Announcing the new Unibokk Sidewinder saddle

Hello everybody, I’ve come up with an idea which I hope will help with the road camber problem. It’s a saddle system that can be tilted sideways. I’ve made a video but I’m unable to upload it here due to my poor computer skills. If you go onto the Google website and type in Unibokk Sidewinder saddle it should come up. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

That’s a very cool idea! I would love to try it to test the results.

Here’s Unibokk’s video:

Hey! Thanks Terry. I hope you might make one up and test it. I also cut a small hole in the saddle base to allow the ‘hex bolt head’ more clearance.
When I tested it on my 36er,I had the KH handle bars attached but without the reinforcement plate.

I will keep everyone posted after further testing.

Thanks for uploading the video onto the forum.

Neat idea with the seat.

Quick releases as you mentioned might be handy, however they might also be a source of leg scratches / entanglement. Just a thought.

Carry on with your invention. :slight_smile:

Yes Harley, you make a good point, I’m thinking now about gluing a chopped down allen key into the clamp screw head, although a quick release clamp on the rear end where the saddle is wider, might suffice.

Thanks for the feedback

A traveling before-and-after video woud be really helpful here.

Yes I agree. I will do some more tests and then give some more detailed feedback. I’m hoping that Terry (MuniAddict) might test the idea and make a video. He has better camera and computer skills than me.

I’m thinking about making a quick release gadget so that can I adjust the saddle while cycling.

Well thought out. It’s an interesting design for sure too.

I personally would find the offset of the saddle to be a problem with making one leg effectively longer than the other. Proper saddle height is a huge issue to me with a couple of mm sometimes making a huge difference. Many people aren’t as sensitive though. I’ve just learned to deal with road camber figuring over the course of the ride it changes enough.

I can see how it may work well for some people.

Hello Unigoat. Proper saddle height is very important for knee comfort etc, but I find that steep road camber causes me to slope across to one side of the saddle so that my butt is not sitting square and I end up sitting lob sided with only one cheek sitting on the wrong side of the saddle. I reckon being seated like that would cause one leg to reach further than the other leg. It leads to bad posture causing stress on one side of my lower back.

On some rides the camber varies so that the rider is not stuck in the same uncomfortable posture for too long. But it can be very uncomfortable on those long roads with a steep camber.

The good thing about the Sidewinder saddle is that it can be set in the neutral position for neutral terrain and need only be adjusted if the camber is causing discomfort.

A number of people on this forum have struggled with road camber so I’m hoping that this idea will help them.

Thanks for your comments.

Hello Unibokk!

I do think the design is very clever and will definitely be something that may help riders enjoy the ride a bit more.

The ingenuity of making it with off-the-shelf parts is admirable. It makes it easier to reproduce, but difficult to make a profit from.

You are definitely erring on the side of generosity with disclosing the details of the design. Thanks for sharing with the community!

I hope further testing is successful.

Cheers!

Have you considered a floating design?

Hello Unigoat, thanks for your encouraging comments. I have a week off from work next week and I’ll do some more testing then.

Hello Alice. An interesting suggestion. Magnetic levitation comes to mind. Alternatively unicycling in outer space might be a cheaper option lol!

Seriously though, I’m not sure what you mean by “floating design” Maybe you could explain what you mean.

Thanks Alice for your input.

One in which the saddle is not locked in position, although applying centering forces seems advisable.

Hello Alice. Yes, I reckon that once the saddle is in position it needs to be locked in position for stability. I mentioned in a previous post, mounting the saddle on a bearing i.e. a ball bearing which would be more versatile but I don’t have the tools to make such a device.

Maybe a forum member with engineering skills and tools could make a bearing mount. MrImpossible comes to mind. MrImpossible, please take note. Roger at Unicycle.com U.K. has great mechanical knowledge, maybe he could design a lockable ball bearing saddle mount.

I believe that there is a possible solution to the average road camber problem, if we seek hard enough to find it. So come on guys n gals let’s find a solution

first i want to say that this is pretty awesome!

also have you thought about something to apply force to keep the seat centered so that it is not locked in place, but you can lean while riding to make it pivot?

Thanks Kennedy. The side winder could probably be adapted to your idea by adjusting the clamp tension slightly. I’ll try this during my next test ride.

If someone were to make the ball bearing saddle mount, the design could include a spring loaded bearing, generating just enough tension on the bearing so that there is no free movement. The only problem here would be that the spring strength would have to match the weight of the rider. And as we know that’s a wide variable so it would have to be tailor made for the rider.