Ankle problem - recommendations requested

The three types described here confuse me even a bit more because nothing mentioned there suits to the pain I have in the ankle. In addition to that there are no signs except the intense pain for quite a short time period that I have done anything wrong.

But yeah, yesterday I switched back from the short 137 cranks to the 165s again and I feel much more comfortable that way. Yesterday’s ride was also the first one during the last weeks where I never really hurt my ankle due to the gain in control and therefore not slipping to a bad position on the pedal.

Another vote for Active Ankles!

I rolled both ankles (in 2 separate injuries) and that lead to rolling AND forward/back flexing pain. My doctor was going to send me to physio (one ankle had been bad for about 10 months, the other for a couple days), but I was going to wait 5 months so I’d have insurance. In the meantime I bought/used the Active Ankles, and by the time I would have been insured, my ankles had healed, and a year after that I didn’t even need the braces for uni anymore!

The cool thing with them is that they allow your ankle to roll a little, but stops the roll before the injury point, so if you uni enough with them they actually strengthen the ankle over time.

I’m not sure what dorsiflexion is, but I still recommend them! :wink:

DISCLAIMER I am not nor claim to be a doctor (though I have played them on stage). This is not informed medical advice, and it is not my fault if my advice causes you injury and/or death to your pets. Etc etc.

Thanks for reminding me! I’ve had my ankle braces for a lying around and haven’t used them in a long time, but I wore them today, to not only help support my right ankle while it heals, but also to prevent it from happening again, or at least help to prevent it.

Dorsiflexion is what your foot does when it’s pressed upwards towards the front of your leg–for example, if you’re standing with your toes on the edge of a curb or stair, and lower your heel downwards. This is what happens when you land a drop, especially if the ball of your foot is over the pedal spindle. Active Ankles do nothing to prevent this kind of movement.

Ahhh… I was having a problem with that a bit too before the Active Ankles, but not severely. I guess fixing the roll fixed that too (in my case). :smiley:

Just got back from getting my ankle x-ray. They gave me the film (on disc) and below are three of the four images taken. The lab will send the results to my dr., who will give me the news as to whether it’s broken, fractured, or just a bad sprain. From the looks of the one area I circled in the 3rd pic, I’m betting it’s a fracture. :frowning:

Just got the call from my Dr with the results…

“No signs of fracture, only some residual soft tissue swelling.”

Yay! :D:D:D (Still hurts though!)

I heel from my injuries really slow these days. It must be really slow for you because you’re an old dude.:wink:

good luck and keep playing