Airseat Pics in Gallery

I got a Miyata saddle on my new Bedford Muni, thinking it would be a huge improvement over my old Savage saddle. Honestly I can’t say it was that much better, but with an airseat conversion it’s more like what I was hoping for.

I took some pics while I did it and put them here.

Getting the old hardware off was a battle. I had 3 spinning bolts, one on each bumper and one on the seatpost, so I had 3 tries at the dremel trick; by the 3rd one it was getting pretty easy. The trick is to have a screwdriver narrow enough to go through the nut so you can drive the bolt all the way through.

The finished product looks about the same, but it’s ooooh so much nicer to ride. I do notice a bit of bouncing when I’m pedaling fast, but that can only smooth out my pedal stroke!

Credit is due to Yoopers and Harper for providing excellent instructions and pictures - thanks!!

After lifting the process and the handle bolt idea from Bruce and the broached plate idea from Greg all I can add is the stainless strapping supporting the handle bolts and the cutout in the seat pad. We’ll see how these work out.

It was a bit more trouble than I thought, but the end product is pretty comfy. Life is good. Anybody who thinks a little more cush for the tush is in order is recommended to check out these pics and those above.

Tim

miyata 7 hardware on saddle.jpg

Cool pics Tim, can’t wait to try it out when we go for a ride!

J

Thanks for the instructions and pics. I was thinking about trying this method for an airseat conversion. How comfortable is it compared to an airseat using a roach or gemset cover?

Daniel

Thanks, Jason. Saturday at Jack Pine?

Daniel, I haven’t ridden the bigger covers - that’ll come next after the Miyata cover dies. I’d guess that they’d give considerably more comfort, since you’d have more “travel”.

There should be lots of people who’ve ridden both… any comments?

Tim

Yeah, weather’s lookin’ good. I was thinking sometime in the morning (10ish?) but my schedule is pretty flexible.

I’ll send and e-mail around tonight.

J

The other question I forgot to ask was, what’s the best way to repair tears in the seat? I was thinking some sort of patch on the inside of the cover would be the best. Would some sort of tape be good?

I have two tears in my seat. The first is about half an inch and is located on the rear above the bumper. The other is slightly longer and on the bottom edge. I’ll post pics later.

Thanks,
Daniel

I actually find the normal miyata covers no less comfortagble than the roach style covers, unless it’s a layer of foam and a layer of air on the roach style.

I just repaired a 2-inch tear in my seat cover by sewing it up. I would caution you, if you choose to do the same, that the material tears rather easily, so you can’t pull the stiches too tight. I only did it a few days ago, so I can’t comment on durability, but it appears to be quite strong when I pull/poke/prod it.

Later,
Eli.

I repaired a tear in a Miyata cover by using super glue to bond a piece of fabric to the back side of the material. If you are careful it will close up perfectly and be almost invisible, and is very strong. I did it by putting the glue on one surface and spraying the other with accelerator (available at hobby shops), then pressing them together using a piece of plastic film over it to keep from gluing my fingers. I think it would work fine without the accelerator if you hold pressure on it while it cures. I used fiberglass cloth but just about anything should work.

Scott