Anybody here learn to rid unicycle after age 60?

Keep up the hard work and it will get easier. Good job keeping at it!

Congrats CG.

Give it up Fatboy, you are going to go injure yourself trying to make the grade. Unless, of course, just like your brother, you could run marathons, ride MTBā€™s and do a lot of thinkingā€¦er sorry thatā€™s hiking, After all if you did a lot of thinking you would realise the absolute potential dangers, in a fraction of a second, that could happen during one of the most obscure balancing-acts you might be foolish enough to attemptā€¦maybe not.

Sell you soul to beelzebub do something with your lifeā€¦lol

1 Like

Iā€™m 57 5ā€™8" 160 bls and just 10 hours into learning. I have a 20" Club and practice at local tennis courts. Donā€™t like the going along fence so started at the net post. Nice sturdy net post and a tight net where the trick for me. You start at the post and hold top of net. The closer to the middle of the net it gets more wobbly so you canā€™t relay on it too much. This was just the right thing for me.

After awhile as I rode along net I could let go and then re-grab. I saw videos saying not to ride along fence too long but to just get up and go without anything. This was scary at first but I believe it has helped me learn the balance point better.

I practice for an hour a day and it takes about 20 minutes before I even start to not be scared out of my mind. A thousand 2-3 feet runs with a few 20 foot runs mixed in when I get lucky. It was at the 9 hour mark things I began to really get hope that I was getting it.

monocyclism, that gave me a good laugh, thanks :slight_smile: Perhaps it is the thinking, or lack thereof, that I am trying to ride again.
Be glad when I get moved so I can get back to putting time on my Torker.

Congrats SOC. Canā€™t wait to read more about your improvement(s) and accomplishments.
Frustrating for me to finally get to ride again, then suddenly have to get moved into town all within 2 weeks. But there are lots of areas to ride that are close to the apartment that I am moving into.

To late Geoff, I already ran away to slave for a spot under the big top.
My heart beats to Entrance of the Gladiators! If only they would turn the spotlights on me and my clown nose might make the crowd cheer!

Soon Fatboy will be riding the rails too.

Joe Myers

2 Likes

Ha ha! methinks itā€™s not the clown nose that makes the crowd cheerā€¦ā€¦itā€™s those darn juggle-balls! Now then, I hope you are taking into account the advice to Fatboy ā€“ even though he is not listening! Huh maybe notā€¦ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

1 Like

Seriously 10-15hrs

Whoever came up with the 15hr rule?

I took 70 hrs or 2 months of everyday & 2x day sessions for me to learn.
If you can learn under 15hrsā€¦I consider you a ā€œnaturalā€.

So, if you are still at 10, 20, 30,ā€¦50 hrsā€¦keep it up!!!
You will learnā€¦Keep on!!!

Iā€™m in my early half century age, btw.

lol, donā€™t know about Fatboy, but oldfatboy is here reading when I have a free moment.
About completely packed and signed lease today, so will be moving starting Friday 1st.
Then Iā€™ll have time to ride again.

Oh, btw, cleaning and packing the last closet, and I found my sixsixone knee/shin guards! Now I have them along with the KH guards that I just bought. :slight_smile:

amazing: same for me! (glad to see I am not the only ā€œun_naturalā€ rider!)

Today I made a record run for me. All the way across two tennis courts. Best part was I didnā€™t hold my breath the whole wayā€¦I actually told myself to breathe.

Sounds great! There seemed to an evolution from ā€œHow long can I stay on? Gotta go as far as I can before I come off!ā€ to ā€œI have to be somewhere and I might as well be sitting here. Iā€™ll pedal around until I feel like stopping.ā€ :slight_smile: But it took a while to get there. Every bit of time and each of those practice rides, long or short, helped things along.

Breathing is good. Keep doing what youā€™re doing!

Just an update on whatā€™s going on, I will be moving tomorrow. My brother is coming over with his pickup (with canopy) and large covered trailer. Hopefully will only take 2 trips with full loads, then spend weekend getting somewhat settled. Then back on my 20"
lol, I have KH gloves, KH and sixsixone shin/knee guards, elbow guards, helmet, and my homemade back/tailbone guard made from old computer mouse pads (works great).
Hey Michelin Man (If anybody on here goes by that name, I donā€™t mean you), you have nothing on me :slight_smile:

Well, back to packing

I see you as more of an early cheroot-waving Bibendum, less of the recent baby-eyed blobby Michelin Man. :slight_smile:

Good luck with the move. Itā€™s usually traumatic for most of us but hereā€™s hoping itā€™s no worse than normal. Look forward to following your uni adventures in the new location.

MichelinEdouard-CycleTyreAd300px.jpg

Re-learning from my first session in my forties, now, as I am retired, it is much harder to do it, but consistency is the watchword, just keep at it, slow and peaceful. There is no rush.
Breathing is something I have never thought about on unicycles, it just happens I guess, but it all certainly helps in the fitness stakesā€¦!! :sunglasses:

Moved and been unpacking. Lost my balance and about fell flat on my back. Reached out for support and in process of breaking my fall, severely pulled muscle(s) in back and chest. Uncomfortable, so will rest it a few days before trying to ride unicycle.
lol, really envy all of you that are improving your riding, but Iā€™ll join you in improving riding next week.

So you injured yourself moving stuff not falling off the uni? That shows you how safe unicycling is - keep it up, when you can get back on!

Ouch! Take care OFB and get back on that unicycle when youā€™re ready.