A quick survey

I’m writing a research paper, and this survey is going to be part of it. Honest answers would be great. Thanks in advance. The research paper is not on unicycling, but I’m including other sports for comparison

1)Full name:
2)Gender:
3)Age:
4)Current Height:
5)Current Weight:
6)How long have you been unicycling?
7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you?
8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling?
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet?
10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being?
11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength?
12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started?
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems?
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun?
15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise?
16)Any other comments on unicycling?

1)Full name: Eric Alan Pearson
2)Gender: Male
3)Age: 16
4)Current Height: 5’ 11"
5)Current Weight: 150
4 years 2 months
2 hours or more
Ballet Dancing(40+ hours a week)
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet?
No. N/A
Yes, very much so.
Yes.
Distance: Almost indefinetly… Time: Several Hours
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems?
Mobile: Yes, Flexible: no. N/A
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun?
Yes, dancing. Not even nearly. Yes.
Yes, very much so.
One of the best things that has ever happened to me, and I don’t know what I would be like without it, although, I can be sure that I wouldn’t be as happy.

1)Full name: Andrew Carter
3)Age: 19
4)Current Height: 181cm / 6’
5)Current Weight: 68kg / 150 lb
6)How long have you been unicycling? 3 years
7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? 2 hours
8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? Soccer, weekly.
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? No.
10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? Yes.
11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? Possibly better ‘toned’ abs, but no real increase in strength.
12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? Hour(s)
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? No
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? Yes, yes, no.
15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? Occasionally, depending on the style. Muni and trials are good for me.
16)Any other comments on unicycling? It has really improved my balance, I had pretty poor balance to begin with.

Andrew

1)Full name: Nathan Tappin
3)Age: 17
4)Current Height: 5’ 10"
5)Current Weight: 110-115
2 months
1 hour on week days and 4-6 hours on unicycling days
ultimate frisbee about once a week
no hopefully I have gained weight
sure?
yes upper body strenght
well I think I’m still starting but I have been able to go longer than say a month ago
no not really, I have actualy started to get flare ups in my knees that I used to get when I skateboarded
I could have but it wouldnt have been as fun
yep its a full body workout
fun and good for you, if you enjoy it then it is wonderful

1)Full name: Mat Arconi
3)Age: 15
4)Current Height: 160cm / ~5’5"?
5)Current Weight: 125 lbs
6)How long have you been unicycling? 3 years,(6 months seriously)
7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? 2 to 4 hours or even all day
8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? karate 2x a week.
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? yes. If so, how much? five pounds o’ fat. Was this accompanied by a diet? No, it wasnt. but it was accompanied by karate
10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? Yes. definately. i was in a deep depression, but when i started this it gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. now i’s happy :smiley:
11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? awexome abs, combined with karate, i have a four pack or so now!
12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? an eternity.
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? no, but yes to the second. It solved a dual knee problem, an inflamed tendon or somfink under my patella from the underdevelopment of my muscles on the inner leg/thigh. they don’t hurt anymore walking up stairs.
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy( you mean hard, right?) ? As fun? not really, maybe karate. no, and no.
15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? muni, trials, and distance riding. yes, all good.
16)Any other comments on unicycling? Highly improved balance, awesome kudos from many people, and some stares from some hot lady-types. :sunglasses:

Re: A quick survey

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:47:43 -0500, audhumla wrote:

>I’m writing a research paper, and this survey is going to be part of it.
>Honest answers would be great. Thanks in advance.

PM sent.

