Alaska 2008: The Dalton Highway Write-Up (Long)

excellent write up, was it what you expected?

Yes, I have read “Into the Wild” a few times. In fact the only book I brought was “Into Thin Air” and I read it a few times through the journey.

I would definitely make this trek again. It’s is incredibly beautiful country up there. As far as doing things differently, there are a few changes I would make. For one, a larger tire. The road conditions may be to crappy for a balder 36, but a knobby 29 would be perfect. I would also move slower and take me time to really enjoy the scenery. After a day in Fairbanks, I really wanted to head back out for a few more days. I would also consider doing it even earlier in the season as dumb as it sounds. With the right gear, the cold could be actualy more enjoyable.

I think even an endurance race on the Haul Road would be bad ass…just a thought though. But seriously, if enough riders are interested…

When you say Deadwood, I think you mean Deadhorse. The cyclist I met there flew in and were riding SOuth down the Pan American Highway.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

There are no words I could write that would convey just how much I was astonished by this lunatic crazy expedition. I am privileged to be able to read it.

Nao

Thanks for all of the awesomely kind words about the write up. I had no idea that what I did would be this big.

I read every word of what you wrote. It will need some editing before it gets published in Reader’s Digest. :roll_eyes:

It has been several days since I read your story and I have been thinking about it. It seems to me you were very unprepared for what you did. Is it worth risking your life for a unicycle ride in the snow? Then you abused yourself along the way with excessive alcohol and marijuana use. We could just as well have been reading about you being found dead along the highway.

I am glad you survived your epic ride. If you had not, none of us would have been able to read that incredible write-up. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Having partied a little in my younger days, I can relate to all the freebies you had along the way. I can’t relate to riding in that kind of cold, hallucinating from exhaustion, pissing blood, riding 56 hours straight, or needing to use bear repellent on a charging grizzly. Traveling solo always makes for a more interesting journey, because it forces you to meet people. Congratulations on surviving, I hope you can get some excellent mileage out of this crazy adventure.

If by unprepared you mean taking bear spray, a satellite emergency beacon, enough camping gear that you can camp in bad weather in Alaska(!), then it sounds like he was unprepared. But really, reading the report and the stuff he posted earlier, it sounds like he had a pretty good idea of what he was taking on, and prepared really well. Something this far out is always going to be a bit of a risk, like mountaineering in big mountains or in winter conditions, unsupported endurance racing, white water paddling etc. Pretty much anyone who’s done any kind of adventure sport has had a situation where if they screwed up things could have gone bad. It’s always worth keeping an eye on what risks you are taking obviously and preparing by having the right skills and gear, but there always is going to be a risk.

It is a bummer, because it means that people we know might die, but it’s all about striking a balance between being dead of a boring sedentary lifestyle and heart attacks, and taking yourself out by doing something stupidly hard whilst climbing a mountain - and it’s up to everyone how they balance it out.

As for his choice of recreational drug use - I think that’s pretty personal really, some people smoke gear, some people drink a lot - it doesn’t sound like it made a massive difference to his trip in terms of affecting his fitness or ability to ride. It’s also worth remembering that when doing something like this, the goodwill of the people you meet is really helpful, and increases the safety net of people who potentially are out there to help in the case of things going tits up. Like it or not, alcohol is a major aspect of social life in most western communities, particularly more remote ones - so in a way the drink and the drugs may have actually made him safer than going into his tent early and being a party pooper.

Joe

I think he was pretty prepared, I mean what else could have he brought with him that would have helped him? His pack was already super heavy!! You can’t really train much for Phase III blizzard conditions…

Also, after riding 56 hours or something like that, plus hundreds of miles, I think a beer and/or a smoke is well deserved! He probably would have went crazy if he didn’t have something to relax him after those long, cold, grueling rides. He may have overdone it a bit but that’s what happens sometimes when you meet new cool people that are buying you drinks! Plus it just adds more to the story instead of, “After riding X miles, then I went to bed”. :slight_smile:

I whole-heartedly concur. I would probably not drink quite so much, but I don’t feel the smoke was in any immediate way endangering captainwelch. (except the possible long-term smoking issues)

Man, I’ve done a lot of distance on one wheel, and lots of it in the winter, but I doubt I’d give that a try. You’re a nutcase for sure, but it sounds like an awesome time.

Whatever doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, right? Unless you lose a few toes to frostbite or something…

This is my favorite line in the entire write-up. Tom Blackwood just told me about this thread last night. I’m glad he did. You’re a talented rider and writer. Thanks for bringing me along on your epic journey. I was somewhat surprised at the lack of good crank in Alaska but the whiskey and pot always suffice in a pinch.

Unfortunate news

It appears Mike’s next adventure left him a little worse for the wear:

http://www.survivingparalysis.com/post_detail.php?PostID=2049

If you read this Mike, I hope it finds you well. Good luck with your recovery.

Mike-
if you read this know I’m sending you positive vibes. Your courageous spirit will get you through this. Keep us posted if you can. Peace.

God speed mike, I hope everything works out.

Oh no! This is supremely unfortunate. The gist of that link is that Mike was in a biking accident in Matsumoto Japan and appears to have a T5 incomplete / T6 complete spinal cord injury (mid-chest and down paralysis).

I have a friend who became a C5 quad in a skiing accident last year, and it obviously presented a massive lifestyle change - but nothing is insurmountable. The replies to that post are correct - Craig Hospital in Englewood CO is the best of the best. It’s a huge new challenge, but I’m sure you’ll master it, Mike. Looks like you found the right people. We’re all pulling for you too!

That is not what I wanted to read when I saw this thread at the top again - sorry to hear about your injury, best of luck with your rehabilitation. I guess you needed a bigger challenge than the Dalton Highway. This will deserve an even longer write-up! Good luck with everything!

Awesome story, such a terrible thing to happen to someone so young and vibrant.

If anyone can take the time, the link to the paralysis site:
http://www.survivingparalysis.com/post_detail.php?PostID=2049

has some more discussion with Mike as he deals with his injury.

I worked with disabled skiers at Alpine Meadows Ski Resort back in the mid 1980’s, it takes all kinds, never discount the human potential, he has a high level of function remaining so he should do well in his rehab.

Good luck Mike, heal good and strong!

This is awful news and our thoughts are with Mike.
I’m not particularly knowledgeable on this kind of thing, but is the injury permanent or is there a chance of recovery?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_cord_injury:

The article also has a helplful diagram to complement the text. I should note that at the time of this post the above text has no direct citations in the article, but I did find some of the statements corroborated here: Spinal Cord Injuries: Practice Essentials, Background, Anatomy.

This is the saddest thing I’ve heard this year…

Mike, I am so sorry to hear this news. Reading through the threads on the survivingparalysis website, there were two things I realized: 1) you have an amazing attitude to just PUSH–that’s what got you through the Haul Road, and that’s what will get you through this–and 2) you have a new community now, and one that is already engaged and supportive in a big way.

No matter what happens, you now have two communities that really care about you. Keep PUSHING.

Tom