Any more for Sleepless in the Saddle race? Grovel grovel.

I’ll be riding as fast as I can - I just said that in case people were worried about me thinking they’re too slow. I’d much rather do it in a slow team than not do it at all - after all, I don’t know how good I’ll be myself yet.

If I can’t raise three team-mates I’m going to be reserve for the other team and Tue’s co-driver for the journey, so I’ll be going either way.

Rob

Bummer. I think we’re unlikely to be competing for the same team-mates though :wink:

Rob

The intention of my post was to try to persuade anyone else who might have been pondering to do it… although reading it back I appear to have forgotten to actually say that. Bah!

Good luck in your search…

Phil

Rob- I can loan you some more lights and batteries. 10w smart light set rejigged to be helmet mounted and forthe battery to go in a back pack. I won;t be fit enough or free of baby enough to do the race myself tho.

Hi Rob,

Sorry I think one 24h/year is enough for me, although I had been considering it before SSMM, I need to spend a little more time with the family.

I talked to Liam tonight as he came round for his first 29er & 36" rides, but I think previous commitments eliminate him this year.

Keith

Hi Rob.
I’m sorry to hear about this. If there is anyone between Cornwall and the race track that NEED A LIFT TO SAY YES then that isn’t a problem. I’ll happily exchange the VW Polo for a couple of sizes up.

…EARTH CALLING SELLWOOD…(last seen orbiting Exeter)

I’ll also get hold of Kevin from Falmouth. He might be interested.

Keep cheerful - Tue

I’m sure that if I told Tom what the problem was, he would volenteer even before I finished the sentense… He has got a fake beard somewhere.

Don’t worry too much Tue. If we can raise another team than that’ll be cool, but I’ll go anyway as a reserve if we can’t (I can always put poison in your food the night before so I get a ride ;)).
I’m very aware of the fact that it’ll be my first attempt at something like this - I think I should do fine, but I don’t want people going out of their way to get me a ride then I turn out to be useless :o

Rob

Ah, I’m afraid I’ve got an altogether more nautical engagement for that weekend.

Another year perhaps.

Ok, so it looks like I’ve been convinced. I did have a previous engagement for that weekend, but that’s changed now, so I have told Steve that I’m in.

Seemingly Steve and I will be a pair (he’s the mentalist suggesting it, not me… I’m just impressionable :slight_smile: ), and there should be another team of four.

Of course, if there were any others willing to make pairs, it could make it a really fun game…

It also means that I’m on the scrounge for lights again, if anyone has superfluous illumination going.

Can’t wait for it. SSMM, the Blackpool run, Sleepless… it just gets better!

Sam

UPDATE:
This continues with a glowing invitation from Steve over on this thread… go on, it’s fantastic. You know you want to!

You really are insane!

After the Mountain Mayhem I’m really looking forward to SITS, even though I’m doing it in a terribly conventional and boring manner. Say hello when you overtake me up the hills… :slight_smile:

All the 24 hour races I’ve done so far really have been a highlight of the year. It’s like a muni weekend but moreso, with loads going on and hundreds of people encouraging you to keep going and try harder.

Phil

You can rely on that Phil… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m assuming that John and yourself will camp with us unicyclists?? Unless you’re tooooo ashamed to. We will still talk to you - just! :roll_eyes:

See you in a couple of weeks. Incidentally, what length cranks do you want on the Coker for the Blackpool Run - 110’s, 125’s or 150’s? Most of us will be doing it with 125’s and I think that’s what you had on last year. Don’t forget to bring a nice comfy saddle - you’ll need it. :smiley:

Steve

That’s superb news. Thanks Sam (and Steve!) - I owe you one for that. See you all there.

Steve: When/how do you need my details and money?

Rob

If you’ll let us in to the unicyclist encampment that would be grand. I promise to try not to set fire to anyone with a flame-throwing gas stove this time… :slight_smile:

I think I did the Blackpool run on 150s last year, but 125s seem worth a try this time.

Phil

Tue was trying to convince me to be a pair with him but I resisted… really not a good idea on my first attempt at a 24-hour race I don’t think :astonished:

Rob

You’re quite right. It would be silly.

But then you’re talking about entering a mountain bike race on a damn fool silly circus bike - of course it’s daft. Why not go the whole way and be properly silly. You can learn night riding while you’re there - it doesn’t get dark instantly!

I’ll camp with the unicyclists, but my university are also sending a bike team, and it might be nice to say hello to them. Sadly getting those two different sets of people camping in the same place may be about as likely as starting a ride on time at a muni weekend.

John

Thanks for sorting out the numbers Sam. I take it that it will be Des, Paul, Rob and me on the 4 person team.? Tue

What?! You’re not there to enjoy it, dammit! If you’re not riding, eating pasta or sleeping you’re on the turbo trainer. Right?

Tch. Younguns today, eh…

Phil

Rob: Silly in a very relative concept. I’d definitely say go for it as a pair if you want. The worst that can happen (if the others from the otherwise four-person team are also ok with pairing it) is that you feel so drained you have to both have a break at the same time… a virtual team-mate if you will. But having only two of you on each team lets you do as much riding as possible which can surely only be a good thing. :slight_smile: I’m sure you and Tue would make a formidable pair. And yes, you can learn night riding on the job. It’s just the same, only darker.

Though we are still one person short AFAIK. Des can’t make it, so there are still only the five of us. Come on - anyone who’s lurking this thread… it’ll be fun! (…is anyone feeling a little worried at the urgent persistance of these claims - ‘fun, really, yes, honest’). I’ll add my tu’pence: the two Mountain Mayhems I’ve done have easily been the most fun, challenging and all-round satisfying muni experiences to date.

Sam

Bummer - I hadn’t heard that. Tue has been trying to persuade somebody he knows to come with us, but I spoke to him a couple of hours ago and we thought we had enough people already. I’ll let him know to carry on with the persuading.

Rob

The list of riders so far are on the other thread

Keep on persuading guys.
Steve