Can you in due time please post a ‘statistical’ summary of the
unicyclists anwers in this forum?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit diddle dit dit dit diddle dit dit, diddle-diddle-diddle-diddle-dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it,… - Spudman”

1)Full name: alex toms
2)Gender: man
3)Age: 19
4)Current Height: 6’1’’
5)Current Weight: 177lbs
6)How long have you been unicycling? 6 years
7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? 3 hours
8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? work too hard
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? nope
10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? definitely
11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? very noticable, but we do take a lot of our core strength and balance for granted.
12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? less, unfit as hell
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? n/a. although i have a chronic ankle problem because of it.
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? no
15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? yeah, the Zen of unicycling is good for you
16)Any other comments on unicycling? nope

1)Full name: Joseph Thomas Burzynski
3)Age: 17
4)Current Height: 77", 195.58cm, or 6’5"
5)Current Weight: 170lbs, 77kg
6)How long have you been unicycling? ~10 months
7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? 30-45 minutes
8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? longjumping, running, surfing
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? bah, I don’t care much about my weight - I have a fast metabolism.
10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? definately.
11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? none that I haven’t noticed from 10yrs of soccer.
12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? exponentially.
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? no, but i still think it’s a great & easily-adaptable sport.
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? no?. nothing quite the same/as fun.
15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? of course. I sweat after every ride.
16)Any other comments on unicycling? I don’t undertsand why more people can’t seem to get interested in unicycling :thinking: .

1)Full name: Carson Leeds Hall Cole
3)Age: 15
4)Current Height: 5-5
5)Current Weight: 130
6)How long have you been unicycling? About 8 months
7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? depending on weather, around 5-7 min. around my house 2-4 times a day. but with the weather getting cooler now I’m go for longer times.
8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? about 6 hours or more a week with out unicycling
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? Not really since I’m still growing
10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? yes
11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? leg and arm strength (jumping)
12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? hard to say at first I could go about 2 miles before my legs got tired but now about 5 miles I guess
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? yes, haven’t had movement problems
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? yes,maybe, no
15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? definitely
16)Any other comments on unicycling? babe magnet

1)Full name: Michael Atkinson
2)Gender: M
3)Age: 16
4)Current Height: 5’11"
5)Current Weight: 145 lbs
6)How long have you been unicycling? about two yeares
7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? depends…but anywhere from 1 to 4 hours usually.
8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? oh yes…I’m a runner. usually, right now I have a broken foot, so I can’t run OR unicycle. but normally I run every day, and lift weights often too.
9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? I don’t think so, no…
10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? yes, definitely. it makes me feel better when I go riding.
11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? probably…but I started running around the time I started unicycling too, so I attribute my gain in muscle to both running and unicycling.
12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? well, when I first started, I couldn’t ride :stuck_out_tongue: but I remember back when I was super stoked to get to the end of my driveway, then to the end of my street, then to the park half a mile away…and I was always soo tired when I got there. but now I can go like 15 miles before I get too tired.
13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? hrmm, probably…I haven’t really noticed any though.
14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? like I said, I probably gained a lot of [9-13] from running as well. its harder to be a runner than a unicyclist, and sometimes not as fun though.
15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? definitely
16)Any other comments on unicycling? nope

1)Jack Olsen
2)Male
3)22
4)5’6"
5)155 lbs
6)2 years
7)1.5 hours
8)Yes
9)No weight loss but definitely replaced some fat with muscle.
10)Absolutely
11)Yes
12)At least 20 times longer
13)No
14)Yes but not as easily or nearly as fun.
15)Yes
16)Easiest way to great abs.

1. Seth Frederickson
  2. Male
  3. 15
  4. 5’5" and a half
  5. 105lbs
  6. almost a year
  7. 1-2.5 hours
  8. no
  9. no weight loss & no
    10.yes i guess so
  10. id say so because when i go out to ride it seems like i can go a little further each time without getting tired.
  11. much longer, i can now ride for 10 miles without getting tired.
  12. no, because i always was flexable.
  13. i guess i could of, but it wouldn’t of been for fun thats for sure!
  14. yes
  15. unicycling is de best, if you dont’t have one get one!

