And He Gave UNICYCLING A Bad Name, Too

In the Fall, 1997 issue of AMERICAN KITE magazine, there is a letter in the
“Letters” (to the editor) column on page 10 that I had to VENT over. The
anonymous writer (who signed as “Concerned Wind Junkie”) wrote complaining about
an inconsiderate kite flyer he encountered on a beach on the Columbia River
[‘Concerned’ was trying to do a little kite flying himself]. This other kite
flyer was riding a buggy pulled by a kite. [‘Kite Traction’ as this is called
has become popular in the last few years FYI.] Anyway, this other guy was riding
with no safety equipment (helmet, etc.), and was maneuvering both kite and buggy
in a reckless manner. And then this quote from ‘Concerned’:

    "My jaw dropped when he got up on the UNICYCLE and wove along the bike
    path, totally ignoring all oncoming bike traffic."

    'Concerned' went on to say that he packed up and left. In addition, he
    was concerned how much this person's carelessness could reflect on the
    majority of kite flyers and cause them to lose access to the beach he
    was trying to fly on.

    It occured to me how he also reflected on UNICYCLISTS. Any comments?

-CGK

Re: And He Gave UNICYCLING A Bad Name, Too

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Coast Guard Kiteman wrote:

> In the Fall, 1997 issue of AMERICAN KITE magazine, there is a letter in the
> “Letters” (to the editor) column on page 10 that I had to VENT over. The
> anonymous writer (who signed as “Concerned Wind Junkie”) wrote complaining
> about an inconsiderate kite flyer he encountered on a beach on the Columbia
> River [‘Concerned’ was trying to do a little kite flying himself]. This other
> kite flyer was riding a buggy pulled by a kite. [‘Kite Traction’ as this is
> called has become popular in the last few years FYI.] Anyway, this other guy
> was riding with no safety equipment (helmet, etc.), and was maneuvering both
> kite and buggy in a reckless manner. And then this quote from ‘Concerned’:
>
> "My jaw dropped when he got up on the UNICYCLE and wove along the bike
> path, totally ignoring all oncoming bike traffic."

Chances are “concerned” was watching David Brittain, 15-time world stunt-kite
champion, inventor of the sport of indoor kite flying, invited as guest of
honor to over 70 kite festivals in over 30 countries.

Yes, David is a maniac. So if you are really into safety and image then
Mr. Brittain is a very, very bad person and an inappropriate role model for the
young and impressionable. (On the other hand, have you ever seen anyone else
use a kite as the engine for a dune buggy, or put a stunt kite through hell
while on a uni?) Were “concerned” a tad more curious, he might have
introduced himself and expressed his concerns. He would have found David to
be very polite and charming, and embarrassed to his bones that he had caused
anyone discomfort. He just didn’t notice them. Also, he’d just learned
unicycling that summer.

David is the most totally zoned athelete I’ve ever met. PGA golfers who talk
about being “in the zone” have nothing on David. When he concentrates on
flying, nothing else exists. This is not to say that he doesn’t see the people
around him, he just sees them as obstacles rather than social events, and 999
times out of a thousand, deftly misses doing them any harm (though he often
scares the crap out of them).

> ‘Concerned’ went on to say that he packed up and left. In addition, he
> was concerned how much this person’s carelessness could reflect on the
> majority of kite flyers and cause them to lose access to the beach he
> was trying to fly on.
>
> It occured to me how he also reflected on UNICYCLISTS. Any comments?

David’s skills and enthusiams reflect badly – on all the rest of us.

=Eric -------------To reply, remove the anti-uce PLUG, above----------------

Re: And He Gave UNICYCLING A Bad Name, Too

At 21:03 30/09/97 -0700, ejbagai@teleport.PLUG.com wrote:
>
>Chances are “concerned” was watching David Brittain, 15-time world stunt-kite
>champion, inventor of the sport of indoor kite flying, invited as guest of
>honor to over 70 kite festivals in over 30 countries.
<snip>
>David’s skills and enthusiams reflect badly – on all the rest of us.
>
>=Eric

I have to agree with Eric… and would suggest that David would make a
fascinating guest at any unicycle meet or juggling festival. Aside from the
skills Eric mentions he is pretty slick with his Silver Bullet and does a mean
pididdle. :slight_smile:

David was in Wellington at the beginning of the year for the NZ Kite Festival.
He played Uni Hockey, came muni riding with us and came to play at the monday
night juggle. Some of us also had the opportunity to watch him fly. His indoor
flying I found absolutely incredible… (totally mind-numbing the first time)
and when Eric talks about “in the zone” He hits it bang on. The skill David
possess’s is awesome… concentration… precision… and timing

And he took a few of us out to play with his toys. He let us fly his power
kites and to try buggying and uni-kiteing… but he didn’t just let us loose
he gave each one of us individual instruction and we didn’t play until he was
satisfied that we understood how to protect ourselves the equipment and
bystanders. And he did have a helmet and use it himself as well as insist we
do the same.

I guess to some he is loose and scary… but He’s on my list of good guys He
rides a Miyata (huh?) Uni-Kiteing is very difficult (well… with a power
kite it is) I hope he is coming to next years Kite Festival and I hope he
brings his uni!!

Cheers Harold


Harold Jarvie hjarvie@central.co.nz Wellington New Zealand :slight_smile: