ahhhh no more peddle for me

my peddle just fell of ripped the thred out of the peddle and the crank so its f’ed im gonna have to get a new crank and a new peddle taht sucks :frowning:

When you get your new pedals and cranks, be really careful when you install them. I know from experience that it is extremely easy to crossthread a pedal even with just a little pressure. Once you get them installed (finger tight) tighten them firmly with a wrench and be sure they stay tight. It is easy to strip the threads when the pedal gets loose.

chears mate ill be sure to do that

Don’t forget to also make sure they’re both on the proper side. The pedal on your right, as you sit on the uni, should have normal threads. The left pedal has reverse threads, which means it turns anti-clockwise to tighten. There’s a good chance your pedals were on the wrong sides, causing the threads to be stripped.

If it’s a splined crank (ie expensive) you can have a helicoil (new threads) put in for 20-30 dollars at a Local Bike Store.

Amen to that.

Cathy

Since John Childs hasn’t chimed in here, I’ll relay some advice I learned from him…

If it has threads or splines, grease it before you assemble it!

Even better, use a little anti-sieze (ex. copper paste variety) on the pedal threads, then start threading the pedal into the crank with your fingers. Using your fingers ensures you won’t cross-thread the pedal, and the anti-sieze helps you tighten the pedal to your full tightening ability. It also ensures you’ll be able to get the pedal off when you want to, keeping rust out of the pedal / crank interface.

To maintain your pedals, remove them from the cranks (at least once yearly), clean the threads and re-grease them. Over time the grease becomes contaminated and it’s a good idea to keep things greasy :slight_smile:

I agree that it is good to periodically re-tighten the pedals, as with any threaded part on your unicycle… especially if you bang it around a lot, those parts will become loose, and loose things wear away quickly!

Except for me. I managed to cross thread a pedal by tightening it with just my fingers and I was trying to be careful. :frowning:

Ohh, I’ve SO done that…

:astonished: Remind me that I not to get into a strong grip contest with you guys.

Seriously, I find it helps if you rotate to unscrew (wilth very, very light pressure) until you feel the end of the threads move in a little and then rotate to engage the threads. That way the threads are aligned before you start screwing them together. This technique makes it possible to not strip plastic holes with metal screws.:smiley: :sunglasses:

Of course, as with everything, it takes a little practice to get it right - try using a coarse threaded nut an bolt at first.

I did the exact same thing with my uni,
Altho i ripped the pedals off my mountain bike, slowly put them in, and made sure they were tight and then was able to ride again no worries.
All you may need is some new pedals, a wrench, and some patients to clean the thread out.
To do this just tighten 3/4 a revolution, then back a 1/2…
Just do this till it’s all the way in.
I freaked out the same as you did.
But all should be fun, hopefully :smiley:
Good Luck!

<RANT>
please note that many many readers on this forum are not native speakers; how could we guess you were talking about pedals? :astonished:
so a general message: though people may use strange language using their phone messaging system, they should try to use proper english when posting here!
(correct english is already difficult to us, but pidginese is beyond our reach)
</RANT>
thanks!

<UN-RANT>
Tee, hee ! Loved your Rant, and I do have a modicum of sympathy.

Although mis-spelled as “peddle”, the phonetic pronunciation would be identical to “pedal” and couldn’t really be mistaken for anything else, certainly not malicious obfuscation.

The use or misuse of proper English language spelling, punctuation and grammatical construction has been discussed before on this forum. Long but well written posts, that may not necessarily say anything of any importance, are usually a joy to read - I cite many of Mikefule’s contributions as particularly praiseworthy in this respect - but very short posts with no capitalisation or punctuation, in txt spk, are at least very tedious on the eye, and at most open to misinterpretation by native English speakers, let alone our one-wheeled friends around the globe. I apologise for the length of that last sentence :wink:

However, time marches on and language evolves; we can but do what is within our whit to limit the ravages visited upon our tongue by the digital-interloper - lol ! cu l8r brb - fk ths :smiley:
</UN-RANT>

Oh yes, the subject:

In my experience, pedals don’t come loose enough to fall off unless, as John Foss said, they are mounted on the wrong sides. I guess riding backwards a lot could have the same effect, unless you reverse the unicycle before you mount. However, I would expect to feel extra give and wobbliness in the pedal long before it got to the point where it could strip the thread and part company with the crank. If anything on your unicycle / bicycle / car etc. makes unexpected clunking, grinding or general graunching noises, sort it out before real damage is done - it is invariably cheaper in the long-run. I only wish I practised what I preach.

Chris

the nice people at unicycle.com are sending me some new cranks :smiley: im gonn have to buy some more stuff from them maby some leg protectors or somthing :smiley:

Overly strong grip is certainly not the case with me. I just managed to start the threading wrong and before I new it I was applying a little pressure and the damage was done.

However, there was a happy ending to my screwup. Tommy T. had a threaded tap which he screwed through the crank from the back side. This straightend the threads enough to get the pedal on and make everything useable again. I hope I don’t ever have to take that pedal off.

I had a pedal strip the threads out of a crank once. I glued it back with two-ton epoxy until I could get a new crank. It lasted for weeks like that, to my amazement.

on my trainging unicycle i got my dad to weld the peddle on to the crank ahaha it didnt fall off after that

I too admit to improperly installing my cranks/pedals (I was excited :roll_eyes: !), but I e-mailed the Torker company, explained that the pedals had falled out after only a few days of use, and received a new set of cranks/pedals within two weeks.

They slipped a little handwritten note that explained the importance of proper crank/pedal installation, and even apologized for time that I waited as the new cranks/pedals were in transit to my house.

I suggest you try to get a replacement set, even if it means (falsely?) admitting your ignorance.

oh they are sendinbg me some more cranks the peddles are still good to use

good deal