[LIST=1]

• Full name: [B]David C. Lowell[/B]
  • Current Height: [B]6' 0"[/B]
  • Current Weight: [B]205 pounds[/B]
  • How long have you been unicycling? [B]3 years[/B]
  • How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? [B]30 minutes to 3 hours. Sometimes I ride at lunch when time is limited. Mountain unicycle rides and distance rides tend to be several hours. Fun rides can be anything. There is no typical.[/B]
  • Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? [B]No, but I occasionally hike[/B]
  • Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? [B]Yes, at one point the pounds were flying off when I was mountain unicycling frequently.[/B] If so, how much? [B]maybe 15 pounds [/B]Was this accompanied by a diet? [B]I was eating a bit less. Same stuff, just less.[/B]
  • Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? [B]Yes, definitely[/B]
  • Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? [B]yes, calf muscles (too much)[/B]
  • How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? [B]I went from zero to unlimited in terms of not falling off. At one point, I was doing 15 to 20 miles on consecutive days, with one 25 mile day.[/B]
  • Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? [B]More mobile, yes. I am much better at walking now. I mean, I was good at it before, but now there is an added sense of fluidity and grace and solidness and balance as I move around. I suspect a martial artist would have the same feeling.[/B] Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? [B]N/A[/B]
  • Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? [B]Yes, hiking maybe.[/B] Would it have been as easy? [B]As an activity, unicycling is [i]hard[/i] to learn. As an exercise, it's [I]easy[/I] to do every day because its so much fun. So I'll say, "no, not as easy" because hiking would lack the "fun factor" and I wouldn't do it often enough.[/B] As fun? [B]No, nothing is as much fun as unicycling.[/B]
  • Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? [B]Yes, it's a great exercise. No other exercise is as fun and self-motivational. I don't consider it "exercise" (although it has many such benefits). I simply call it "fun".[/B]
  • Any other comments on unicycling? [B]It changed my life dramatically (for the better, obviously).[/B] [/LIST]
  • 1)David Smith
    2)Male
    3)16
    4)6’3" (or maybe 4, go with 3)
    5)230 lbs
    6)About 5 months
    7)by myself, 30 minutes, with someone else, 2 hours
    8)I wish
    9)If by weight loss you mean stop myself from gaining weight, then yes! No diet involved.
    10)Most definitely
    11)Most definitely
    12)20 feet at start, now about 3 km (2 miles)
    13)Most definitely more mobile. No joint problems to worry about, so no it didnt fix any.
    14)With 9, 10, 11, and 13 ya, but 11, not quite sure with any form of exercise. Probably alot easier to get started other exercises, keeping it up would be alot harder. Definitely not as fun.
    15)Most definitely
    16)Most definitely

1)Full name: Brian Olej
    3)Age: 18
    4)Current Height: 5’ 57’’
    5)Current Weight: 155
    6)How long have you been unicycling? A month and a half
    7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? three hours
    8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? In the spring I run track and field every day.
    9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? Havnt measured, but if anything Ive gained muscle mass and in turn put on weight.
    10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? Most definitely
    11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? Yes.
    12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? I couldnt ride at all when I first started (obviously) I can ride now until my butt gets sore.
    13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? Yes for all of the above.
    14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? Yes, easier but not as fun.
    15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? Yes
    16)Any other comments on unicycling? It all around made me feel better about myself.

1)Full name:Eric Buxton
    3)Age:19
    4)Current Height: 5 11
    5)Current Weight:160
    6)How long have you been unicycling? 1 year
    7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? Depending on the mood and type of riding. 20min-
    2hours
    8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? Running hiking and Biking
    No.
    10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? Yes
    11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? Not reall, balance and coordination ye.
    12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? I can ride without falling off and killing myself
    13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? much more flexible
    It would have have not been easier. I feel like unicycling skills come from muscle memorization and havefamilair experience being on a uni.

yes, it can be very aerobic
    16)Any other comments on unicycling no, other than unicycling if by far the coolest thing a person can do

1)Full name: Steve Relles
    3)Age: 42
    4)Current Height: 5’6"
    5)Current Weight:148 lbs
    6)How long have you been unicycling? 15 months
    7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? 1-3 hrs
    8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? Ultimate frisbee
    9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? No, and none needed.
    10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? Yes
    11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? Core strength, big-time
    12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? Infinity times longer, because I couldn’t ride at all when I first started.
    13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? Unicycling has helped tremendously in restoring the muscles in my right knee after an ACL replacement 2 yrs ago.
    14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? My other big sport is an incredible workout, more aerobic than unicycling, but I find unicycling to be WAY fun and it has supplanted ultimate as my favorite.
    15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? Yes, esp. core workout.
    16)Any other comments on unicycling? No other sport gives such a gravity-cheating thrill with such low risk of injury.

