem is that it’s laced radially. Easier to build that way but the wheel isn’t as strong. I haven’t ridden it because I fear I’m too big and heavy for it.

A radially-laced wheel is easier to build if you’re using the classic technique of fixing the hub and rim in relation to each other and hand-fitting each spoke. When I started building this wheel, I’d never seen a picture, only descriptions, and I envisioned a 3X wheel as too difficult to build this way (it is). Because I didn’t know the “trick” of radially lacing, I ended up pre-calculating each spoke length for a 3X wheel and building it up like any other wheel.

A radially-laced wheel is inappropriate for the torque a unicycle subjects it to. That said, if the spokes are at a high and uniform tension, it should be safe to ride. The problem is that, depending on the rim and spoke type, it may be very difficult to reach this high tension, and it puts incredible stresses on the hub flange. An offset wheel precludes uniform tension, which makes this problem somewhat worse because it is the lowest tension that gives the wheel strength (so it must be high), but the highest tension that tears the rim and hub apart (so they must not be too high).

Check these out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5957528365&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

For anyone that needs a horse.

The early Semcycles were all radially spoked. This was a real-world engineering lesson for the company. You can still get a Sem Deluxe with a cross-1 patter (last I heard) which is a compromise between the high stiffness of a radial wheel and some spoke crossing which keeps it from falling apart like a radial can.

The radial Semcycles had a rim with a concave cross section, designed for high spoke tension. The problems that I saw were never noticeable at the flange (other than that’s where the spokes would break), however. The act of riding would tend to work the spokes loose, because pedaling would move the spokes back and forth in the rim holes. Loose spokes are death for a radial wheel, and the only way to keep it in good form was to tighten spokes regularly.

Once I was playing in a basketball game with Ken Fuchs on a radial Semcycle. He started off with one broken spoke. After about 5 minutes of play, he had something like five broken spokes. A chain reaction!

Radial spokes are great for wheels that don’t get any torque applied, like the front wheel on a bike (with no disc brakes).

For home-building an offset wheel, if you have a set of extra long spokes and a spoke-threading tool, you can probably do it the un-scientific way by clamping the rim and hub into a stationary location, threading all the spokes, then cutting them to length at the rim and threading them from there. When tightened, the spokes will all protrude beyond where you cut them, so you may want to cut them a second time when finished. For me, I’ll hire a Tom Miller or similar to make mine!

The Unicycle Factory: (765) 452-2692

I prefer the donkey for that amusing quality. :smiley:

Honestly, I like the donkey more too… I just found the Clydesdale first.

With every pedal of an eccentric wheel you put a lot of force into getting over the climb. That climb has to lift your body weight by 4 inches or so (or whatever the offset is). That’s a lot of torque and force that a normal radially spoked wheel would not be subjected to unless you were doing hill climbing or other aggressive style of riding. An adult like me could easily break some spokes on the radially laced eccentric wheel.

It’s unfortunate because I’d like to try the club’s bronco uni just to see what it’s like. But it’s a uni built for the kids and for people the size and weight of a kid.

www.unicycle.fr, a French circus supply company sells built-up eccentric wheels. (They aren’t associated with Unicycle.com, despite the name.) start at this page then click ‘Cycles’, then ‘Eccentric Wheel’.

+()||>-

I would like one of those, but instead of a horse’s head, I would like mine to have the head of a T-Rex.

That would be way cool.

I held a stick horse and unicycled around once. I seem to also remember some 12 foot poles getting swung around while we rode right at each other.