Adventures in Freewheeling

I can see why this would be appealing. It’s like being a beginner again, but you have the benefit of all your riding experience.

That’s it. While you have a lot more to (re-)learn, your background helps you to learn faster.
I think the biggest point in my learning process is that I already know my brake and how to use it (= brake coasting on a regular uni). I think that anybody that can brake coast should be able to have some fun really quickly on a freewheel.

I agree that being used to some non-directness is useful. Be that from a Schlumpf, or a sloppy chain drive (giraffe/huni-rex). Freewheels don’t respond in the same perfect manner that we’re used to with fixed wheels.
This is however something that the Qu-Ax sprag clutch should fix. I think instant engagement will be a bit of a game changer.

1 Like

I don’t know much about this new freewheel hub and how it works. Is there any reference about it somewhere? I can’t remind having read something about it on Qu-ax website.

There’s not any single post with official specs or anything yet. Qu-Ax on Facebook have teased bits occasionally, and a small number of people have seen it in person.

The only info we really have is that it’s a sprag clutch, Q-Axle, standard 42mm bearings, and a standard 6 bolt disk.

We’ll have to wait for release to get full specs.

The current freewheel hubs that we’re using have pawls and a ratchet ring with 18 points of engagement on the Nimbus hub and 24 on the JR P-hub.
The Qu-Ax freewheel hub instead uses a sprag clutch (or possibly more than one to increase the max torque rating). These sprags are constantly riding next to the input and output side of the clutch, and engage (lock into place) almost instantaneously when you apply driving force.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. As I’m not a mechanical engineer and I don’t do a lot of mechanics myself I had never seen these mechanisms before. While the combination pawls + ratchet ring is easy to imagine, it’s much harder for the sprag clutch. The video is very helpful!

Maybe @Becky98 could tell us more on how the new hub behaves since she is one of the test riders and has been abusing this hub for a few months now.

1 Like

Seems like there are problems with the newest prototype, adding some extra challenges! Let’s hope it will be resolved soon.

2 Likes

So I have ridden about 1200 km on the first prototype this year and it’s just amazing and it’s running like on it’s first day. (Don’t know what’s going on with second protype, but Florian who tested it, also tested the first prototype and he also didn’t managed to break it). As already said it has instant engagement and the hub doesn’t make a sound. For me this hub sparked a Freewheel revolution since I love uphill riding and the Nimbus hub wasn’t build for it, so I avoided uphills and longer distances and in the 2 years I had the Nimbus hub I only rode about 330 km in total. Nowadays when I have to choose between Muni and Freewheel I mostly take the Freewheel, since I don’t have to worry about breaking the hub while riding uphill and can savely ride also longer distances 30 km +. Here is a video from the hub in action a while back:

8 Likes

It looks like a heap of fun but I am sure it’s also really hard… well done!

Forgive my ignorance but I’m new to the unicycle world but with the freewheel are you using the brake to control the balance when free wheeling or can it be done with just balance?

It’s usually achieved using the break. Some can just keep their balance without breaking but it’s way harder.

Wow you are so stable on your freewheel. Last year or start of this year there was this tutorial video of that one guy who was very good on his free wheel, but he twisted back and forth while rolling to keep his balance. Could also have been because he didn’t use a break.
When you ride downhill, do you hold the brake continuously? It takes some fine pressure to hold your balance like that, but maybe even more when going up hill. As long as there is resistance from the wheel, you can keep pedalling, but as soon as that falls away, you need to brake or in my case I would rotate backwards and end up on my bum. Maybe I should give mine another try.
Would you say you make a greater distance on a freewheel than on a normal uni, because you can just stop pedalling?

You probably have seen @AJ_KJ. He mostly rides brakless.
I don’t. I can coast but my area is way to hilly for brakeless riding so I end up loosing control even as soon as it goes slightly downhill. When I am riding downhill I constantly brake. When Uphill riding I often don’t hold on to the brake, only when it’s getting bumpy.
Little missunderstanding there, I don’t ride longer distances on my Freewheel than on my Muni, but 30 km + is also on the level of longer munirides. Although my brain got pretty used to Freewheeling it still takes in total mostly more energy.

