Advantage for 20" street

I have seen some people ride a real 20" for street. i realize there are tons more rims and tires to choose from and you can ride at a higher pressure.

But other than this what are the advantages to riding a real 20" for street?

Ramps are probably easier as you can use BMX tires, so park street would definetly be better.

Probably much lighter than using a 19" rim and a trials tire, as well.

but will it handle the use/abuse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcoWr2Fb-Tk

^^easily

Nothing against the BMX riders, their skill level is atmospheric. But they have two wheels to land on (most of the time) which means the “abuse” on the tire is only half that of unicycles. I’ve never seen a uni rider do a drop from even a 5-set with a standard 20" wheel. I’m curious what others have to say on the subject.

if you watch a 20inch biker jump a huge set youll notice hes going super fast. This helps even out the impact of the landing and then you have two wheels to land on.

I think on small street with sets under a 5 and if you are smooth and use to high PSI then a 20inch wheel would prolly be great. For me i really like how cushiony a trials tire is and it really helps soak up big drops for me.

yeah thats why i was asking.

i was thinking something like a nimbus 48 hole hub and a 48 hole alex dx32 20" rim with a primo the wall tire around 80psi… hard pressure, high spoke count, fairly strong rim?

I know people like AgentQ (Sam) and Evan Byrne have had 20" street unis so I’m interested to see what they say if they post here…

you wont have much weight savings i think with a set up like that

I have a BC wheel with that tire on it and i run around 90psi and you can feel every bump and little rock you hit with it

That setup sounds brutal. There are huge differences between bmx and unicycling and every one I can think of makes 20" good for bmx but not for unicycles.

The saved weight is really significant if you have the right parts (kevlar bead tire and a light 36h rim). So because of that the setup could be good for tech tricks, but if you’re doing drops a hard skinny tire isn’t very comfortable. It’s also easier to be sketchy with a trials tire, it’s more forgiving.
I think it makes sense to ride a 20" for flat and 19" for street.

The saved weight is really significant if you have the right parts (kevlar bead tire and a light 36h rim). So because of that the setup could be good for tech tricks, but if you’re doing drops a hard skinny tire isn’t very comfortable. It’s also easier to be sketchy with a trials tire, it’s more forgiving.
I think it makes sense to ride a 20" for flat and 19" for street.

I recently got myself a 20" wheelset. From what I’ve ridden with it so far ( not very much ), its much lighter than my trials wheelset, and my rolling hop seemed to have improved using it, so I think a bmx rim can be great for street, if you don’t ride too hard.

On the other hand, the tire is much skinnier, and I don’t think doing big sets and big drops on it are a good idea.

I think if you are smooth and roll out of drops and jumps, your rim should be fine.

i definatley don’t go that big. and i roll out of almost everything so i think it could work

Also, a 20" wheel is inherently pretty strong due to it’s small size.

Compared to, for example 24"/26" wheels. So, any kind of drop do-able on a 24"/26" muni wheel, should be OK on a 20" wheel, purely cos it’s smaller and therefore stronger?

Also, a 20" wheel is inherently pretty strong due to it’s small size.

Compared to, for example 24"/26" wheels. So, any kind of drop do-able on a 24"/26" muni wheel, should be OK on a 20" wheel, purely cos it’s smaller and therefore stronger?

I’ve recently built a 20" uni wheel and its great, i used a demolition zero rim and just regular 14g bmx spokes, I’ve now got a Maxxis grifter on it and run around 50psi for flatland.

Previously i ran it a bit softer and with a heavier mongoose tyre, i did a bit of street with it like that and it takes the punishment quite well. you just need to keep the spokes tight and true it more often then the wider set trials rims.

Now i use that wheel purely for flatland and a trials wheel for street just because i like the spring and cushioning you get out of the tyre more and its easier to balance on skinny things with a wider lower pressure tyre.

:slight_smile: