antibiotics.

So, I sustained an extremely nasty pedal bite yesterday while freestyling downtown, not thinking too much of it, (even though the lacerations went down to the subcutaneous fat layer) I irrigated it and dressed it and went to sleep.

When I got out of bed this morning, I noticed a large amount of necroptic tissue (black, dead tissue) around the wounds so I went to the urgent care clinic and had to have 1000 mg of antibiotics injected into my hip and minor surgery to remove the necroptic tissue.

has anyone else sustained an injury quite like this?

I got stiches for the last pedal bite I had… they kinda did the same thing but no flesh was removed.

Goodluck with that infection.

Chex

ps any pix??
:smiley:

A friend of mine ended up with very nasty cellulitis after the same injury and came in to hospital for about almost a whole week on IV antibiotics. It can be nasty- I’m sure there are all sorts of nasty bugs harboured by pedal teeth.

Sorta puts a damper on the 5-second rule, eh?

i have to ask…
:thinking:

The “5-second rule” is the rule that says if a piece of food drops on the floor, you have 5 seconds to pick it up and still be able to eat it. It’s sort of a tongue-in-cheek thing, but really – if the toast drops butter side up, are you going to throw it away? Quick - you’ve got 5 seconds!

:slight_smile:

failing the 5second barrier, u can always disconfect it

1. DISCONFECT (dis kon fekt’) v. To sterilize the piece of candy you dropped on the floor by blowing on it, assuming this will somehow `remove’ all the germs.

'-)

Ha ha ha good one.

thanks Chex, unfortunately, no pics… i wish i had a digital camera so i could post pics here, but alas, i don’t…

Well, who doesn’t do this? Except for some sticky candy. They have be washed in a sink or you can try getting all the hair and stuff off with your fingers.

hopeful, we’ll have to get together and ride sometime, I live right outside of Charlotte. I’m not the greatest in the world and usually stick to the woods but I’d join you for an urban session in the downtown just the same :smiley:

The Seattle Times ran an article last month:

‘5-second rule’ isn’t just kids’ stuff, study claims
By Dru Sefton
Newhouse News Service

WASHINGTON — Oops! You’ve dropped your Oreo on the floor. Do you pick it up and eat it?

It’s a conundrum for the “five-second rule”: If a piece of food is on the floor less than five seconds, it’s safe to snarf.
But is that true?

A young researcher set out to determine the answer during her summer internship in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Her findings surprised even her microbiologist mentor.

“There were a very low number of microorganisms on the floor,” said intern Jillian Clarke, 16, a senior at Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences.

Clarke and Meredith Agle, a doctoral candidate at the university, took swab samples from floors at dozens of campus locations.
“We did it several times,” Agle said. “The floors are clean. We did a bunch of areas: near vending machines, the library, cafeteria. There just weren’t high numbers of bacteria on any floors.”

That’s probably because floors are dry, Agle added. Germs thrive in damp environments.

But don’t gobble that Oreo yet.

Clarke conducted swab tests in the laboratory on rough and smooth floor tiles inoculated with E. coli bacteria. She dropped foods, timed them there, then examined them under a high-powered microscope.

Items dropped on infected flooring were indeed contaminated in less than five seconds.

So, the good news: Chances are the floor beneath your fumbled Oreo doesn’t contain harmful germs. The bad news: If it does, your cookie is contaminated and shouldn’t be eaten.
“I’d applied that five-second rule a lot,” Clarke said. “But I never really took time to think about it.”

Neither had food-safety expert Peter Slade. “I’ve heard it from my kids,” he said.

Slade is an associate professor at the National Center for Food Safety and Technology in Summit-Argo, Ill.

“I turn a blind eye when my kids drop something on the kitchen floor,” he said. “But then, I assume our kitchen floor is relatively clean, not inoculated with E. coli.”

If the floor is contaminated, sticky items are especially dangerous. “Peanut butter and jelly, face down, that’s a goner,” Slade said.

Furthermore, don’t think that shaking or blowing will help. “You may remove visible dirt, but those bugs are microscopic,” he said.
Keith Schneider agreed. As an assistant professor in the Food Science and Human Nutrition Department at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Schneider writes fact sheets for the food industry on safety issues. One warned in capital letters: “THERE IS NO FIVE-SECOND RULE WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD SAFETY!”

“Have I eaten a cookie or piece of food after I’ve dropped it? Yes,” Schneider said. “Have I ever given my child a piece of food when it was dropped? No. Have I ever served food that had contacted the floor? No.”

Schneider’s advice: “When in doubt, throw it out.”

The science behind the five-second rule is one thing. Determining its origins is more difficult.

“I think anybody with kids knows that rule,” said Lynne Olver. “Unless you have a dog. Dogs are in there within four seconds.”

Olver, a librarian and editor of the Food Timeline, a research Web site sponsored by the Morris County Library in Whippany, N.J., could not locate the first mention of the five-second rule.

“We checked phrase books, quotation books, Americanisms,” she said. “The New York Times historic database, that goes back to 1851.”

She and her staff also searched food-reference encyclopedias, health databases, newspapers and children’s magazines.
“Lots of references were from people remembering camp days,” Olver said. “Some people said it applied only when you’re outside, because you can’t just go back to the fridge to get more food.”

Her only other theory concerned sports.
“We found references to a five-second rule in basketball,” she said. “Maybe there’s some weird connection.”

Not to professional sports historian Bill Himmelman.

In basketball, “If a player is holding the ball and is being closely guarded by an opponent and doesn’t dribble or pass within five seconds, that’s a violation,” he said. The offensive player forfeits the ball — kind of like discarding dropped food after five seconds.
“I’ve never heard it connected,” Himmelman said from Norwood, N.J., where he runs Sports Nostalgia Research. “It’s a strange question. But I think it’s just a coincidence that in each case it’s five seconds.”

Himmelman hadn’t heard of the five-second food rule.

"But I grew up with a father that said, ‘There’s nothing wrong with dirt,’ " he said. "He’d say, ‘Pick it up, it’ll be fine.’ "

Copyright © 2003 The Seattle Times Company

to quote mark twight on concerns regarding the structural integrity of climbing gear

“when there’s any doubt, there’s no doubt.”

(he also famously coined the phrase ‘it doesn’t have to be fun to be fun’ to explain suffering thru intense training sessions. quite pithy is our mark)

Germs? Itty bitty invisible monsters that make you ill? Gimme a break. Did you ever seen one for yourself, or did you just assume they exist because the TV told you so?

Germs are just something made up by advertisers to sell disinfectant.

:wink:

yeah, and weapons of mass destruction are just something made up by …

oops, sorry, wrong forum!

:wink:

oh, but he’s not trying to sell anything