All about grinds.

Well the “switch-aroo” is what we call the grind where you rotate your cranks while grinding. Haha the cowboy grind…well you would just have to see that one. The kick up is where you drop the uni then kick it back up (saw it in shaun j’s vid). The wraparound grind is just that, grinding while bustin out wraparounds.

Anyways that should clear up some things

Switcharoo sounds logical.

Kick up mount or kick up grind? If you mean kick up grind, it still dosnt make sense to me.

And I’m guessing you mean legwrap grinds. Or a normal wrap would suggest wraping the seat around you… For legwraps the seat dosnt move at all.

Haha how does the kick up grind not make sense? You drop the uni then kick it back up to you. I didn’t really know what to call the wrap thing, I think the way you said it is right. I don’t know a whole lot of names for tricks thats why we make up goofy names for them.

Is the kick up grind a seatdrop grind? Because the name kick up just makes me think of a kick mount.

No. I grind exclusively on the pedals, period.

Except for accidentally missing or jumping over a little to far or whatever, of course.
The only reason I see for grinding on the crank is for tricks like the dropkick grind.

I finally found the video were Loic does a crankflip out of the handrail:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQUCoZezQU&feature=related
2:40

Loics so awesome…

i just started grinding on my uni cus someone left an 8 foot flat rail at the park at the end of my road. I waited and it stayed in the middle of the field for several days so now it lives at my house. I feel bad though because I scratched up my shiny new moments but they are pretty beastly so I think they will be ok. I am not sure how to grind completely on the pedal even though I have done it on accident 1 or 2 times. It is a good feeling to get a good slide though across a rail though.

I believe I’ve also heard that called a lollipop grind.

I may be confusing it with something else, but I think that’s what Shaun called it.

I’ve just got a quick question… When grinding on the crank, does it matter if your pedal is behind the hub? Because I crank grab/grind on my left foot, but I hop right foot forward. I’ve only seen one other rider do this on videos and I’ve watched lots of videos.

I’ve found the main disadvantage is getting onto sloping stuff, especially steep stuff. Also you have a lot more weight on your foot this way, is that a good thing?

I wouldn’t call it a good thing, because later on it makes it harder to do crankflips in and out of grinds :smiley:

Sounds like I have the same stance as you, do you use your right or left hand to hold the seat?

Edit: I wouldn’t call it a bad thing either, If you watch the vid I made with Lucas B its got me doing a few hand rails, one of thems a 15 :smiley:

Its not a disadvantage. I can flip in and out of rails and I grind on my back foot.

KH.

I mount with my left foot on first, I ride one pedal with my right foot, I idle with my left foot down, I hop with my right foot forward, I hold the seat with my right hand, and I jump to the left. I think I do everything the most common way apart from hopping right foot forward.

I need to find/make something I can grind easily cause I can’t really practise at the moment.

Lol you have the exact same style as me.

Just find something wooden, like a bench or something, wax it up and put it on some stairs. Or just wax up something sloped. Or… just wax something up and hit it with speed. Wax is great.

And yes Kelly we are aware of your fliping in and outness. But you must agree, depending on your feet it is easier to flip out of grinds one way compared to the other.

no

Thats how I learnt. I tried low rails at my skate park but always landed on my ass because I didnt lean enough. Wood slides nice and slow and is less intimidating.

I can’t seem to slide more than 50cm on wood. It had some wax. The angle was maybe 30 degrees, any steeper and it would of been difficult for me to hop onto. I might make some sort of grinding thing some time as a little project. I still find it hard to balance so I guess I just need to practise.

sorry to ask a total noob question, but I’ve just started switching from MUni/ freestyle to street, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on going from pedal/crank grabs to grinds.

Just ride fast into whatever your going to grind, jump into it, not ONTO it.

Don’t break momentum and umm yeah.

Or you ca just build up the guts to simpely jump onto something sloped and go with the flow.

thanks. our snow is finally melting so I can get back out on the uni.