1)Full name: John Foss
    2)Gender: Occasionally
    3)Age: 43
    4)Current Height: 6’-0"
    5)Current Weight: 190
    6)How long have you been unicycling? Almost 26 years
    7)How long does a typical unicycle session last for you? At least 2 hours, not counting drive time to get to the trail (or commuting to work, about 40 min. each way)
    8)Do you regurally do any other exercises besides unicycling? Nope.
    9)Has unicycling provided any notable weight loss? If so, how much? Was this accompanied by a diet? I now weigh about 40 lbs more than when I first started riding. To me this is due to not riding enough. If I had no other form of physical activity in my life, I would probably weigh more.
    10)Do you feel that unicycling has improved your sense of well being? 100%
    11)Has unicycling built any noticeable strength? Pretty much all I’ve got. Physical strength and strength of being.
    12)How much longer can you unicycle than when you first started? Unfortunately this question is meaningless. When I first started I couldn’t ride at all. About a month ago I did my longest ride in years, at around 42 miles.
    13)Do you think unicycling has made you more mobile/flexible? Has it helped with any joint or muscle movement problems? I think it has kept me healthier than I would have been without it. It holds back the hands of time.
    14)Do you think that you could have achieved [9-13] with any form of exercise other than unicycling? Would it have been as easy? As fun? Yes, easier, and probably not, but that’s all a matter of what we choose to be interested in.
    15)Do you think unicycling is a good exercise? No, it’s a great exercise.

Unicycle been 'bery good to me. I have meet thousands of fascinating people, traveled all over the world, lived in three different parts of the country all due to unicycling. I have helped to develop it as a sport, created the concept of MUni Weekends, invented several competition events, been national and world champion (after helping create world championships). I have entertained hundreds of thousands of people all over the world. All these experiences, and the skills and fitness I have acquired, can never be taken away from me. Except the fitness I guess, if I don’t keep up the riding…

Survey…

1. Uniwitold.
      2)Male.
      3)70.
      4)163cm.
      5)75.4kg
      6)5 years
      7)45min to one hour…
      8)Yes.
      9)In a way yes.The yearning too go on motivetes discipline…‘not to overeat and not to overdrink’. I am naturally lazy and want my pleasures easy=eating,
      but this belated passion keeps me alert to priorities.
      10)Immensly!
      11)It has returned relatively youthful grace of movement e.g. …‘spring’ while walking.
      12)45 min to an hour.
      13)Yes.It sorted ahes and pains in lumbar spine caused by tripple stress fractures of vertebral arches as vell as stopped and reversed wear and tear
      =ostheoarthritis in both knee joints.Body’s weight is kept in control.
      15)Superb!!!
      16)I have picked this idea-unicycling as a tool to keep my adrenaline up after I have retired from my profession which effectively fulfilled the above mentioned .
      I can assure you unicycling, no matter what level I am, was a GOOD choice.:smiley:

1)Full name: Bernard Amade
    3)Age: 57
    4)Current Height: 1m77
    5)Current Weight: 74 Kg
    3 year - (minus 8 months)
    1h30
    playing brass (real exercise!)
    no but helps me not to gain weight
    VERY MUCH
    no (except balance)
    a lot (don’t actually understand the question)
    YES spine much more flexible and strong, on the other hand problems with Achille’s tendons
    NO
    definitely YES
    fun, ZEN, good for my mental health