Another leg armor question

I’ve used the search function but I’m still confused so thought I’d just bother all you nice people with another question on leg armor. 661 seemed like a good place to start, according to some people who’ve posted to these forums, and my LBS carries them. I thought I’d get the full knee/skin guard. When I got there and asked the guy about them and whether they’d also provide calf protection, he said no. He brought out a pair of 661 veggie skin guards (the lack of knee protection is no big deal really because I have an old pair of rollerblade knee pads) and said they have the most calf protection of anything he carried. I did try them on in the store, but had black pants on, so I didn’t notice what I found out later. So, I spend the whopping $48, (half of what I spent on the Torker!,) brought them home and actually tried them on bare legs. There’s an unprotected spot about 3 inches square right in the middle of my calf, and when I practiced tonight, the pedal caught me right in that spot, just like it’s already done a couple of times with no protection. What the heck? Isn’t there anything out there made specifically for uniing? I anticipate getting as many bruises on my calf as I would get smacks on the shin! I think I remember someone mentioning Lizard Skins - do they protect the calf? My LBS only carries 661, so if I bought the Lizard Skins on the internet, how would I know if they’re going to fit me?

Thanks thanks. Any help is appreciated. Hope the LBS will take back the 661s.

Leg Armor

What you need to realize is that unicycling doesn’t require a hard covering for the back of the leg to provide sufficient protection. Both Roach and Kris Holm leg armor in addition to 661 carry models that have something covering the back of the leg (Roach has a tough mesh and the KH’s have ballistic nylon). I ride on Easton Flatboy pedals and actually had the same accident twice (once without Roach pads, once with the Roach). While riding down stairs, my foot came off in front of the pedal cosequently driving the pedal into the back of my leg. The first time (my left leg) resulted in massive cutting/bleeding/scaring not to mention a miserable 6 mile ride home. The other (my right leg) suffered a minor cut that didn’t even require a band aid. I’m sure in this situation the KH would have been even better but, nevertheless, the mesh did fine to DEFLECT THE PEDAL from my leg to prevent injury, not block it. Although I can’t vouch for a hard covering for the back of the leg seeing as how I’ve never ridden with them I can say that a mesh or nylon covering for the back of the leg should prove worthy for most of the accidents your legs will suffer.

leg armour

im having the same problem

i managed to put 5 scratches on my left calf (all about 2 inches long) and a full pedal imprint on my other calf! i cant seem to find any pads with protection in the rear!

bungle

I use the 661 4x4’s and they seem to offer adequate protection from cuts to the calves. If your LBS will allow you to return yours, try to get a pair of these from here:

I have the 661’s .They protect the knees and shins okay; but I’ve gouged the heck outta my right calf just below the knee where all that’s there is the mesh on three ocasions ; I would say the 661’s in that place just slightly minimize the damage (but they leave a bit to be desired) … I know someone here uses soccer shin pads backwards under his 661’s… I 've been considering that myself.:stuck_out_tongue:

I have the 661’s .They protect the knees and shins okay; but I’ve gouged the heck outta my right calf just below the knee where all that’s there is the mesh on three ocasions ; I would say the 661’s in that place just slightly minimize the damage (but they leave a bit to be desired) … I know someone here uses soccer shin pads backwards under his 661’s… I 've been considering that myself.:stuck_out_tongue:

digigal,

The thing that leg armor is intended to prevent is the pedal pins (when using metal BMX pedals) sticking into your shin and dragging down, creating 1/4 inch deep craters down your leg. There are lots of threads regarding ‘pedal bites’, as they’re called.

Bruises you’ll just have to deal with. Besides, the stock pedals on your torker should just be plastic wellgos, right? You might need leg armor once you upgrade to metal BMX pedals, but by then, your technique should be better and you won’t be having those problems

Re: Another leg armor question

I have had my pinned pedals smash in the back of my 661 4x4 a couple
of times. On one occasion I drew a little blood but the protection is
quite good.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

I’ve had my sharply pinned pedals smack the back of my 661 4x4s on numerous occasions, and slam them hard on one or two occasions. One slam did cause a small tear (1/4"), and gave me a bruise; never drew blood. I consider the 4x4s thoroughly adequate.

I wear lizard skins. They wrap almost all the way around my leg so that there are little to no openings in the foamy (whatever kind of durable fabric) except for way at the top and about a square cm patch just above the top of my shoe in back. There is no actual hard stuff in back but, as everyone has said with other pads, whatever fabric they use is VERY strong. I think this setup has saved me from 99% of my pedal bites.

I also wear lizard skin kneepads that are huge but still great!

If you are really interested i am wearing them in these little vids:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albuv16/erikrockline.avi
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albuv16/erikniceline.avi

These things have lasted me a couple years at least. i dont think I’d have legs left if it wasnt for these guys. However, for the price, i think i will go for 661’s for my next pair. I also think that 661s look better.

I’m 6 foot with a 33 inseam if that helps at all.
-erik

Ditto.

Right, plastic pedals. But I’m way past an age that huge purple bruises look cool, and I’m enough of a girly to want nice-looking legs when I’m not being a tomboy.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I took the veggie guards back today and got a refund. I’ll just keep my eyes out for something with a bit more calf protection.

try an extra pair of normal football shin pads worn backwards. I know a few bikers who do that, and I think its been done on a unicycle.

John

Thanks for that - I decided to bid on a pair of new Lizard Skins on ebay - got em for $20 plus shipping (great deal.) They do protect alot better than the 661 veggies.

Re: Leg Armor

Aargh! boy I have six month without riding + some nuisance
still lingering to prove the contrary
( a knock from my seat handle
smashed my calf , my achille’s tendon broke, and I am still left with
a good muscle strain…)