You should definitely give your Freewheel another go!

1 Like

I am so impressed with how stable your riding is.
I haven’t learned to coast, so this looks hard bordering on impossible to me.

1 Like

Went for a ride this weekend. Despite falling flat on my back before I even started, I completed 11miles on my freewheel. Backpack broke my fall and water bladder burst soaking my gear. Lesson learned: Don’t miss the brake handle.

Dead water bladder with burst bubble. Better it than me.

Did my usual ~3 mile loop today and it was much easier than when I started. Progress!

4 Likes

Regrettably I am still reliant on the brake and use it far more than I want to. I can only consistently ride without it on uphill inclines. I’ve sat in front of a wall and practiced backpedaling. Dismounting off the front while using the break I’m comfortable with. Anyone have advice on what else I can do to improve coasting without using the brake?

I feel like most efforts fall into 3 categories:

1. Shift weight behing wheel or lean back requiring the brake to upright myself.
  2. Start to fall forward, pedal to avoid front UPD, end up with wheel in front leading to 1.
  3. Intend to stop pedalling yet my feet refuse.

When 3 occurs it feels like my body knows I’m not in a good balance point and forces me to keep pedaling.

Category 2 is frustrating because I do coast a little to a moderate distance then “over pedal” when I correct to end up overcompensating.

Category 1 is what it is. It ranges from a light braking to heavy depending on how far back I find myself. Very comfortable with this and bring myself on top of the uni.

Should I keep my weight on the seat? It’s what I’ve been doing so far. Tried many times to stand up while riding. I very quickly nope back down onto the seat as it feels really uncomfortable, like hours too long at your inlaws Christmas uncomfortable, when I use the brake while standing.

I’m in this for the long haul and take inspiration from other freewheel rides. I aspire to ride as clean as you do.

2 Likes

My first question: what’s your technical level on a classic unicycle? Are you comfortable using the brake?

I started freewheeling with a relatively low technical level. No mastery of coast, glide or wheel walk.

Yesterday, there was a 20+ years guy in the club (who’s been riding for over 10 years) who mastered the coast on a regular unicycle. Yesterday was his 2nd try on a 24" freewheel. He coasted across the basketball court. And he says: “Ah, it’s easier than coasting on a regular unicycle”. I was really happy because in the 8 years we’ve had this freewheel unicycle at the club, no one else has ever practiced freewheeling. Even if it took him less than an hour of practice, which took me 6 months or 1 year of regular practice.

We don’t all start from that level when we start freewheeling. What helped me was mastering the brake. Which is a lot easier than mastering the coast.

Given your difficulties, you need to start slowly. To force yourself to stop pedaling, I’d advise you to try tricks with the brake on level ground. You pick up speed, brake when you stop pedaling, pedal and repeat. I made a video about tricks with the brake:

I spent the first few years of learning to freewheel mainly doing tricks with the brake, then a bit of coasting with the pedals in a vertical position. I couldn’t put the same pressure on both pedals to keep them horizontal.

2 Likes

For fixed axle I am comfortable using the brake. I can use it to reduce speed without worry. I cannot coast, glide or wheel walk on a fixed axle. I can one foot ride with either foot which I practiced extensively in preparation for my freewheel.

Now that I have experience with freewheeling I watched your video again. When you were coasting I saw you mostly standing above the saddle to help with balance. That answers my question of whether to sit or stand. Tons of twitchy movements confirms what I was doing also while trying this. I’m on the right track. I will continue practicing this until I’m comfortable with it.

1 Like

Yes, it’s easier to feel the pressure of your feet on the pedals when you stand up over the saddle. Corrective movements with the pelvis can also feel freer.

For the brake, can you stop quickly with it? In my opinion, it’s the braking technique that’s most important. When you know how to brake hard, you’re able to make a big correction to your balance, and you’re also able to make smaller corrections.

1 Like