Advice for 1st long distance ride?

I wore two pairs of cycle shorts (the padded ones) as well as a pair of Roach shorts on top. The double padding made a huge difference. I also used Chamois Butter (or whatever it’s called) to reduce chafing. I would strongly recommend that for your ride.

Certainly if the terrain isn’t too hilly, I’d advocate short cranks. UPDs are a hazard, so be careful, since your reaction time is less than if you were using a Coker. Try to avoid riding when it’s dark (assuming the ride organizers would let you in the first place) and if you catch your mind wandering, take a break. You don’t want to distract yourself into a bad UPD.

wow, i had not thought about this, what a great idea.

were there any downsides to this setup, or was it all good?

i forgot to mention in my post that i also use lubricant, it’s called Vaseline Creamy, it looks like Nivea coldcream, not ‘vaseline’ it helps alot against the chaffing (your sweaty inner thighs rubbing against the seat 25,000 times starts to get painful, and once it starts getting painful, it doesn’t really get better.

another thing I remembered what I do, is have two alternate seating positions, one is normal, and the other is sitting further back on the seat to have a different section of my sitting area being sat on. The second position is not as controlable, and seems to take more energy, but it allows yoiu to kind of take a break and still keep riding. I alternate before I need to for sections, as if you wait until you have to shift around, it already sucks

Originally Posted by David_Stone
I wore two pairs of cycle shorts

None. You’d think maybe there’d be some extra chafing or other problem (like overheating? I did this on a fairly warm day), but I didn’t notice anything other than MUCH INCREASED comfort. I’d actually brought along pair #2 just in case, and by mile 30 or so, I decided to try it out. I’m so glad I did!

Certainly good riders have to do this on long rides. I’m lucky enough to have a great extension for my uni, and that makes shifting seat-position much easier.

What are you refering to…a rail adapter or something else?

here is the best advice you will get make sure you have some way of contacting taxi/ambulance/police car, smoke signals will not do
and if possible bring a friend

:smiley: Doesn’t it make you feel like you’re wearing nappies with that much padding?

I suppose it saves you from having to stop to pee, but I find it a useful excuse to get off the unicycle every now and then for a break.

Earlier, I wrote: “I’m lucky enough to have a great extension for my uni…”

It’s a thingy made by Paul Wyganofsky (sp?) that attaches to the seat post and comes out in front (with a small ‘handle’) and in the back (which serves as a bottle-holder and uni protector for UPDs). Some people have used them on long tours to hold a small bag. You can see mine when you visit my blog (see my signature) – I put a photo there of my guni.

Earlier, I also wrote: “I wore two pairs of cycle shorts (the padded ones) as well as a pair of Roach shorts on top. The double padding made a huge difference.”

During my longest rides, I’ve had some bad chafing, but the worst experience is the painful urination thing that happens after riding about 5 hours with minimal breaks. To my amazement, I had none of this pain following my 90-mile, 11-hour ride. I attribute this equally to the double cycle-shorts thing as well as the KH seat that I was using. It’s the hard foam one, and I thought it would be murder, especially compared to the cushy air seat on my Coker, but it was great. As to the nappies, it not only didn’t feel different (because let’s face it, that padding is pretty thin), but it also didn’t look different. There must be a point of no-return, tho – like after pair #5. That’s when you’d start to look like Super Diaper Baby.