Alps Tour Training

Well the Alps Tour has come and gone, and it is really impressive what the riders have accomplished. I haven’t posted in this thread because my own little project kinda derailed, and I didn’t want to detract from the “real” riders’ awesome deeds.

If it’s one thing I’m convinced of, it’s that their ride (and training) are simply awesome deeds.

I started a couple of months early, and yet still could not keep up with their training ramp-up. Finally, in mid-July, I was not only not at trip level, but also developed Achilles tendonitis of some sort, which I am still dealing with. I also developed some hamstring/groin muscle issues that hopefully will teach me a lot about saddles and saddle design. The tendonitis forced me to stop riding, and even a short trip on the bike would cause it to flare up again.

Looking back, my training seems feeble, but while in the middle of it, it was all-consuming, taking lots of planning, sleep, route selection, unicycle gear planning, weather-watching, clothes cleaning, and the like.

I am really glad I did try this, and I haven’t given up on continuing this approach in the future, because I really learned a lot from it. Hopefully by backing off for a while, and starting in again slowly, I will be able to ramp up once again.

Congratulations again to the Alps Tour riders, and please know that I have a huge appreciation for your accomplishment!

Re: Re: June Results

I think Tom said it best

What are you doing about that ankle?

Until I can get health insurance of some sort, the ankle/tendon will have to just hang around and look pretty.

As far as hardcore, I’ve always kinda pushed myself, though I don’t really have an athlete’s body. So doing the training program is not an unusual thing for me, nor is body-breakdownage.

I still have as 3 goals the hiking of the 3 major long-distance N-S US hiking trails (the Appalachian, the Pacific Crest, and the Continental Divide), as well as others. I’ve trained extensively for the Pacific Crest and attempted it twice, both times ending in sickness and/or injury despite lots of prep.

It’d be a sad, woeful tale if the dreams weren’t so big and the attempts so rewarding. :sunglasses: