Another geared unicycle...

Through the spokes, or around the wheel?

Gotta love it, GB! Congrats on another great design!
Add another one to the stable of wild geared wheels!!

Can I buy one?
How much?

Hahaha, wow I must have been tied this morning! :slight_smile:

Having never travelled at anything like 17+ mph on a unicycle I don’t really have any idea what I’m talking about, but in theory wouldn’t it be possible to do a jumping dismount? Like a triple jumper you plant one foot on the floor at high speed, and use it to spring into the air. This gives you more time to line up the second foot to land on, spring again, and continue until you’ve reached a safe running speed. You’d probably look stupid, but then you were riding a unicycle a second to two before…

If someone is willing to donate a coker I’d be up for testing out my theory with full scientific data aquisition and a big pillow strapped on my back…

Loose.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Regarding the “low-rider” approach. I considered this, but didn’t go for it on the first version for the reasons Harper and JF listed. I did machine another set of axles, and I hope to tinker with the idea down the road.

I have yet to crash the uni (knock on wood), so I can’t say what that’s like. I’ve had my share of hi-speed 36" crashes, usually ending in sliding in the push up position.

Naomi - Ha, that’s awesome. What’d you use for a distance reference?

No thanks on production, that’s one liability I definitely don’t need.

how about slightly below and in front? (that is: the axle of the pedals not in the axle of the frame)

please do not howl! I think it will change your way of riding but not that much.

bear

Yeah, I had sketches of 45 degrees fore and aft. They both look weird, but 45 degrees back might be reasonable (and you gain some clearance).