ankle protection

is it the 661 anklebiters that are good for protecting your ankles from your cranks?

I not looking for ankle-rolling protection

you guys like these?

nevermind.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17022&highlight=ankle+AND+biter

[click]

Sofa, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I have long since given away my ankle biters. I think that they are useless. They offer less protection than an additional pair of socks. I finally broke down and got a pair of 661 Dualies. These have worked great for ankle protection. The wear on the ankle part of the shoe reflects the bruises that I would have had. So, save your money and your ankles and don’t bother with the 661 ankle biters.

Re: ankle protection

In article <Sofa.iubom@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Sofa <Sofa.iubom@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)is it the 661 anklebiters that are good for protecting your ankles from
)your cranks?
)
)I not looking for ankle-rolling protection
)
)you guys like these?

Absolutely. My ankles got abused when I first learned, and were continually
re-injured until I started wearing AnkleBiters. No problems recently.
-Tom

I just wear lightweight
hiking boots
The ankle bone is fully protected with padding. But notice how its cut low in back for unimpeded toe-pointing. Also, few sprains from UPDs because of lateral protection. Hiking boot tread grabs pedals.

Works for me. There are dozens of brands. $19 up to $100 or more.

I used the 661 Anklebiters for a while when I first started riding. In the process of beginning to ride I’ve lost one of them… damn.
I’m thinking of just getting a pair of boots or a high top shoe instead.

i use S.W.A.T style boots for muni and the oldest style basketball high tops i can find at a shoe outlet that carries new old stock.my current hi-tops are patent leather Fila’s with the velcro strap on top,super fly and only $20 bucks.

i dont even let my uni see my ankles,ever.thats asking for trouble.

i have some cut up football(uk) shinpads that protect my ankles, they have ankle protecting bits in the remaining part.
they fit nicley with my 661 clone pads.

ankle gaurds

i have some cut up football(uk) shinpads that protect my ankles, they have ankle protecting bits in the remaining part.
they fit nicley with my 661 clone pads.

hey thanks for the idea i just cut up some old soccer pads and saved about 20 to 60 dollars :slight_smile:

Today I went unicycling with my 8 hole Dr. Martens. Today my 8 hole Dr. Martens have a ninth hole. In addition to the additional hole, I also have a bruised ankle.

I was quite surprised to have this much damage occur from one fall.

Daniel

In high school, I had 14 hole DM’s (and a mohawk)

I know I said it once before, so sorry for repeating myself. The Complete Book of Unicycling suggested cutting up a chunk of motorcycle innertube. You start with a cylinder and kind of cut a little out of that to fit you ankle. I haven’t tried it, so I can’t comment. I found a pair of soccor pads that is two piece: one for the ankles, then a shin guard that attaches to that. They were around $15 max US. They are not perfect and my achilies tendon still gets smacked with my seat handle from time to time. I think a boot would be pefect for protection, but sure isn’t great for much else.

sissy,i had 20 eyed Docs and they were the ones with a real leather tongue too,not a crappy vinyl one.

mine were leather.

(this was 12 years ago)

I traded them for 2 ounces of mushrooms

it was about 10 or 12 years ago for me too.i traded mine for a stupid electric guitar,lame deal…i got jakked like this thread did :wink:

Mine has a full leather tongue. I’ve never heard of a doc with a vinyl one.

What was this thread about again?
Ankle protection… Hmmmm… I use soccer shin guards under soccer socks (to protect the back of my leg and to keep the shin guards from snagging any part of the uni.
It seems to work pretty well. The shin guards have ankle protection built into it.

Daniel

I bought ankle biters after drawing blood from my ankles one too many times. Since then I have had no problems and judging from the wear on them they have saved my from drawing blood several times.

Note that they don’t provide any rolling protection. I viscously rolled my ankle yesterday while wearing ankle biters. I’m now on crutches and in a fair amount of pain if anything moves my foot.