Aaaagh - broken flange on my Schlumpf

Not quite true. My wheel was built with the spoke heads in the flanges the correct way round (the bend of the spoke on the chamfered side of the spoke hole) and it still broke. I think the problem is that there simply isn’t enough material there to allow high tension. This problem has been addressed in the newer version of the hub.

I should give an update on the fix to this - completed this a while ago, but hadn’t got around to taking decent pics.

I sourced a tandem length spoke from who else but UDC - got them to cut it to a generous length and put 20mm of thread on each end so I had a little wiggle room. I then formed a double bend in the middle (not exactly in the middle as one portion of the spoke needed to be longer than the other) using a spare bicycle hub as a former. Was actually pleasantly surprised how well that turned out - did a good job with my first attempt, having ordered 3 long spokes on the assumption it might take several attempts (though I had practiced on some old scrap spokes first).

Here’s the finished spoke:

a closeup of the double bend:

and here it is in the wheel:

you can’t see it? well maybe we need to go closer:

or maybe closer still?

Quite pleased with the way it’s not at all obvious unless you know what you’re looking for.

Great job

Wow. What a great job. Well done.

Hey aracer,
Neat job !:slight_smile: Hubbs is very impressed as well :slight_smile:

nobody seems to have noticed yet, but clearly when I said tandem length spoke I meant penny farthing length spoke :o

Really nice thought and processed solution.

Best regards,
Samme

To be fair it wasn’t my idea - first suggested by Ben from Kinetics
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wheelbuilders-bodgers-help-broken-flange#post-4868054 (I don’t think he’s on here, but he also has a Schlumpf uni).

Ha! aracer :roll_eyes:

I did miss that, too busy looking at the pics. :wink:

Thats a awesome fix!

Great fix!

how did you think to come up with the idea?

Is a Hub flange not able to be welded to create the lug again? Either the material cant be welded or heat will distort the hub casing too much?

I cry seeing schlumpf’s broken

He got the idea from another forum a few post up and it will destroy the body to weld it

Roger that, Thanks for the references. cheers