advise on cycling shorts/tights

> They don’t work. They bunch up where they should not bunch up.
> They don’t stretch like the Lycra/Spandex cycling shorts. The only
> thing they are good for is making you part with your money. Totally
> ineffective for their intended purpose.

Another option is regular cycling shorts under regular street clothes. If
you don’t like the spandex you can put up with whatever seams are in the
crotch of your street clothes.

Or do what I do these days, which is buy the mountain bike-type shorts,
which have the padded spandex inner layer and a “normal” outer layer. With
pockets!

JF

Boie30,
Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on using the search tool before starting a new thread. Many newbies neglect to perform a search, to see if their question has been asked and answered, before posting their question. You have obviously done your research. One tip though, at the top left of every entry is the date of that entry. You dug deep. The most recent prior entry in this thread was almost exactly 9 years ago! The information in this thread might be a tiny bit out of date. No worries, this happens to the best of us.:o
Because you’re curious, in my opinion Pearl Izumi makes the best cycling pants, both long and short.

On another note, it’s cool to see some familiar names in the list of posters.

Geoff

I wear Sugoi Tri shorts, these have a thin chamois liner in a six panel lycra short, they fit well under pants or hiking shorts. A thinner liner keeps the bulk down.

For a single piece MTB short, try Hoss with an integrated liner.

Try on a pair of bib shorts

My Louis Garneau bib shorts feel like riding totally naked because there is no waist line to bunch up so the sweat just rolls right off. I wanted the Pearl Izumi’s (cheaper) but my LBS did not carry them. Go in and try them on. Don’t order online. I went in for a large but I am glad I got a medium. Add some Butt’r and say goodbye to saddle soreness.

I always wear shinguards, so I’m always wearing shorts, if I’m just gonna be riding for a short amount of time, I just wear normal shorts. But if I’m going muni or I know that I’m going to be riding a lot I wear shamy bike shorts.

I’ve tried shorts of many varieties but never found one that didn’t feel like I had to “manage” them. The problem is usually that the crotch fabric hangs too low and interferes with the seat, wearing a belt to keep them up makes it difficult to bend over during jumps and drops.

For muni it isn’t as much of an issue but for freestyle it drives me crazy. Now I wear lycra/spandex cycling shorts most of the time, with baseball sliding pants underneath. The sliding pants add a small amount of padding to the hip area where I tend to land during falls.

For performances (freestyle) I wear black full-length baseball pants. They stretch yet are snug around the ankles and fairly snug in the crotch. Plus they look almost like slacks, nobody in the audience can tell the difference if you wear black sox underneath.

I guess they don’t make the type of shorts I wear anymore, but I have not had any of those issues. They’re an old pair of fox mtb shorts, with a drawstring waist, shamy crotch, and theigh warmers with a band that sticks to leg warmers.