Another Great Lunch Ride...

Wow, what a fun lunch time ride I had again today. I amazed myself several times today.

I rode 5.27 miles. That is further than any ride to date for me. Of course, this is all on my 24" Schwinn. I started off doing a 1 mile warm-up ride along the river. I decided to see if I could ride for 1/4 mile, BACKWARDS, and I did. This was along a straight and flat section of paved trail, also along the river. I thougth a 1/4 mile backwards was pretty cool.

Next, I rode over a little grassy area to a county rode and over to a huge hill that overlooks our town. A paved rode runs right up the side of it, with no cutback at all. I rode 1/2 mile up and 1/2 mile down this killer hill (at least 45 degrees :smiley: jk). This made up a whole mile with just this hill. I rode this hill without ever stepping off the uni, from bottom to top, around the culdesac and then back to the bottom. My heart, lungs, quads and hams really felt this mile of the ride.

Then I rode up the other side of the river, and for the 3rd and 4th times ever, I made it all the way through the gravel pits with no UPDs. I am patting myself on the back as I type… :wink:

On the way back, I decided to see if I how fast I could ride. I broke my old best of 10.6 mph by a whole mile/per hour. 11.6 mph. Whippeeee, at least for this 40 year old, I thought Whipppeeee… I only kept up this for about 100 yards or so, but it was really fun to go that fast. My Schwinn has the stock 140mm cranks.

Finally, I tried hopping. I had read a web page written by Scott _______ yesterday about “How to Hop” and I tried what he said. I was amazed. I hopped up and down, then even hopped sideways, back and forth, keeping my balance. Granted, my hops were only 2" or 3" high, and 5 or 6" across, but it was a fun start to me. Now, even more than ever, I want to get or build a Muni. I know what I want, I only problem is to convince my bride that NOW is the time to buy it. :smiley:

Lastly, several people made comments today as I rode. First, a fellow working on his car, watched me with facination and said, “How in the World do you do that?” I liked that comment. Next, a young teen boy, watching out of the rolled down window of a big SUV, says, “Is that easy?” That one confused me. Does it look easy? I just told him, “It’s easy once you learn how!” I had several cars pull into businesses and watch me pedal by, then pull out and pass me again, watching with craned necks. Two cooks at a Chinese Restaurant came outside and watched as I rode up the long wooden boardwalk. My turn-around point today was the end of this boardwalk. When I turned around, I looked and they were still standing looking around the corner of the building at my ride. They both jumped back like they had been caught doing something wrong. But, they continued watching as I rode back by them. I don’t know if they were simply very intrigued, if I made them feel like the were back in Bejing, or if they thought I might kill over any minute, and they would use my body to make great filler for their egg rolls. :smiley: Well, that was my ride today, and wheee, was it fun.

Hope I am not a bore you guys by posting some of my rides. I am really enjoying riding and just want to share. --chirokid–

Re: Another Great Lunch Ride…

> Hope I am not a bore you guys by posting some of my rides. I am really
> enjoying riding and just want to share. --chirokid–
>
In the contrary, it is great to hear what other people do. I for one
immensely
enjoy it, plus it make me want to go out there as well. Keep us posted.
Congratulations on your achievements, I also can’t hold within my skin with
joy when I succeed at something, whatever small it may seem to the
casual observer.

> –
> chirokid
>
> “Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession.”
> Mikefule
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> chirokid’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/27040
>

When we did the 10K at the NAUCC there were several onlookers on the bridge above the parking lot at the start of the ride. I can only imagine what was going through their minds as they stood there on an early foggy Sunday morning looking at over 100 unicycles and there riders. Everything from 16inch variety to 36inch. If you had only seen one or two in your lifetime, then out of the blue were blessed to see that spectacle it had to be pretty overwhelming.:smiley: Man do I love Unicycles.

As for buying the Uni, there is no time for discusion, buy then ask forgiveness for your weakness. By the way the KH24 is pretty sweet for the mountains. If you paln on doing any distance on road, change to a fireball and 140 cranks. The 170’s will make a mile seem like two.

Finally, I tried hopping. I had read a web page written by Scott _______ yesterday about “How to Hop” and I tried what he said. I was amazed. I hopped up and down, then even hopped sideways, back and forth, keeping my balance. Granted, my hops were only 2" or 3" high, and 5 or 6" across, but it was a fun start to me.

That’s still on my ‘to do’ list. I’ve got to convince myself to start working on some skills. I sure could have used some good moves at the 12 Hours of Mac this past weekend.

Congrats on your progress, keep the stories coming!!!