An unsuccessful day.

Very tired and feeling a bit lazy. Decided to go out on the 20 and practise some skills.

My last few hours on a uni have been on a lightweight 700c with 102s, a heavyweight 26 inch Muni on Dartmoor, and one quick burst on the Coker with 150s.

So imagine my surprise when I could hardly ride the 20 with its 125s! My, what a funny little thing! I UPD’d twice in the first minute.

I soon remembered how to idle and ride backwards, and idle one footed with my foot on the crown. After a while I was able to idle with one foot unsupported in the air. A sidemount took three attempts and was a bit clumsy. Riding seat out in front put too much strain on my damaged wrist (tendonitis). A couple of attempts at riding one footed went horribly wrong and I squashed my plums twice. :astonished: Then I found I just didn’t care enough to ride it any more.

Considering that my first uni was a 20 with 5 inch cranks (125s) and I used to ride miles on it, off road, and I learned all my basic skill on a 20, I was surprised that it now feels so unsatisfactory after I’ve got used to the bigger wheel.

Obviously, everyone has their own preferences, but I can’t see myself bothering with the 20 again, except when I’m out in my Morris kit.

Re: An unsuccessful day.

Is that cos its the only one that fits in the boot? Or does the Morris not like the larger wheeled varities?

“Errr, whats up doc?”

Loose.

Heh heh:D

I’ve been riding my 20 every Tuesday night at our uni club practice. I love to work on freestyle with it. But the transistion from the 20 to a 24 MUni or the coker is weird.

Tonight I went 10 miles with my wife and daughter (they were riding their bikes) and it was an enjoyable ride. But at the start of my ride, I was wobbly and working out the technique for the big wheel. I haven’t been on it for about 2 weeks and it showed. After 15 or 20 revolutions it all settled in again and I was feeling fine.

Mike, don’t give up on the 20! If you’ve been away from it for a good while, it will feel pretty foreign, but it will come back to you. On the plus side… Somehow I can’t think of your posts on a 20 will be as interesting as your coker write ups.

Bill

Re: An unsuccessful day.

Yeah the exact same thing happened to me! After building my new Coker and riding it nonstop for 2 or 3 weeks and putting many miles on it, I hadn’t touched my trials uni at all. I tried it not too long ago and could barely ride it, let alone do any skinnies. But after a couple minutes of practicing it all came back to me and I was soon riding the skinny side of a 2x4.